Cha Yen

jimf

So I've been living in Bangkok about 6 months now, and I've fallen in love with Thai ice tea "Cha Yen"... well i've decided I want to make this at home, but I'm having a hard time finding where to get the tea and the sock filters to make it.

After some reasearch on the internet I found out the tea used is a blended tea, not your normal teabags etc. Well I've been to villa market, Big C, and Lotus and I can't seem to find this tea, I asked for "Cha Thai" and just got confused looks... one store pointed me to a nestle 3 in 1 instant Cha Yen mix, so I tried this out, and its just not the same or as good as the stuff on the street.

If anyone could help me out with where I can buy this tea and a filter (preferably somewhere in downtown Bangkok) I would really appreciate it =)

-Jim

1)the sock filters - I bought it from Tesco Lotus. It's about 29-30 Baht

2)Tea(orange) - You can find it easily from local market as ชาตราแพะ (Goat Brand) and ชาตรามือ (Hand Brand)

tea.gif

img_3.jpg

img_5.jpg

Edited by BambinA

2)Tea(orange) - You can find it easily from local market as ชาตราแพะ (Goat Brand) and ชาตรามือ (Hand Brand)

Awsome, thanks BambinA... I also found this site http://importfood.com/thaiicetea.html which says the tea they are selling is a product of thailand, so I assume you can get that here also - though I dont remember seeing its package... i think i saw the goat Brand package you linked above though at one of the markets i went to today. I will check out the market tomorrow to see what i find!

-Jim

I believe that you have to buy a can of นมข้นหวาน (Sweetened Condensed Milk) for adjusting the flavour (yes..with sugar too)

00357.jpg

and also buy a can of นมข้นจืด Evaporated Milk (as NESTLÉ CARNATION ) for topping

evaporated.gif

ps. About the sock filters, you may have to check at cookery section of Tesco ( as you can see woks and spoons there)

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

Finally, I can find a forum with people with same interest..I like thai beverage. I wonder if anyone in this forum know which brand is the best for thai tea and thai coffee.

Btw, does anyone know what place to sell this stuff? I have plan to visit Phuket this year. I don't live in Thailand or USA.

• 2 weeks later...

My M-I-L makes cha yen with my Tetleys tea bags from home! If you buy Thai brands...remember cheap tea will give you a cheap chaa yen..get the best quality you can afford. But to be honest, I don't know anyone here in Trang who makes it at home for personal use...you have to make pretty big batches for it to be worthwhile....everyone just buys it out.

tea.gif

img_3.jpg

img_5.jpg

Does anyone here have idea how much bath of 1 pack tea?