Teaching Position At Hotels

carlton

I have been offered a teaching possie at a well known five star hotel in Bangkok.

8.30 to 5.30 Mon to Fri, 12.30 to 4.30 sat, probably 4 contact hours per day, approx 33,000 plus insurance etc etc.

I am currently working at a private language school, 30 hours per week, 48,000.

I don't know whether to stay put at a place I am quite happy at - I get the odd sleep in and get to control my own hours or take the plunge and move to a big company which may be a good move for the future.

Does anyone have any advice, comments, experiences working in the hotel industry. Any comments will be appreciated.

Confused.

Go to the hotel where you want to work, and make your own deal :o

Design a special course for their employees (seperate for management staff) Charge per head or per course, with a minimum/maximum class size.

In my experience, it's best when you're calling the shots. I know you can make more money and be more in control if you have the PR skills.

Hospitals are also where I've made serious dosh in the past. Working through the hospital Training Manager is best, but I've also made class deals with small groups of nurses myself... At BH 7 years ago, I charged 75 baht per head, per hour (competitive with ECC and the like, at that time), 10 person mimimum, 20 max. First 10 hours up front. Never lacked intrested students. Nice gig

Think I saw that advert. Thought about then dismissed it because of the increase in hours, having to work weekends, they were also a bit vague about the consistancy of the "allowance" on top of the basic.

Also I know a friend who had a job with a big hotel down south. Went down there with all his stuff from Bangkok, was promised a free hand, all different levels then got about 20% attendence because of meetings, staff shortages ( they had to work rather than go to class ) management interference and then the Training manager changed and decided he didnt need a farang, fired him and hired a philipino instead - much cheaper. Of course, he wasnt told that, he found it out later - students dont like you he was told. ( strange how it was one of the students he kept in touch with who told him about the philipino! )

From reading the boards for the last couple of years, it does seem that come a downturn, the first thing they cut is training and you get different bosses coming in with their own ideas......

Up to you.