Useless Facts

I think we are going off topic here, there are some post with "usefull" information.

If an atom is mainly made of space, and light passes through space very well i.e the 93 million miles from the sun to the earth, I think it would be reasonable to think it could get an extra 30,000 feet to the bottom of the sea, dont you?

Then again if an atom is mainly space, if you shine a light at a plate of steel, why doesn't it go through???

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we are going off topic here, there are some post with "usefull" information.

If an atom is mainly made of space, and light passes through space very well i.e the 93 million miles from the sun to the earth, I think it would be reasonable to think it could  get an extra 30,000 feet to the bottom of the sea, dont you?

Then again if an atom is mainly space, if you shine a light at a plate of steel, why doesn't it go through???

The electrons whizzing around the nucleus form a sort of shell, travelling at nearly the speed of light as they do. With the millions of atoms in the steel plate it's almost a dead cert that any photon directed at it will hit a shell at some point.

If an atom is mainly made of space, and light passes through space very well i.e the 93 million miles from the sun to the earth, I think it would be reasonable to think it could  get an extra 30,000 feet to the bottom of the sea, dont you?

The electrons whizzing around the nucleus form a sort of shell, travelling at nearly the speed of light as they do. With the millions of atoms in the steel plate it's almost a dead cert that any photon directed at it will hit a shell at some point.

Also, technically, the electrons are not particles (except when they are) but little wave forms running around the atoms- so that the incoming photons of light, which are also not particles (except when they are) get entangled with them, making them 'excited.' When they finish being excited they send the photons back out. Except for the ones that aren't exactly the right energy.

It's much harder to explain why two physical objects like your feet and the floor can't just pass through each other, since they are (mostly) made of very spacey mass, unlike light which isn't (except sometimes-ish). In that case, the reason is that the electron particle-wave thingys don't like each other [and neither do the postive wave-particle thingies in the nucleus] and repel contact from a (very, very small) distance with electrostatic force. In other words, the reason that you don't fall through the floor is roughly the same reason your hair sticks up when it has too much static.

Also, technically, the electrons are not particles (except when they are) but little wave forms running around the atoms- so that the incoming photons of light, which are also not particles (except when they are) get entangled with them, making them 'excited.' When they finish being excited they send the photons back out. Except for the ones that aren't exactly the right energy.

It's much harder to explain why two physical objects like your feet and the floor can't just pass through each other, since they are (mostly) made of very spacey mass, unlike light which isn't (except sometimes-ish). In that case, the reason is that the electron particle-wave thingys don't like each other [and neither do the postive wave-particle thingies in the nucleus] and repel contact from a (very, very small) distance with electrostatic force. In other words, the reason that you don't fall through the floor is roughly the same reason your hair sticks up when it has too much static.

Thanks for explaining that, so clearly. I bet you are a great teacher :o

Thanks for explaining that, so clearly. I bet you are a great teacher :D

Well, if you wanted the USEFUL explanation I'd be a great teacher! This is the useless explanation! :D:o:D

so the reason we have transparent objects must be they have no electrons then. :o

No, no, they have SHY electrons!

Just kidding- transparent objects absorb and re-transmit electromagnetic waves in the visible light spectrum freely, usually because they are amorphous and have no crystalline structure...

:D

"Steven"

there is a spacestation over thailand until 12 december

And hopefully the closest their Space program will ever get to it. Are they still planning on developing a space program?

Why would a country need to reach developed status, when you can waste billions of Baht sending a manned space crew to the outer limits with Tuk-Tuk 1? Thats how you take care of your people; showing the world that you don't need a permit to burn junk in space, oh, and give them a cow on election day too. Thats love.

there is a spacestation over thailand until 12 december

And hopefully the closest their Space program will ever get to it. Are they still planning on developing a space program?

Why would a country need to reach developed status, when you can waste billions of Baht sending a manned space crew to the outer limits with Tuk-Tuk 1? Thats how you take care of your people; showing the world that you don't need a permit to burn junk in space, oh, and give them a cow on election day too. Thats love.

Jeez, Igotworms, that's deep.

And useless...

Perhaps you missed it when Toxin or some other useless <deleted> within the current govt. announced their intentions of creating a top notch space program in Thailand.

I figured if they ever made it to space, they would just burn stuff. When I drive around here or Hatyai, all people do is burn stuff. It doesn't matter where they are, they have no quams about burning leaves, trees, plastic and garbage next to a school loaded with children, or across the street from Central or smack dab in the middle of a populous residential area. Heck, my neighbors are burning shit as we speak. Whenever the wind changes, my living room fills with the stench of burning. I can't get away from it.

I think they only want to get to space so they can burn more shit.

Useless? Nah.