Teaching In Chiang Mai

salparadise

Sa wat dii khrap, (just practicing)

I have looked around to various posts but have yet to see enough like my situation to get all of my questions answered, so if you all will edure me if I am redundant. First, I suspect I should tell a bit of my story. I am a 30 year old high school English teacher, having 7 years of experience. I have a BA in English with post graduate courses in English Education. I am moving to Thailand for several reasons, not the least of which is the chance to live in a Buddhist culture and study Buddhism. Also, I wish to teach, which as I have learned is a different business in Thailand, even, it would seem, in Chiang Mai. I have chosen to move to Chiang Mai due to the less metro atmosphere and the heavy concentration of Wats.

Now my questions,

1) Does a BA in English or Western teaching credentials exempt a teacher from needing TEFL courses? I often see a degree and TEFL cert. required; but it doesn't state whether or not a degree in English qualifies for both. ALso, which should catch more of an eye, the degree in English or the high school teaching experience? I am just unsure what my credentials or worth in a saturated market-place.

2) Does any one know of an English in the Wats program, i.e. voluntary English lessons to the monks or those working for Wats. I don't wish to seem so Westernized to think that the monks would even wish to learn English. I read in Lonely Planet that a Wat has a chat section to it in which the monks will chat with visitors to "help improve their English."

3) How difficult is life without independent transportation?

Lastly, 4) I have read two schools of thoughts about attaining employment, one stating to wait until one gets to Thailand to gain employment. Is that vastly agreed upon or should one get a job before arriving?

Thank you all very much for soooo much information. The past forum strings have been an amazing source of information. I am certain I will have more questions, but rest assured your time is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Paradise

Happy New Year, Paradise,

Last night, we spent a good part of the evening trying to figure out how a less credentialed teacher might survive and thrive in Chiang Mai, teaching English. Your qualifications, however, seem a definite cut above the rest. From what you say, you are fully certified by the British system as being a fully qualified teacher of secondary education. Those are the quals expected for teaching in an international school, of which Chiang Mai has about five. Salary level might be double that of a mere TEFL teacher, and you wouldn't need a TEFL certification because you'd be teaching in an all-English speaking environment. Of course, the chance of there being an opening is scarce.

The wat with the regular chats in English with the monks is probably Wat Suan Dok, on Suthep Road. I knew a Buddhist convert who taught there part time (for free), but again, there are very few such positions, and not likely to be an opening in a given year.

You are overqualified to take one of the TEFL positions that pay between 20 and 30K per month in the area.

It's early in the morning so now I'll try to step aside and let the others put in their two pence. You'd be better off to secure a position before coming, if possible.

1. With a degree and PGCE you can find work in an International School and earn decent bucks. You could probably find work as a subject teacher in an EP/MEP/Bilingual Programme but the hiring season won't start until Feb/March for May. A TEFL is probably more relevant if you wish to teach English as a Foreign Language. It will give you the skills necessary to step into a classroom of 50 kids who have an English Lexis of 50 words and phrases. How do you structure the lesson, how do you give instructions etc.

2. Wat Suandok along Suthep Rd. runs a monk chat programme.

3. Chiang Mai opens up if you have a honda dream and don't have to rely on tuktuks and songtaews.

4. Most Thai schools want to meet you and therefore recruit locally. International schools recruit through fairs and locally. Foreign recruited teachers earn more bucks.

Edited by Loaded

Thank you for all who replied so quickly, and I do hope others will share their wisdom. I failed to mention that I am American and not familiar with some acronyms such as some of the ones in Loaded's post. Also, not being familiar with the British system, I don't know if I am certifiable by there standards, if that matters. Is it easier for British or American residents of Chiang Mai, or about the same? Also, the first reply, Blondie I believe, mentioned me being over-qualified for a TEFL job. Does that mean that they do not hire English certified teachers or that I wouldn't want to do that job for the pay? Again, thank you for your assistance and look forward to more input. I do hope that the city is as inviting and helpful as this forum group.

Paradise

Thank you for all who replied so quickly, and I do hope others will share their wisdom. I failed to mention that I am American and not familiar with some acronyms such as some of the ones in Loaded's post. Also, not being familiar with the British system, I don't know if I am certifiable by there standards, if that matters. Is it easier for British or American residents of Chiang Mai, or about the same? Also, the first reply, Blondie I believe, mentioned me being over-qualified for a TEFL job. Does that mean that they do not hire English certified teachers or that I wouldn't want to do that job for the pay? Again, thank you for your assistance and look forward to more input. I do hope that the city is as inviting and helpful as this forum group.

Paradise

Most farangs living in Thailand are certifiable. Just joking.

If you are a licenced teacher from the States, then no problem (same as Brit PGCE) my comments still apply. If you are looking for a job teaching a subject, you are qualified. If you are looking for a job teaching English to non-native speakers, then you may want to consider a TEFL course. However, without the TEFL you'll be fine and schools will employ you.

the best way to get a teaching job at an internatinal school is to join Search Associates and/or ISS, both are organizations that pre screen and introduce teachers to the international schools around the world. the people at SA are very helpful and stationed in CM and are connected with all the schools in CM

Search Associates

ISS

schools are hiring NOW, i'm off to the job fair in bangkok next week

the other option is to go personally to all the international schools here and drop off resumes, coverletters, portfoliios, credentials etc.. all schools hire directly thru ISS and SA some will also hire individuals applying.

i got offered 3 positions in 3 months thru both ISS and SA... i'm holding out for the best job offer next week.

good luck :o

if the links don't work just google 'search associates " and 'international school service'