Border Means Testing At Mae Sai

Of Course it has to be CASH!

How many Thai immigration officials could tell the difference between monopoly money, your German domestic electricity bill, the licence disk off your Australian car or a travellers cheque? You could knock anying up on your computer and they wouldn't know!

And like the man on the border said..."You are farang. 10,000 is nothing for you."

I love this country.

Rob

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of Course it has to be CASH!

How many Thai immigration officials could tell the difference between monopoly money, your German domestic electricity bill, the licence disk off your Australian car or a travellers cheque? You could knock anying up on your computer and they wouldn't know!

And like the man on the border said..."You are farang. 10,000 is nothing for you."

I love this country.

Rob

and the crackdown is aimed at the penniless, visaless lowlives anyway.

Waiting for Poipet to go that route... with the busses, mini-vans, pick-ups, cars and other miscellaneous forms of transport heading there with loads of visa runners. The added step adding to the long lines at check-in, not to mention the hundreds of thousands (millions perhaps on a real busy day?) of cash flashing around. :o

Waiting for Poipet to go that route... with the busses, mini-vans, pick-ups, cars and other miscellaneous forms of transport heading there with loads of visa runners. The added step adding to the long lines at check-in, not to mention the hundreds of thousands (millions perhaps on a real busy day?) of cash flashing around. :o

The 30-day visa land border hoppers are an odd breed anyhow. They deal with the hassle of every 29 day border trips. The only reason they don't like this law being enforced is because they have to take a month's living expenses with them. How tragic

The 30-day visa land border hoppers are an odd breed anyhow. They deal with the hassle of every 29 day border trips. The only reason they don't like this law being enforced is because they have to take a month's living expenses with them. How tragic
Border Means Testing At Mae Sai

unbiasbob Posted on: Wed 2004-09-15, 14:18:35

I don't use land borders myself, or at least never have

Hahahaha... you never miss an opportunity to write about something you know NOTHING about, do ya Bob?..

:o

Just to enlighten you... and I realize that may be difficult to accept, but not all people going to Poipet for a visa run are 30-day stragglers. I'd say it's about 50/50. Never let facts or real, true experiences cloud your judgement.

Odd breed they may be but retired under 50's not married to a Thai have very limited visa options.. No chance of an O or B and only 30 day or 60 day tourist visas available.

Personally I have no problem with the rule (Nong Khai have stated this would be coming at all land borders before the year end, due to a new computer system being installed) as long as the sensible course of proving via a bank book that you are bringing money into Thailand. The cash only part of the interpretation is the only objectionable thing.

Well in its current implementation (showing cash) it does nothing to fix the problem (i assume) it is trying to address, eg farangs in the kingdom working without papers and not paying tax or minimum wage.

If the requirement is to show money coming in from overseas and this is proven by showing your bank book with the wires in and or ATM withdrawls then it clearly does show that this person is benefiting Thailand and bringing in foriegn exchange. Just showing cash in effect solves nothing.

I know many expats leving here on Phuket and the vast majority of these have either a business / bar / or some other form of income. Of these people not one of them has a work permit or pays income tax (some pay minimal corporation tax) I can see why Thailand would want to do something about this.

Do you mean the illegal English teachers?

I agree.

Okay, so that's a legitimate criticism of visaless English teachers who are lowlifes, illegal, and penniless. It just doesn't fully apply to MOST of the English teaching foreigners in Thailand. Oh, it's easy, for those of us who have bank accounts and foreign income streams, to get all haughty about those who don't. But Thailand has this weird supply and demand imbalance for foreign EFL teachers. The employers at both private and govt. schools pay the newbies no more than 30,000 baht per month, and then expect them to live on it (without being legal, of course).

But since this is about a visa crackdown - yes, it will probably cause a small percentage of the illegal penniless visaless lowlives who teach English, to leave the Kingdom. And it will make it harder on the illegal but not penniless, not lowlives who teach English, to survive. But, if they time their 30-day (or 90-day) visa runs to the day after payday, they could show 10,000 baht. Even 20,000 would be hard to show, though, if they'd jsut paid thier rent. Maybe some lowlife penniless illegal buddy could lend them 10,000.

Do you mean the illegal English teachers?

I agree.

Okay, so that's a legitimate criticism of visaless English teachers who are lowlifes, illegal, and penniless. It just doesn't fully apply to MOST of the English teaching foreigners in Thailand. Oh, it's easy, for those of us who have bank accounts and foreign income streams, to get all haughty about those who don't. But Thailand has this weird supply and demand imbalance for foreign EFL teachers. The employers at both private and govt. schools pay the newbies no more than 30,000 baht per month, and then expect them to live on it (without being legal, of course).

But since this is about a visa crackdown - yes, it will probably cause a small percentage of the illegal penniless visaless lowlives who teach English, to leave the Kingdom. And it will make it harder on the illegal but not penniless, not lowlives who teach English, to survive. But, if they time their 30-day (or 90-day) visa runs to the day after payday, they could show 10,000 baht. Even 20,000 would be hard to show, though, if they'd jsut paid thier rent. Maybe some lowlife penniless illegal buddy could lend them 10,000.

Would such a person have anything to lend ?

Hi..

(sorry if this has been covered in the last 10 pages.. but..........

If I arrive at Don Muang from the USA expecting an immediate 30-day Visa Stamp in my passport, but only have 2000baht and my credit cards... am I going to be refused entry...?

ChrisP

Edited by ChrisP

Odd breed they may be but retired under 50's not married to a Thai have very limited visa options.. No chance of an O or B and only 30 day or 60 day tourist visas available.

Personally I have no problem with the rule (Nong Khai have stated this would be coming at all land borders before the year end, due to a new computer system being installed) as long as the sensible course of proving via a bank book that you are bringing money into Thailand. The cash only part of the interpretation is the only objectionable thing.

Don't worry, Livin', I know the plight of the under 50 and unmarried too well. I wasn't referring to people like you. I was more referring to the individuals that the Doctor mentioned

Hi..

(sorry if this has been covered in the last 10 pages.. but..........

If I arrive at Don Muang from the USA expecting an immediate 30-day Visa Stamp in my passport, but only have 2000baht and my credit cards... am I going to be refused entry...?

ChrisP

Are you sure that will cover your taxi ride from the airport?

[ the crackdown is aimed at the penniless, visaless lowlives anyway.

It's absolutely correct that 30 days tourists have to furnish proof for their solvency!

10.000 Baht for 30 days is very generous!!!

30 years ago I travelled as a backpacker to Spain and I had to answer questions about how I want to finance my stay in Spain.

I was told that the German embassy in Madrid was fed up with backpackers asking for a loan for going back.

Fair enough!

It's absolutely correct that 30 days tourists have to furnish proof for their solvency!

30 years ago I travelled as a backpacker to Spain and I had to answer questions about how I want to finance my stay in Spain.

I was told that the German embassy in Madrid was fed up with backpackers asking for a loan for going back.

Fair enough!

Point taken, but: everywhere else you just show your credit card, but not so in Thailand, it seems.

Sunny

everywhere else you just show your credit card, but not so in Thailand, it seems.

Sunny you are right. 30 years ago the Spanish immigration accepted Euro cheques as a proof that you can finance your stay as a "tourist"

US $, Euro and traveller cheques should be accepted as well in the year 2004.

Fair enough!

Point taken, but: everywhere else you just show your credit card, but not so in Thailand, it seems.

Sunny

I agree.

How stupid is this rule? We are living in the 21st century and they want us to show cash?

By the way, is there an ATM at Don Muang before immigration?

By the way, is there an ATM at Don Muang before immigration?

No, I don't think so. There are some exchange booths so, perhaps they can handle.

Guess, they will accept other currencies i.o. Baht, but I doubt this ruling will come to Don Muang. Anyway, the airports are under different immigration divisions than the land borders.

My friends...Some people have trouble following Thai law.

I pose one question; have you ever tried entering the UK of the US without funds?

We rest our case.

I was told (last night) by a Kiwi, that he had to show UK Pounds 3,000 before being allowed a one month entry to the UK - <deleted> Kiwi's are Commonwealth citizens - what the heck is the FCO thinking of?

Whilst that item can be used to justify what's happening at Mae Sai as being fair play, my primary concern is the rife pickpocketing, mugging etc that could spring up, up there.

It IS the Golden Triangle after all - and we know who the real bosses are in the Golden Triangle don't we?

Fair enough!

Sunny

How does showing a credit card evidence that there is credit available ?