Miss The Fish & Chips At Laughing Leprechan?

Ulysses G.

I tried the Fish & Chips at Rose Guest House (on Rachamanka, the same street that turns into Loi Kroh Road on the outside of the moat) and the fish is real cod and much bigger than Laughing Leprechan, but the chips aren't British style, however, still pretty good. Real malt vinegar or tartar sauce available too.

I've heard really good thing about this place and both myself and my buddy were pleased with our first meal. :o

I tried the Fish & Chips at Rose Guest House (on Rachamanka, the same street that turns into Loi Kroh Road on the outside of the moat) and the fish is real cod and much bigger than Laughing Leprechan, but the chips aren't British style, however, still pretty good. Real malt vinegar or tartar sauce available too.

I've heard really good thing about this place and both myself and my buddy were pleased with our first meal. :o

Wow, on the same wavelength again. Went to Charlie's Fish and Chips tonight and it was decent. Perhaps not quite as good as Laughing Leprechaun, but pretty close. Will have to try Rose next time.

Edited by mild7even

Wow, on the same wavelength again. Went to Charlie's Fish and Chips tonight and it was decent. Perhaps not quite as good as Laughing Leprechaun, but pretty close. Will have to try Rose next time.

Does "Cheerful" Charlie (according to his advertisements) use cod fish or red snapper? I enjoy both, but normally prefer cod. :D

As long as his fish is good, he doesn't need to be cheerful. :D

I hope that you like the fish and chips at the Rose. The fish batter is not as light as the LL, but it has a pleasant enough taste and it is nice to get so much codfish for the price.

The chips are second rate, but covered with malt vinegar, they still taste OK. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Charlie uses Talipia.

I was there Friday and although fish was boneless and cooked very well it is very thin as can be expected with the type used and personally I prefer something more chunkier. Chips were wonderful and mushy peas included in the 160 baht price tag so still pretty good value.

Charlie uses Talipia.

I was there Friday and although fish was boneless and cooked very well it is very thin as can be expected with the type used and personally I prefer something more chunkier. Chips were wonderful and mushy peas included in the 160 baht price tag so still pretty good value.

Cool... an eco-friendly fish that is low in mercury and other toxins. Important, as I am usually eating with my young son and pregnant wife and want to avoid that mercury!

The chips at Charlie's were very good, as well.

Charlie uses Talipia.

. . . .

. . . .

Cool... an eco-friendly fish that is low in mercury and other toxins. Important, as I am usually eating with my young son and pregnant wife and want to avoid that mercury! . . . .

Mild7even - I'm intrigued, tell us more about this 'green' Talipia please.

JxP

Mild7even - I'm intrigued, tell us more about this 'green' Talipia please.

JxP

From oceansalive.org: Best and Worst Seafood Choices

Basically, the tilapia is an herbivore and is sustainable to farm, as I found out from my uncle, an aquaculturist. In some places they are also an invasive species due to their ability to thrive in different conditions.

However, much depends on the farming practices. There is plenty of information about how US tilapia are farmed, not so much about Thai tilapia. I may be making false conclusions about the safety and green-ness of any locally produced tilapia, though I'm not as concerned about eating it as I would Chilean sea bass or orange roughy.

Interesting link mild7even, I wonder how much that table changes when focusing on Thai produce?

JxP

I'm willing to bet, though I have no hard evidence, that the Thai version is not as eco-friendly and toxin free as the US version.

I suggest that UG, as the OP of this thread, conduct a poll asking how frequently people in Chiang Mai are bothered by the fish quality.

:o