30 Farang Murders A Year

Theyreallrubbish

Unbelievable but not surprising that people STILL want to live with their head in the sand and ignore facts about the safety issues in Thailand.

Damian

The old rose-coloured-glasses syndrome. Desperately clinging to the fantasy.

For tourists Thailand is one of the most dangerous destinations. Most expats at least know the dangers.

One of the lowest murder rates is Saudi Arabia. They do have a very high number of executions though.

Edited by trader1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested to hear how you know this to be a fact.

This fact is apparent when you look at the profiles of the victims and the places in which they were killed. I'm being general here. This is not to say that all victims of brutal crimes are in any way similar to the criminals. Also, not all victims are murdered in seedy places, but you get the picture. Use some critical thinking when you see these stories in the news, look from all angles and then draw a conclusion.

These killings which involve seedy characters and/or happen in seedy areas occur in many countries which are more advanced than Thailand. However, the tendency to "go postal" without warning is more common here and is something which must be kept in mind in certain situations. If you can't avoid these situations, then you'll need to remove yourself before it can turn nasty.

Edited by Thaiboxer

This fact is apparent when you look at the profiles of the victims and the places in which they were killed.

What like the Canadian murdered in Pai?! - I can think of few places less sleepy and more laid back.

However, the tendency to "go postal" without warning is more common here and is something which must be kept in mind in certain situations. If you can't avoid these situations, then you'll need to remove yourself before it can turn nasty.

er, the problem with someone "going postal" is that you can't predict it. it can happen in any social circle, anywhere in thailand. your presumptions about the victims of such crimes are totally unfounded.

However, the tendency to "go postal" without warning is more common here and is something which must be kept in mind in certain situations. If you can't avoid these situations, then you'll need to remove yourself before it can turn nasty.

er, the problem with someone "going postal" is that you can't predict it. it can happen in any social circle, anywhere in thailand. your presumptions about the victims of such crimes are totally unfounded.

I was attacked by 3 thais in a seedy bar. they ambushed me for god knows why????? three factors leading up to the attack: 1. late at night(nothing good can happen after midnight), 2. drinks were flowing. 3. i got a false sense of security by living here 3 years and speaking a bit of thai. It was probably a face thing. i still don't know but i learned that my time in a 10k race is better than 3 drunk thais. 25 stitches. I've learned you have to have backup when and if you go to out-of-the-way places or don't put yourself in that situation. it IS a dangerous place.

This fact is apparent when you look at the profiles of the victims and the places in which they were killed.

What like the Canadian murdered in Pai?! - I can think of few places less sleepy and more laid back.

If you'd been following the news the last few years you wouldn't say that. Lots of drugs and drugs-related murders, heavy police suspicion and bad treatment of any non-Thais (farang and hilltribes), etc. in and around Pai.

I didn't personally know anyone who was murdered. I DID personally know a number of tourists and expats who died in motorcycle crashes. Those deaths could have easily been prevented. I would guess the number of motorcycle deaths makes the murder numbers look quite small. Being killed crossing the road is more likely than being murdered. Accidents don't make nearly as good of a news stories as a murder.

Edited by Gary A

[ However, the tendency to "go postal" without warning is more common here and is something which must be kept in mind in certain situations. If you can't avoid these situations, then you'll need to remove yourself before it can turn nasty.

For Your Information (FYI):

"To go postal"

To lash out violently and at random, often in a blind rage.

Term taken from the 1990's incidents of workplace violence involving US Postal System workers.

for example:"I was so angry at work with the new workload, I was afraid I'd go postal"

I didn't personally know anyone who was murdered. I DID personally know a number of tourists and expats who died in motorcycle crashes. Those deaths could have easily been prevented. I would guess the number of motorcycle deaths makes the murder numbers look quite small. Being killed crossing the road is more likely than being murdered. Accidents don't make nearly as good of a news stories as a murder.

Quite Gary,

Just compare the motorcycle death statistics with the tourist deaths.

Most who die are one of these:

1. Drunk

2. Involvolved in a relationship with a prostitute

3. Wandered into Crime areas

Is easily avoided if you have an IQ over 80..........

Edited by yorkman

I'd suggest wrapping yourself up in cotton wool and just sitting in front of the fire in the UK waiting for the Grim Reaper to visit because doing anything else is highly dangerous.

One day a plane flying from the UK to Thailand will crash and overnight, Thailand will become the most dangerous country on the face of the earth.

OK OK !

This thread has only shown that no statistics or other's opinions are likely to satisfy all the posters or give any definitive answer.

So lets be subjective - let's have a vote!

1. Thailand is safer than most other HOLIDAY destinations

2. Thailand is as safe as most other HOLIDAY destinations

3. Thailand is less safe than most other HOLIDAY destinatiions

4. Thailand is tourist nightmare

Anyone have the experience to set this up , perhaps on another thread? :o

OK OK !

This thread has only shown that no statistics or other's opinions are likely to satisfy all the posters or give any definitive answer.

So lets be subjective - let's have a vote!

1. Thailand is safer than most other HOLIDAY destinations

2. Thailand is as safe as most other HOLIDAY destinations

3. Thailand is less safe than most other HOLIDAY destinatiions

4. Thailand is tourist nightmare

Anyone have the experience to set this up , perhaps on another thread? :D

Ha Ha - the long stare again.

Getting the hang of it now! :o

Who cares?

Enjoy your life. I belong to those who think we only get one shot at it; granted, don't be a fool, but don't worry too much either because it will shorten your life.

When it's your turn it's your turn anyway, no matter if it's a traffic accident, murder, cancer, being pushed off a balcony or something else.

If you're that worried all the time and think you'd be happier somewhere else, then just move for frack's sake. How hard can it be?