Tax Information

I am a US citizen married to a Thai lady. In July I applied for an 'O' visa with all the supporting

documentation. When my passport was returned the category was 'B'. I have been to the

Bangkok immigartion office and their answer was "mai bpen rai"

Now I am preparing to return to the States for several weeks. This year I have been in Thailand

about 5 months (two months - Jan/Feb and the current 90 days)

My question: do I need some kind of tax stamp or cetificate when I leave Thailand? I have not

worked or earned any income in Thailand during my stay.

Any help will be appreciated

A related question:

At the bottom of the TM6 Departure Card, it says:

"...Alien staying over ninety days in Thailand without income must possess a tax clearance certificate from the Revenue Department before leaving Thailand. If not, will not be permitted to leave."

Anyone have a take on this? Does it apply to any and all who extend their 'O' visas?

The law dates back in the 80's and before. It was a real pain, especially for retired people.

It was rescinded in the early 90's but the TM card still lists the requirement. As Lopburi says, the Tax Clearance is no longer needed.

Edited by astral

It was rescinded in the early 90's but the TM card still lists the requirement. As Lopburi says, the Tax Clearance is no longer needed.

The TM card is probably due for an overhaul. The tax clearance instruction should be removed. The space for your address in Thailand should be increased. Seems to me like they should ask when your passport expires rather than when it was issued. A few more choices could be added to the "Purpose of visit" section.