January 3, 200818 yr I am sure that I read somewhere that trailers were not legal in Thailand unless they were registered, taxed and insured as separate entities. This would explain (to me), why you don't see overloaded trailers behind overloaded pickups on the road. The vision of an overloaded pick up with a trailer full, possibly of Thais overtaking at speed on the #3 (Sukhumvit), would be enough for me to turn me to drink! Can anyone confirm the legalities of trailers in LOS?
January 3, 200818 yr Crikey! If there is some law against them (and considering that I don't think I've ever seen one being pulled by anything other than a truck, such a law probably exists) it must be written in letters ten feet high that flash on and off. "Laws" and "transport" aren't words you would normally associate with one another over here, are they? Six-up on a motorbike, no helmets, drunk-driving, grossly overloaded everything, flimsy wooden trailers being pulled by motorbikes etc, etc... Plus a police force which doesn't care half the time and in the other half, will enforce the law for a little tea-money. Then, frankly, I'm amazed that we're not seeing trailers every day.
January 3, 200818 yr I am sure that I read somewhere that trailers were not legal in Thailand unless they were registered, taxed and insured as separate entities. This would explain (to me), why you don't see overloaded trailers behind overloaded pickups on the road. The vision of an overloaded pick up with a trailer full, possibly of Thais overtaking at speed on the #3 (Sukhumvit), would be enough for me to turn me to drink! Can anyone confirm the legalities of trailers in LOS You can get a trailer reg. in LOS. Best to do it the legal way.
July 27, 200818 yr They do need separate reg. and ins. you are absolutely correct, trailers need to have a registration and insurance they also need to be approved and signed by an engineer level 3. I do know that because I manufacture trailers
July 27, 200818 yr one of our members, steveromangino has gone through the hassel of legally getting a trailer to take his boat around the traps. Maybe send him a PM and ask him for the ins and outs.....
July 29, 200818 yr They do need separate reg. and ins. you are absolutely correct, trailers need to have a registration and insurance they also need to be approved and signed by an engineer level 3. I do know that because I manufacture trailers Fred Please PM me with infor on the type of trailers you offer.
July 30, 200818 yr From an insurance view point, you must have the trailer registered before we can insure it.
July 30, 200818 yr One reason I love Thai Visa is that the threads are easily searchable - so for my and other's future referance: Fred2007: I do know that because I manufacture trailersHow much is the inspection and registration fee? Does the trailer get it's own licence plate? ( Blue book?) I assume there is a road tax to be paid each year as well? Thai Visa: From an insurance view point, you must have the trailer registered before we can insure it.Roughly - how much per year? Is insurance offered in first/second/third tiers?
July 30, 200818 yr Yes every trailer has a number plate and the blue book to go with it and includes third party insurance You just renew the licence every year just like your car licence
August 2, 200818 yr Yes every trailer has a number plate and the blue book to go with it and includes third party insuranceYou just renew the licence every year just like your car licence Similar to USA then...trailer has license, registration, and title. License renewed every year. But, we do not have to buy insurance specifically for the trailer. Auto and truck policies include towed trailers.
August 2, 200818 yr From an insurance view point, you must have the trailer registered before we can insure it. Seems to be some diversity between insurance companies then, since I have insured for 2 years one of my bikes (with a reputable insurance company) without any registeration. And I doubt there is any difference between vehicle types. They do it with the chassis and engine number; no licence plate number required. (I am planning to register this bike soon also as within the city the police is getting strict with unregistered vehicles.) So my experience tells that a vehicle DOES NOT have to be registered for insurance.
August 4, 200818 yr From an insurance view point, you must have the trailer registered before we can insure it. Seems to be some diversity between insurance companies then, since I have insured for 2 years one of my bikes (with a reputable insurance company) without any registeration. And I doubt there is any difference between vehicle types. They do it with the chassis and engine number; no licence plate number required. (I am planning to register this bike soon also as within the city the police is getting strict with unregistered vehicles.) So my experience tells that a vehicle DOES NOT have to be registered for insurance. Sorry but they do have to be registered before you can insure them
October 13, 200916 yr one of our members, steveromangino has gone through the hassel of legally getting a trailer to take his boat around the traps. Maybe send him a PM and ask him for the ins and outs..... Hi Samran, just tried to Pm steveromangino but this is not the correct user name. Please could you Pm me a link or his user name i could really do with having a talk with him about the trailer thing. Many thanks.
Create an account or sign in to comment