Tape Worms

December 1st I adopted a stray kitten that landed on our doorstep. Took her to the Vet and got her shots, dewormed and neutered. Well she has now had 3 doses of liquid worm medicine and this morning she is still passing tapeworms. I mean multiple 24 inch + worms. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a kitten worm free. I must say the process of evacuating the worms is messy, smelly and gross. :o

Are you sure that what you have seen were tapeworms?

The deworming syrup, I guess it is yellow colour. If so, I think it may be Pyrantel Pamoate. And it's for roundworms.

If it is really tapeworm, you have to tell your vet to change the medicine as using Praziquantel instead.

Moreover, you have to eradicate of fleas because they are intermediate host of tapeworms.

Bambina, I took the kitten to the vet as she had the worms trailing out of her backside. He removed them and said they were tapeworms. After googling the images on the net I am sure that is what they are. The vet then gave her a 2nd dose of the yellow liquid and said we would give her the tablets in about 3 months. She was still passing the worms so I took her back in and he dosed her again with the yellow liquid.

Every few days she was still passing the worms so I have now taken her to a different vet and was informed that she had been receiving the wrong medicine for tapeworm. We have now given her what I believe is the correct medicine for the tapeworm. Hopefully she will be rid of them shortly. She really is a good kitten and a good little companion.

Lu