Bangkok Police Motorcycles - I Want One

wjmark

if you leave town ( night bazaar area ) on the road that goes to the train station, I believe the Tiger dealership is just before the station turning. You will see it on the right hand side. No idea if they can sell you one of those but I'm pretty sure that is the authorised Tiger dealership.

Regards

Islandape

if you leave town ( night bazaar area ) on the road that goes to the train station, I believe the Tiger dealership is just before the station turning. You will see it on the right hand side. No idea if they can sell you one of those but I'm pretty sure that is the authorised Tiger dealership.

Regards

Islandape

yap, its on the corner. no bikes in stock, 2-3 weeks delivery from bkk (insane cause it only take a day with truck delivery.)

Got curious and did a google on 'tiger motorcycles thailand' and after 4 pages, didn't come up with any tiger website. would like to view the models they offer, but with no web pressence, i would think twice about buying a tiger. i remember they hit the market heavy 4-5 yrs ago and now only see a few around.

i think that i'll stick with Honda, but if anyone can provide a link on tiger, please post it on this forum.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/article.php/Th...ai-Mystery-Bike

Sounds good, doesn't it!

Thanks for the replies - I will check the shop out tomorrow

Looking at that report more closely, it doesn't sound so good. Older technology: lower compression ratio, one SOHC in place of two, aircooled, five speeds, etc. Regardless of which Italian designed it, what do we know about its production technology or assembly quality, dealer support, etc.? Virtually nothing except the Thainess that Tiger brings to it. 57K is higher than a Suzuki Raider 150, isn't it? I'd rather not have a Thaiger.

Sure it is an older tech bike, but from what I have been able to find out, they are well built, and are all over asia. Service in CM is a good point - haven't seen a single bike around...

So I'll bite. What should I get?

I tried the Raider 150 and found it too small. I want a bit of substance - not a huge bike, but a bit of substance. The Raider felt tinier than my Honda Wave 125 to me.

I don't want a CBR150 - sure it's high-tech, but it's a sports/track bike. I want something nimble in traffic - not something with downbars.

A Boss 175 or Phantom 200 are not my idea of nimble bikes. A Yamaha 225 Serow or Trailways are just a little too tall for me - I have short little pins and like my feet flat on the ground! Also pretty expensive for bikes that are basically illegal!!!

What's left?

I'd love a Honda twin - but where are they?!?!?!

I have had a Tiger Joker 120cc for 4 years now. I bought it from the dealer across from the Train Station in Chiang Mai. I have not had a single major issue with the bike. The biggest problem was the replacement of a CDI which cost 180 baht. Service has been excellent as far as routine maintenance issues with the bike usually returned the same day I took it in. I have seen Tiger dealers in Chiang Rai and other areas so I don't believe service is to hard to find.

They did have a website but the URL listed on the old brochure I have no longer works. Don't understand that one. I read a report a couple years ago and Tiger was claiming to be number 3 in sales in Thailand. I don't how that stands today. It may not be the most advanced, high tech motorcycle, but it seems to keep on running.

I don't want a CBR150 - sure it's high-tech, but it's a sports/track bike. I want something nimble in traffic - not something with downbars.

The CBR150 is certainly very nimble in traffic, has decent tires unlike the skinny bit of rubber they put on the waves etc so they handle the bumps and holes in the road with ease. Add to that usable 4 stroke power and good brakes (front and rear) disc and you get a very tidy machine.

I'd love a Honda twin - but where are they?!?!?!

In Thailand the maximum cc allowed for production is 250cc but in reality the maximum that the dealers will touch is 200cc ie the Phantom. Anything bigger is a special import and has high tax. There were several avenues to import second hand bikes in larger capacity but they had to be brought in as spare parts and assembled here or by a person bringing in their own personal use machine. In theory the motorcycle could be brought in but should be taken out of the country when the person left - of course this doesn't always happen.

There are several dealers who sell larger capacity Japanese machines larger than 250cc but many are sold without the relevant Greeen Book which means they are not registered and in theory at least non insurable although it is relatively easy to insure a bike and still not have it registered. Some exotic bikes eg Triumph, Harley Davidson, and BMW are legally imported and sold with the correct paperwork - just be prepared to pay the equivalent of a nice house in CM to buy one.

You may wish to check out the Bikes in Thailand subforum for more information on things to do with motorcycling

CB

Went to the Tiger dealership at the train station.

Not a particularly flash shop! Bunch of bikes just kinda sitting there. But the mechanics all looked clean...

(btw, they have a Honda 2-stroke sport bike for 9,000 there if anyone is interested - I think it is a NSR150. Looked dirty, but ok)

They didn't have a Boxer, but apparently the owner did bring ONE in a couple of years ago - obviously not a popular model in n these parts...

They a bunch of Jokers there (their 'Wave', kinda), which I have seen around occasionally. I've actually heard that Jokers are pretty good before (thanks SilverHawk)

As well of Jokers, there are a variety of Tiger's other models - plus golf-carts, engines, and generators.

I gotta say that the first thing that impressed me was the variety and apparent cleverness behind the Tiger range of bikes. They all seemed well built (didn't feel at all like cheesy Chinese stuff) and one of the models just jumped out at me.

They have a 135 underbar bike that isn't - it has a low top strut, and they call it Cycle Cross - a rugged, gas-shock, oil-cooler, clutch bike with a 'touch o' dirt' to it. Only a four-speed, and not a mono-shock, but a really good looking bike. And they have three versions of it - one with small fat tires that make it look like a KSR-115 on steroids.

They only have one of these, and no test-drives - If it came clutch-less, it looks like it would be the ideal city bike (43,900).

But no Boxer-200. The woman at the counter suggested that if I wanted one, I should call Bangkok!

They are the authorized warranty centre, though. And she did seem honestly proud about the quality of their service...

So I dunno. Maybe I should go to Bangkok - try one, and if I like it, buy it and ride it back slowly (or mail it!).

One thing that comes through all the internet reports about this bike (it is available in Malaysia and Philippines, too) is that it does sound very fun to drive. Stable at 140k, lots of low end torque, surprisingly quick - the only compaint seems to be the muffler is loud at higher revs.

Fun, easy, fast, and endorsed by the Bangkok Police - sounds like I have talked myself into it!

Seriously, I can't see Bangkok police riding around on crap bikes - they usually have pretty nice machines from what I remember.

Cheers!

post-55564-1199853371_thumb.jpg

The-Tiger-Boxer-200-Thai-Mystery-Bike_1.jpg

I saw that they have a promotion on the Tiger on Huay Kaew Road just before central have several of them out on the street looks like the same bike based on the picture above

Very funny.

For those who don't get it, those 'Boxers' are actually 800,000bt imported Yamahas...

BTW, I am waiting for a month or so, as Kawasaki is supposed to be releasing a made-in-Thailand 250cc single! That sounds about right for me...

Tiger is Itallian design?? i thought they were pure Thai.....
They are but im sure they had a tie up ( forgive the pun )- with cagiva, the Bike will be second rate for sure ,and if the police are on them ,they got them cheap !,.. alpinestar motorcycle boots and clothing brags at being an italian company, there is very well hid label inside the boots ,MADE IN CHINA,. Edited by mikethevigoman

I saw a police bike in Bangkok last weekend: a white CBR150R Honda. And the Chiang Mai Immigration police have four of them! My partner had a Joker that's still in the family, and they haven't had good results in the long run.
What about this, a sachs madass 125, ( yes thats its name !) now official in thailand, sachs is a german company that sold out to a chinese company and now the bike is marketed wordwide, if ( and im not ) i was in the market for a town bike, id have this, cycle parts are very good, it has projector headlights and ala ducati an exhaust that exits under the seat,and at 55000 with a proper book i think worth the money,pic_custom_spider.jpg Edited by mikethevigoman

SIGH!

I dropped in again on the Tiger dealership, and they have a Boxer 200 there! Smashed up in the front end...

Owned by an out-of-town cop, it is waiting for the bits it needs to be repaired (headlight, speedo, etc).

Nice looking bike - SMALL, but feels good. Nice and low - probably handles great. Comfy seat - nice riding position.

The mechanic started it up for me - electric start couldn't cut it, but after 2-3 kicks, vroom vroom. A little tinny sounding, but not bad.

I have been asking guys at the bike shops here, and one said that they were "pretty good", with the engine using interchangeable parts with the Phantom. Another told me that all the parts are made in China (I have read Malaysia on a few web-sites).

I asked the Tiger shop mechanic what was good about the Boxer, and he told me the engine. I asked what was bad, and he said the clutch and the non-availability of parts. The bike they had waiting for repair has been waiting for quite a while. Apparently, Tiger makes bikes but not spare parts for them. SIGH! Also, the mechanic said that Phantom parts are not interchangable...

And, of course, there are none available in CM. And, sigh (again and again), none available in Bangkok!

Other than the mechanic's comment on the clutch, it is probably a pretty good bike. But like the parts for it, no bikes are available anyways.

Did I say 'sigh' yet?

Anybody got a CB400 SF with plate for sale?

p.s. - I mentioned that Kawasaki is supposed to release a 250 road bike in a few months. And I read on the net somewhere, that all four Jap brands are doing the same by April! Made-in-Thailand 250's - licensable, cheap (I assume), and supported by real companies!

• 9 months later...

Thanks for the replies - I will check the shop out tomorrowLooking at that report more closely, it doesn't sound so good. Older technology: lower compression ratio, one SOHC in place of two, aircooled, five speeds, etc. Regardless of which Italian designed it, what do we know about its production technology or assembly quality, dealer support, etc.? Virtually nothing except the Thainess that Tiger brings to it. 57K is higher than a Suzuki Raider 150, isn't it? I'd rather not have a Thaiger.

Having ridden bikes for 40-some years, and now owning a watercooled DOHC, I would say that air-cooled and SOHC are not a problem.

I raced a SOHC Ducati single for some years and it was fast, reliable, and easy to maintain, and the street Ducks I owned were excellent street bikes as well.

With my current bike, I find both the water cooling and the DOHC as disadvantages.

On a warm day, sitting on the bike is like sitting in front of a hot oven with the door open--it is way too hot for comfort! Not unbearable but a def nuisance on a hot day.

And for a midsize street bike, SOHC is no disadvantage at all--I don't need to turn 14,000 rpm on my street bike! My 250 Ducks would turn 9,000 rpm with or without Desmo valving (another unnecessary feature for a street bike, and the main reason I wouldn't buy a current Ducati twin.) My 350 is a Desmo and it takes about 4-5 hours to adjust the valves. I hear dealers charge $700 to adjust the valves on the twins, and I expect to take a day or so the first time I do my current DOHC single, a Beemer.

So I would not let the "slightly old tech" criticism turn me off if I had the chance to buy a Tiger Boxer. I saw them last month in Bankok, and wanted one too! If someone offered to trade me one for my Beemer, I'd be tempted, and I paid four times as much for it, over-complicated, heavy and hot thing that it is.

Right before I bought my 350 Duck in 1970, I saw a guy on one, and he said, don't buy it, I've had nothing but probs. Well, he had a bozo working on it, and didn't get the 600 mile maintenace done, a necessity on the Desmos. My 350 is still running 38 years later, and has hardly ever needed any parts. People "said" parts would be hard to get, well I never had any trouble, even with the few I needed. I just bought a set of valve seats a few years ago, no prob, and it was ME that damaged the old ones, otherwise they'd still be good.

I did think the Tigers had an Italian flavor when I saw them, and they look like a great bike to me--low slung engine for stability, deep finning on the cyl and head for good cooling! It looks like what my BM should have been.

So, pardon the long spiel, but if I wanted one, I'd go for it. Thailand IS m/c paradise!

post-70395-1225301654_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...