Why Are You Here?

nidge

Firstly, happy new year to everyone here.

I am wondering why you all spend so much time at ThaiVisa. I see some come only to complain about Thailand in some way or another, then there are the people who support Thailand to the death, then there are those that come for specific information and when they have it they disappear again.

I come because my job is boring as hel_l and it passes my 12 hour shift quite quickly. Oh, and i have some fun and learn things i would not otherwise.

But why are YOU here?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Information gathering mostly and then along the way if I can offer any info, happy to.

Kinda like the photo threads lately, may help me fine tune a very amatuerish hobby.

I also like the secret soceity that recently revealed itself.

Also when bored, something interesting to read at times.

Good question.

I was always a little dubious whenever I heard the term "online community". It sounded a bit too flip, too geeky. But I now realise that there is such a thing. Yep, I do come on here to answers for questions or to discover something specific. But most of the time, it's purely for enjoyment. I love to read some posters' comments and often laugh out loud. It's worth it just for that, for me.

I don't live in area replete with expats and, to tell you the truth, I wouldn't want to. But I like to be connected to the "big picture" in this way. Actually, there's still loads of stuff on here that I haven't even explored yet. :o

TO learn from the mistakes and successes of other living in Thailand. To hear other points of view even if they are wrong as mine are the only correct opinions in Thai visa :o To hear questions I would be afraid to ask or may not even think of or consider.

Good question.

'tis a good question Nidge,

Several reasons. For one its a bit like sitting out and watching the world go by! For another having a family means that I don't do bars, (I get quite enough earache about having a few beers with friends or family at home :o ) so it's a chance to see things from other peoples perspective.

Like others to gather specific information, or to add to that information if it's something that I actually have had experience with.

Ohh, and just now and then there is are absolutely hilarious comments.

I learn lot on ThaiVisa and like to share in return... and because, after nearly 4 years living in Thailand, I have only had in-room wifi for 3 months and the novelty has yet to wear of. Also, I do a lot of tedious off-line work on my computer and this gives me a break.

Ohh, and just now and then there is are absolutely hilarious comments.

I neglected this reason for constantly checking out new threads...

One of the things on my miniscule list of what i miss about the UK is the sense of humour. Sarcastic, brutal, pathetically childish but, to me, very funny. I can get it on here on an almost daily basis. Nearly always the same guys too. You know who you are and i thank you.

:o

I dunno, I guess it's because its on my address bar. :D

Then theres the answers given above I'm sure many apply.

It's amazing how many really intelligent people post, but then again there are many so propagandized in their little worlds they cannot see the big picture :D Perhaps when they get get hit with a bucket of sheeeit they should close their eyes. :o

The forum can be entertaining, amusing, boring, saddening, and sometimes irrattating. sure beats whats in my newspaper

I dunno, I guess it's because its on my address bar. :D

Then theres the answers given above I'm sure many apply.

It's amazing how many really intelligent people post, but then again there are many so propagandized in their little worlds they cannot see the big picture :D Perhaps when they get get hit with a bucket of sheeeit they should close their eyes. :o

The forum can be entertaining, amusing, boring, saddening, and sometimes irrattating. sure beats whats in my newspaper

I've only been on the boards a week. I came and got some really good advice about a health issue and I like the banter and to share the odd rude joke too.

By the way nidge, I was just having a joke with you on another thread and thought you were too. Just crossed lines I guess.

By the way nidge, I was just having a joke with you on another thread and thought you were too. Just crossed lines I guess.

I was joking. :o Some posters are pretty dumb when it comes to humour so you never know whether a new poster is being serious or not!

Welcome to the forum.

I was joking. :o Some posters are pretty dumb when it comes to humour so you never know whether a new poster is being serious or not!

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers mate. accidental trip. sorry. will be more careful next time.

Like others to find out info about life & news here and travelling around the region. But increasingly to read seemingly innoucuous threads which just spin off and have me in stitches. The other day I was reading Weho's thread about trolleys at the Airport, it killed me! :o

Also, it becomes a bit of a community and you get to know people, albeit "online!!" :D

Keep posting guys and gals! Cheers and Happy New Year! :D

I dunno, I guess it's because its on my address bar. :o

The only reason I'm ever on here is becaaue someone used my computer and left this ?*xx=+- site

as my homepage and I'm too dumb to figure out how to change the stupid thing!

No, seriously, I'm using it to pre-immerse myself in things Thai before arriving

(Friday morning yipee!)

David

Firstly, happy new year to everyone here.

I am wondering why you all spend so much time at ThaiVisa.

Lots of great info here. I learn all the time, and also enjoy the comradarie.

But why are YOU here?

Erm....that's philosophical and complicated.

I am wondering why you all spend so much time at ThaiVisa.

About 20 mins a day unless there is something interesting I want to reply to or read up on.

I came when I was looking for information about visas. Sometimes now I'm able to help other people and occasionally contribute to the general discussions that go on.

I am wondering why you all spend so much time at ThaiVisa. I see some come only to complain about Thailand in some way or another, then there are the people who support Thailand to the death, then there are those that come for specific information and when they have it they disappear again.

I'm not in Thailand at the present time so I like to keep up with developments and peoples views of those developments. I find it is more informative than say the Bangkok Post because forum members inevitably look at an issue from all aspects. I also try and input as much info as I can whilst recognising that it may not be the most up to date (haven't lived in Thailand since '04 but visit regularly).

I come because my job is boring as hel_l and it passes my 12 hour shift quite quickly. Oh, and i have some fun and learn things i would not otherwise.

I too log on during the day at work and visit the forum whenever I am waiting for the data base to open a file (can take 15 minutes on a bad day) or if I'm desk bound waiting for a break in the weather. I spend a large proportion of my day out on the construction site and as many activities cease during heavy rain often find myself with time to kill.

But why are YOU here?

To learn from others experiences and to see if my opinions experiences are the same as others.

I also use others posts to keep my sometimes over the top opinions in check!!! Yes I really do modify my thoughts and learn to adapt. I once actually found myself in total agreement with Guesthouse!!

That said, there is always the locking horns to while away the hours. (I am desk bound here, but often tied to UK work hours). For the record, my most extreme opinions are released in response to extreme opinions of the opposite kind. Not so much that I believe them, more to show the offending poster that an equally extreme posture can be possible from a different perspective.

They are ususally reserved for the Politically Correct who turn up on here from time to time. Thankfully, real life meetings with such folk are extreemly rare (I cannot actually think of one instance) in Thailand and long may it last.

It is very informative when there are serious issues, and sometimes funny and amusing to just banter and be glib (drunk). Wish we all could be bit less negative at times though.... self included.

EDIT: to totally agree with the post above that appeared whilst I was typing. I love Thailand and the Thais. thanks Paul

Edited by Dupont

. . . the UK . . . sense of humour. Sarcastic, brutal, pathetically childish but, to me, very funny. I can get it on here on an almost daily basis. Nearly always the same guys too. You know who you are and i thank you.

Actually one of the biggest negatives about TV that prevents much meaningful dialogue and exchange of information.

TV is an international forum. Surely there must be UK forums that will fulfill this particular need for you and "the same guys?"