"show Me The Money"

Pepe'

I found the brief thread on "Alternative income streams need more dosh. to be very helpful.

Especially since I am looking to pull back from my medical practice.

I've got a special interest in blogging and internet based income so I found the links especially useful.

My idea is to put a "think tank" together to help TV members in Thailand and abroad earn more money.

I think we've got a very diversified potential pool of consulting talent and experience to draw from.

My current occupation is a physician with focus on prevention/antiaging.

I focus lifestyle and clinical nutrition in practice.

I also use Traditional Chinese Medicine, acupuncture and Ayurvedic Medicine in my practice.

How it can work I'm not exactly sure.

But it seems like a positive thought to start the New Year with nothing to loose.

What do you think? :o

I think it sounds like a great idea, Pepe. I am very interested in talking to you about how you use Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine in your practice. That sounds wonderful, and if I was a physician I'd do the same. One of my regrets in life is not going to Med school. Do you know of any reputable places in Asia to train in Ayurvedic medicine and/or traditional medicine, and how long/rigorous is it?

It is alleged by a US doctor (Oncologist), with whom I have a close relationship, that the attractiveness of 'Alternative Therapies' is not so much their efficacy for the patient as the reduced likelihood of legal cases following their prescription - people who choose 'Alternative Therapies' being far less likely to take legal action where medical treatment fails to provide a cure.

-----

Not a negative view of the good doctor Pepe's outlook, rather an acceptance of alternative view of another good (US) doctor with whom I am, as I say, intimate.

-----

My own personal view is that 'Alternative Therapies' pander for the needs of women (a group that already enjoy a disproportionate share of health care spending - at least in Europe and progressively elsewhere) and that 'Alternative Therapies' are in the main demanded for and provided to people who already get more than their fare share of health care.

'Alternative Therapies' after the rest of us get basic health care is my line on this.

Well, while I do agree about being a smart consumer and patient, quacks are not limited to alternative medicine. Quite frankly, the whole HMO industry is certified but in some respects the most dangerous, because they knowingly deny needed healthcare.

And GH, while you bring up an interesting point, that is only one perspective. I have several friends who are doctors, and most young doctors recognize the benefit of established, traditional knowledge, such as Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine and natural remedies. I think the combination is the best chance at both prevention (traditional) and diagnosis and surgery once there is a problem (Western). If you want to look at modern quacks, one need go no further than the status quo of the pharmaceutical and HMO industry.

I think it sounds like a great idea, Pepe. I am very interested in talking to you about how you use Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine in your practice.

p---Both the Ayurvedic and TCM perspective give tremendous insight into diagnosis and evaluation of patients.

I like Ayurveda more from the view point of proper diet for the corresponding constutional body type.

TCM is great especially for it's sophisticated system of herbal pharmacology. There are well documented protocols and procedures dating back 10,000 years.

I spend a lot of time doing acupuncture. One of my colleagues did a study at Harvard for two years on the treatment of asthma with acupuncture.

That sounds wonderful, and if I was a physician I'd do the same. One of my regrets in life is not going to Med school.

p---NO REGRETS! We're just where we're supposed to be.

Do you know of any reputable places in Asia to train in Ayurvedic medicine and/or traditional medicine, and how long/rigorous is it?

I have a friend at Mahidol Unniversity in BKK, he's a professor of pharmacology, Ill try to get his contact info for you.

There is also a man by the name of Mantack Chia who I believe is based in Chiang Mai. You can google it.

-----------------

more later Kat got to go now... :o

Well, while I do agree about being a smart consumer and patient, quacks are not limited to alternative medicine. Quite frankly, the whole HMO industry is certified but in some respects the most dangerous, because they knowingly deny needed healthcare.

And GH, while you bring up an interesting point, that is only one perspective. I have several friends who are doctors, and most young doctors recognize the benefit of established, traditional knowledge, such as Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine and natural remedies. I think the combination is the best chance at both prevention (traditional) and diagnosis and surgery once there is a problem (Western). If you want to look at modern quacks, one need go no further than the status quo of the pharmaceutical and HMO industry.

I visited Southern China's largest teaching hospital for Traditional Chinese Medicine with a group of Bangkok doctors who own a hospital and want to incorporate TCM into what their hospital offers. It appeared to me that in almost every category that western remidies were more efficacious for patients. Where TCM I believe is most usefull, is in mitigating the sometimes very strong side effects of some western remedies.

Edited by lannarebirth

From what I have seen of the health care system here for the average Thai, I believe they would Love to have an HMO system similar as could be found in the USA. They could also include the cleaning crews, to clean the entire place up. Alternative medicine is OK with me, but it obviously needs further research, I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

Actually the western/allopathic model is the "alternative one model.

As of a few years ago doctors in Thailand were trained in Traditional Thai Herbal Medicine as part of their regular training.

Here in California MDs and acupuncturists are licensed by the same Medical Board.

Alternative medicine is really a quite dated expression now. Integrated Medicine is what's happening and those of us who know better use both.

Adjusting to time and circumstance and using the best of both worlds is the real art in practicing medicine.

Iatragenic medicine, that is a problem caused from "the cure", is a huge problem in health care and is rapidly getting worse

Anyway to try to get back on topic. I was hoping to stimulate some conversation on supplementing income through diversification.