The Floppy Is Dead – Long Live Cd

Daffy D

Apple introduced the iMac (without a floppy drive!) in 1998, and in this way was a frontrunner in making floppy's obsolete.

Rumour has it that they will introduce a laptop this month without a CD/DVD drive......

You're right! I heard it today in the news. Price is about US$800. Apple is banking that those who purchase this laptop will also purchase music and rent movies via iTunes. When I first came across your post earlier this month, I thought anyone would have to silly to buy this laptop. Time will tell if the product is a flop or whether it will be a smash hit similar to the iPod.

Apple introduced the iMac (without a floppy drive!) in 1998, and in this way was a frontrunner in making floppy's obsolete.

Rumour has it that they will introduce a laptop this month without a CD/DVD drive......

You're right! I heard it today in the news. Price is about US$800. Apple is banking that those who purchase this laptop will also purchase music and rent movies via iTunes. When I first came across your post earlier this month, I thought anyone would have to silly to buy this laptop. Time will tell if the product is a flop or whether it will be a smash hit similar to the iPod.

The machine goes on sale in two weeks and costs from $1,799 in the US (£1,199 in the UK) and comes with either an 80 Gigabyte hard disc drive as standard or 64 Gigabyte solid state drive for an added $999. No CD or DVD vriver and only 1.93cm thick! Can't wait to get one :o

Check out the BBC link http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7188849.stm