Don't Get A Dog If You Can't Take Care Of It !

On a recent trip up to the north of Thailand I came accross this poor St Bernard tied up as you can see. No food or water was supplied, a nasty scar from the collar proved she had been tied up for months. Because I am a farang the 'owner' would only part with her if I paid. What a heartless fellow this Thai man was :D , the chain was wired to her collar :o , and she was in obvious discomfort.

So she's now with me, free to run around in my garden and enjoy her life. :D

As the saying goes, 'a dog is for life not just for christmas'

post-42178-1199166727_thumb.jpg

post-42178-1199166785_thumb.jpg

post-42178-1199166983_thumb.jpg

My nephew works as a ranger on Intanon and often brings home abandoned dogs.

Seems many people think they can lose unwanted animals so easily up there!

When I left to return home for Christmas there were eleven at the house.

Fortunately people know about them and many are found new owners quite quickly.

Only if there were more people like Globeliner :D

Your new family member looks absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure that she will love her new home.

She still looks like a pup, do you know how old she is?

Hi MsFigure, yes she's a real beauty, about 1 year old and growing fast :o

My Golden Lab tries to mount her every 5 seconds, sometimes the head end :o

im afraid too many thais do not take care of there dogs and im not sure why they want one when they just leave it tied up all day...so well done

i think you will have to invest in a ladder soon if your golden lab is still keen over the next few months :D

This behavior is not restricted to Thai people. Living on a tourist island, I see the other end of the scale. Too many tourists come, find some puppy, feel sorry for it, feed it and take it back to their resort, without asking the owners if they want yet another dog or not. and then leave the dog behind when they return home.

Then there are the people who come to live here for a while, a few months or a year or so, adopt a dog and then wonder why they can't find a home for it when its time to go.

This behavior is not restricted to Thai people. Living on a tourist island, I see the other end of the scale. Too many tourists come, find some puppy, feel sorry for it, feed it and take it back to their resort, without asking the owners if they want yet another dog or not. and then leave the dog behind when they return home.

Then there are the people who come to live here for a while, a few months or a year or so, adopt a dog and then wonder why they can't find a home for it when its time to go.

Sorry SBK but I just knew you were going to say this behavour is not restriced to Thai's before i opened the thread. :o

I do agree with you that tourists or people not staying forever in Thailand should not adopt dogs though

One of my neighbours has had 3 dogs in 4 years, starting with a German shepherd puppy, then a medium size dog puppy, last one was a poodle puppy, when they grew up it was to much for her and her 2 girls, 8yrs and 6 yrs, and she gave them to friends.. her present dog is ideal……. Big earthen ware dog, needs no care, not bark, no need for grooming or feeding..

How can anyone keep running out of food to feed a dog?? I always have food, have 3 dogs, 8yrs + daughter aged 5 yrs and another now 3 years old, the oldest one was the son of my friends here

Sorry SBK but I just knew you were going to say this behavour is not restriced to Thai's before i opened the thread. :D

I do agree with you that tourists or people not staying forever in Thailand should not adopt dogs though

Just getting tired of the one-sided viewpoints on this forum :o

Yes, there are many Thai people who should not have dogs, one woman I know does not want a dog, does not really do what it takes to care for a dog but her son wants a puppy so she gets one. Puppy grows up, kid doesn't want a full grown dog anymore. Someone else usually ends up taking the dog or it gets run over in the road. On the other end of the spectrum is a neighbor of mine who has a German Shepherd mix, she loves that dog, takes it to the vet whenever it gets ill, spends money she doesn't really have to buy him medicines and feeds him well. Both Thai people.

Lets face reality here, there wouldn't be an SPCA in the West if it weren't needed. There wouldn't be literally millions of unwanted dogs and cats put down in the west if people were responsible pet owners. The big difference is that in Thailand there is no animal control to pick up unwanted, uncared for pets and then put them down--out of sight out of mind, as in the West. Here it is all very visible.

So very true, sbk! How much is it again in The States? 4 million dogs per year put down (read somewhere this figure)? Dunno about Europe or Australia/New Zealand, but won't be surprised if figures aren't much better (relatively seen). :o

Nienke

• 2 months later...

this is true, i see it happening all the time... i used to take the puppies in myself too thinking it is better to take care of them than to leave them to their fate, but i have since learned it is impossible to take care of them all. now i just keep walking when i see a puppy. i take care of the 3 (fixed) dogs i have ended up with and that's it. can't blame the tourists for trying to make the little dogs lives better while they can though.

i wonder why the owner of the dog in the OP didn't just drop it at the temple instead of tying it?

Edited by girlx