The Personas Farang Take On When Talking To Thais

YoungAndRice

Hopefully, I will not start a flame war, as I am not trying to be negative and none of this angers me, I just find it humorous, so hopefully this will remain light-hearted.

1. When I hear/witness Farang interacting with Thai's, it often feels like they are rehersing some sort of prepackaged "I am a rich farang and you are a Thai who is very happy that I would acknowledging that you are alive". Now, perhaps when the farang starts chatting up locals that he only vaguely knows, they do feel some kind of self worth. I have seen the twinkle in some of their eyes, but the questions and the words many farang use, it often seems like he does not actually care about their answers or communicating with them, but rather just acting out some sort of skit as though they are the haandsome guy wearing the clean white outfit on a Thai Soap Opera and they are showing their hospitality to the maid.

Example

GF who is a a dual citizen and I get off a plane in NYC, farang lady starts talking to her in Thai on the immigration line, after a bunch of small talk she tells her "you look nervous. don't worry, I know many Thais who were allowed into America". Perhaps I am thinking too much into it, but there often seems to be that subtle (probably subconscious) condesceding attitude used by many farang when interacting with Thais.

Hopefully, I will not start a flame war, as I am not trying to be negative and none of this angers me, I just find it humorous, so hopefully this will remain light-hearted.

1. When I hear/witness Farang interacting with Thai's, it often feels like they are rehersing some sort of prepackaged "I am a rich farang and you are a Thai who is very happy that I would acknowledging that you are alive". Now, perhaps when the farang starts chatting up locals that he only vaguely knows, they do feel some kind of self worth. I have seen the twinkle in some of their eyes, but the questions and the words many farang use, it often seems like he does not actually care about their answers or communicating with them, but rather just acting out some sort of skit as though they are the haandsome guy wearing the clean white outfit on a Thai Soap Opera and they are showing their hospitality to the maid.

Example

GF who is a a dual citizen and I get off a plane in NYC, farang lady starts talking to her in Thai on the immigration line, after a bunch of small talk she tells her "you look nervous. don't worry, I know many Thais who were allowed into America". Perhaps I am thinking too much into it, but there often seems to be that subtle (probably subconscious) condesceding attitude used by many farang when interacting with Thais.

I interact very little with farang in Thailand as their colonial attitudes towards the Thais send my blood pressure up.

I've been in restaurants and overheard expats discussing in loud voices how all the Thais are stupid and how dirty the country is while Thai staff are standing around them waiting to serve them. Whatever your opinions of Thailand, its impolite to declare loudly that your hosts are stupid and that the country you are a guest in is dirty.

Funnily enough I'm not particularly annoyed by the tattoo and singlet crowd getting drunk and groping girls in bars as the Thais who are working in those places know what to expect and those farang don't know any better. Its the expats who are making a living and should know better who only act like this in Thailand because they know they'll get away with it whereas almost anywhere else in the world behaving like such pompous pricks would get them a smack in the mouth

I interact very little with farang in Thailand as their colonial attitudes towards the Thais send my blood pressure up.

So you think all farangs are alike with "colonial" attitudes, so you avoid farangs. Oy vey! This thread is going to be hilarious.

Don't you think that is equally stupid as the farangs you encountered who use the same kind of offensive generalities?

Europeans in Thailand are not colonialists. That even sounds kind of paranoid.

Edited by Jingthing

I was warned by a farang monk who happened to be in America before my first trip to Thailand 10 years ago, "Be very careful when you meet other Westerners in Thailand, they are like vampires!" Wise words indeed that have served me well over the years. Of course, I have met many, many lovely farang in and about Thailand, but they are definitely in the minority. Tolerance and love and a bit of distance are tools well used.

The Farang Vampires of Thailand

Sounds like a great movie pitch. Thanks! Maybe a cartoon version would be the ticket.

Is this the demonizing farang thread? Why not just call us white ghost devils and be done with it.

Edited by Jingthing

So you think all farangs are alike with "colonial" attitudes, so you avoid farangs. Oy vey! This thread is going to be hilarious.

Don't you think that is equally stupid as the farangs you encountered who use the same kind of offensive generalities?

Europeans in Thailand are not colonialists. That even sounds kind of paranoid.

No I don't think ALL farang are alike. Ever heard of a "strawman" argument? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I did NOT say that Europeans are colonialist, I said they have they have colonial attitudes, which is a figure of speech meaning to be overbearing, arrogant and patronising to the locals based on an innate belief in their racial and cultural superiority. As you can see colonial attitudes is two words, as opposed to the full verbose version of 20 words. I keep forgetting that many here are not native English speakers, so I apologise for my use of figures of speech.

Colonial attitudes? Living here 7 plus years I have to admit that I have overheard the odd conversation that were derogatory toward Thai's while dining out but for the most part I don't agree with "Theyreal rubish". What I do notice time after time are the so called rich Thai who look down on their own kind and treat wait staff in restaurants like they don't even exist. This I have never seen by the farang who live here in Thailand. I think the farang who you think are expats are in fact tourists and just don't know any better as they are ignorant. Over the holidays I've been dining out constantly all over BKK where many expats eat and drink, places where the average tourist never end up and I never heard a derogatory comment or was anybody condescending, quite the opposite as I most of us are happy to be here. They real rubbish, I think you need to get out more often and interact with more farang as you will see most of us are not what you think.

so called rich Thai who look down on their own kind and treat wait staff in restaurants like they don't even exist
I agree, as a pure generality, farangs treat "loso" Thai MUCH better than hiso Thai treat loso Thai.
not native English speakers

I am not from England; thanks for your kind tolerance, Sir. Or should I say Massah.

Edited by Jingthing

Colonial attitudes? Living here 7 plus years I have to admit that I have overheard the odd conversation that were derogatory toward Thai's while dining out but for the most part I don't agree with "Theyreal rubish". What I do notice time after time are the so called rich Thai who look down on their own kind and treat wait staff in restaurants like they don't even exist. This I have never seen by the farang who live here in Thailand. I think the farang who you think are expats are in fact tourists and just don't know any better as they are ignorant. Over the holidays I've been dining out constantly all over BKK where many expats eat and drink, places where the average tourist never end up and I never heard a derogatory comment or was anybody condescending, quite the opposite as I most of us are happy to be here. They real rubbish, I think you need to get out more often and interact with more farang as you will see most of us are not what you think.

I agree with flightcrew 1. This is something I see quite often here. I find the attitude of some phu yai towards restaurant staff, shop assistants etc, to be incredibly embarassing; in fact, I usually treat the staff with increased courtesy to "compensate". A little futile probably but I just hate to see people treated this way. This was one thing that I wasn't expecting when I first came to LOS, the importance of status. Ok, I realise that you will encounter that all over the world to a greater or lesser extent. But I was shocked to see people cow-towing to others purely due to their perceived wealth. It makes the British class system of today seem positively egalitarian in comparison. I suppose this is only to be expected in a land that is still largely hierarchical, feudal almost.

I did NOT say that Europeans are colonialist, I said they have they have colonial attitudes, which is a figure of speech meaning to be overbearing, arrogant and patronising to the locals based on an innate belief in their racial and cultural superiority..

You seem to forget the yanks in this sentence.

and then Why does Coffee tastes like Coffee? :o

Next time a dog is barking at me without any obvious reason I will sue that animal!

A friend of mine said the other day... discussing a similiar topic..."You know, I've been in Africa, Asia, the Americas, Australia, in various European countries A..holes are a universal threat and come in all colors and variations!" :D

Edited by Samuian

I don't think its a condescending attitude. I consider my self pretty egalitarian and don't walk around with my nose up in the air. When I'm speaking in English to non native speaker I have to carefully speak using simple words, to effectivly communicate and make sure I'm understood. sometimes resorting to pidgeon English(Tinglish).

In all honesty, I get the OP's point. I have observed this kind of behavior from some farangs and part of it is because of the way some Thais do respond to the attention, so it is mutally reinforcing. However, I don't see it as pervasive or even all that common.

I did NOT say that Europeans are colonialist, I said they have they have colonial attitudes, which is a figure of speech meaning to be overbearing, arrogant and patronising to the locals based on an innate belief in their racial and cultural superiority..

You seem to forget the yanks in this sentence.

Strike home did it?

The Thai restaurant routine:

Often, when a Thai customer wants to pay the bill, they start signaling with their hand for the waiter/waitress to come to the table... often for several minutes.

The w/w comes to the table and is informed the patron would like the bill.

The w/w walks to the cashier to pick up the bill.

The w/w walks to the table with the bill and the patron gives him/her the money.

The w/w walks to the cashier with the money and the bill.

The w/w then walks back to the table with the change

The Thai patron often disputes with the w/w the bill or the change received.

Etc., etc.

I usually just get up and walk to the cashier and save the w/w several trips to the table... I tell them that I am an American and we don't know any better... and I just want to save the w/w from walking several times back and forth. I have never seen a Thai do the same.