Border Means Testing At Mae Sai

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hope anyone who is in Thailand could show at least 20,000 baht.  :o

I secon that.

Do you normally walk around with $500 in your pocket, for any one to pick?

Do you normally buy foreign currency overseas before entering a country.

I certainly don't. The banks give you lousy exchange rates.

I went back to the photo of the proclamation.

I think the critical words are "... for the issue of a visa in a passport...."

If you already have your 1 year extension and a re-entry permit, you will have shown that you have funds. 

Also you are not being "issued a visa", you already have it, and are re-enrering under the same visa!!

I wonder what they propose to do with people who do not have the cash?

They cannot go back into the country they have just left, they cannot enter Thailand? 

Catch 22?

Thanks again, Astral. Are you saying that a one-year multiple entry B visa (which requires exiting the country every 90 days and reentering without any sizeable fee) doesn't require another visa? Just a stamp in the passport? So the 20K shouldn't apply? But does that agree with some of the things the immigration officers there have been telling our posters?

No. That is a different kettle of Fish.

Once you have a Non Imm O or B visa, and you have extended it, when you leave the country and return on a Re-Entry permit, you are still on the same visa.

Whether this will really apply to this situation is anyone's guess.

After all "This is Thailand".

This whole thing is a can of worms.

Can you imagine everyone of a party of Chinese showing 20,000 baht (US$500) to the immigration when they arrive? I doubt they have that between them. Everything was prepaid in their country.

It will rebound on the tourist figures!!

Can someone suggest/recommend a visa run service to Aranyaprathet/Poipet. I need to get my visa renewed no later than tomorrow? I need to go from Bangkok. Name of the company, phone number would help.

You might want to ask questions in a new thread for fastest service.

See this for information on a popular service:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16854

As airports are controlled by division 2 and land borders are division 3 (so I am told) it seems likely that this will be land borders only...

Secondly Nong Khai / ThaiImmigration.com have been saying for months that this was coming due to a new computer system being implemented this year... However they categorically state that bank books / ATM reciepts will be accepted.

My guess is that once the dust settles this will spread to all land borders but will relax to be 'proof' of money into Thailand as an alternative to pure cash only.

An excellent idea, really...might help to keep some of the riff-raff out of the country!

Must be pretty bad over there on Ajarn when even the trademarked trolls are deserting!!!

"Steven" :o:D

^Actually, not so bad now that you've stopped posting there! BTW, (don't mean to go off topic but since you already have) how do the posters here enjoy the "Politically Correct" / pansy - style that previously made you such a success on the above mentioned (other) board?

-Spliff

:D:D

:D I just called home and told family (6) which usually come here every year late November and stay at LagunaPhuket that they ned to try and change some Euro to at least 60K Thai Baht home before they leave, if not you cannot enter Thailand. :D

Yes they will do, but if they come next year, well I dont know, but Mr. Tosk..in

do you think this is a smart way to get high spending tourist here......anymore

:o

You don't need to change your $ or € into Baht!

The rules say that you have to show xx,xxx.- Baht OR equivalent amount in foreign currency!

Carry $ or € etc. and change them into Baht in Thailand - better rate!!!

I guess that 'Toxin' and gang wants people to carry foreign currency into Thailand.

opalhort

On the scanned document of the actual regulation it stay "Cash monies" or Cash document.

What do they mean with cash document?

However I think Mr. T spit against the wind, because I saw on my Embassy web page yesterday that the regulation for Shcengen visas will be straighten up.

As airports are controlled by division 2 and land borders are division 3 (so I am told) it seems likely that this will be land borders only...

Secondly Nong Khai / ThaiImmigration.com have been saying for months that this was coming due to a new computer system being implemented this year... However they categorically state that bank books / ATM reciepts will be accepted.

My guess is that once the dust settles this will spread to all land borders but will relax to be 'proof' of money into Thailand as an alternative to pure cash only.

Are you sure about the Nong Khai response?

I have posted the question there.

The response was to ask who started the rumour, as they know nothing about the ruling.

I pointed them to the photo of the letter in this site, and they have gone very quiet!!

Anyway, why have one rule for tourists who fly in and another for those who enter via a land border?

I came back from mae sai about three days ago and they are definately going to be looking for 10k bhat, whats not clear to me is whether or not they would accept travellers checks and if not why not. The notice said cash certificates which can be converted to thaibhat are acceptable which sounds like travellers checks. Bankofamerica told me that travellers checks are same as cash. Ive met several foreigners in the past 3 days that are upset about it mainly because of the risk of robbery and personally it makes me nervous about continuing to stay in Thailand as I exist on a combination of visa runs and toursit visas.Perhaps their goal is to make things as difficult as possible for everyone who is existing on the fringe and I dont know why since we are mostly honest polite people who teach english and do import export buisness and we support the thai economy at the lower level. If we all left thailand tommorro many thais would loose their buisness and would suffer. Someone definitely needs to confirm whether travellers checks are acceptable.Personally, im out of here soon.All this visa stuff is just making it too hard to relax. I have ten year visa for India......

By the way someone mentioned mickey mouse currency of thai bhat which was then defended as being a strong currency to invest in I dont remember if it was on this thread but the problem is not the currency its the bank.If you put your money in a thai bank and then forget to check up on it for 6 months they can and will confiscate all your money.

Anyway, why have one rule for tourists who fly in and another for those who enter via a land border?

Because immigration is controlled by different office (Div 2 or Div 3) depending on if its a land (local) border or international flight (even with local countries)...

As the vast majority of 30 day runners are using land borders to keep prices down it makes sense to conctrate on those if you are trying to catch the cheap charlies.. Someone taking a 5k return to to KL or Singapore and having a night on the town so spending perhaps 10k is not in the cheap tourist category they are attempting to control.

Just my 2 satang

Dont know if its just me or my connection (consipiracy theorists unite :o ) but I am not able to access any sub forums of ThaiImmgration.com today.. .

I know with 100% certainty that this was covered in great detail by them and they made it very very clear that bank books and ATM reciepts were the prefered method that would be needed to be shown.. They also have been saying this was coming since June or so...

I came back from mae sai about three days ago and they are definately going to be looking for 10k bhat, whats not clear to me is whether or not they would accept travellers checks and if not why not. The notice said cash certificates which can be converted to thaibhat are acceptable which sounds like travellers checks. Bankofamerica told me that travellers checks are same as cash. Ive met several foreigners in the past 3 days that are upset about it mainly because of the risk of robbery and personally it makes me nervous about continuing to stay in Thailand as I exist on a combination of visa runs and toursit visas.Perhaps their goal is to make things as difficult as possible for everyone who is existing on the fringe and I dont know why since we are mostly honest polite people who teach english and do import export buisness and we support the thai economy at the lower level. If we all left thailand tommorro many thais would loose their buisness and would suffer. Someone definitely needs to confirm whether travellers checks are acceptable.Personally, im out of here soon.All this visa stuff is just making it too hard to relax. I have ten year visa for India......

By the way someone mentioned mickey mouse currency of thai bhat which was then defended as being a strong currency to invest in I dont remember if it was on this thread but the problem is not the currency its the bank.If you put your money in a thai bank and then forget to check up on it for 6 months they can and will confiscate all your money.

on yer bike!!

Yeah, it's to weed out all the unsavoury hangers on who look like <deleted> and taint this beautiful country's image.

30 days "on arrival" entry 'walkers': 10,000 Baht
If the above mean what is written it could include millions of tourists.
90 days Non-Immigrant visa holders: 20,000 Baht

If this mean what is written, well then I guess many will leave and not return!

To set a standard higher for everyone, except your own, can hit back in one or another form.

Dont know if its just me or my connection (consipiracy theorists unite :o ) but I am not able to access any sub forums of ThaiImmgration.com today.. .

I know with 100% certainty that this was covered in great detail by them and they made it very very clear that bank books and ATM reciepts were the prefered method that would be needed to be shown.. They also have been saying this was coming since June or so...

Think it is just you as have been able to access all pages today with only trouble at about 11:25 when all international lines seemed to go asleep on TRUE for awhile.

OK found it (site working again)

http://www.thaiimmigration.com/inv/index.php?showtopic=53

Hello garlic and welcome to our web board

We are happy about your questions since its surely is going to be an extremely hot topic in all the forums within not to far a future.

No, “visa-runs” are not directly illegal, but they are a violation of the intentions in Thai Law on Immigration.

1. 30 days permit-to-stay granted on arrival (which isn’t a visa) is intended for tourists’ coming to Thailand on a shorter vacation.

2. Tourist visas issued by the Thai Embassies/Consulates abroad are intended for tourists coming here for a longer vacation (more than 30 days), and have to be applied for before entering the Kingdom.

Both are intended for tourists only, not for people coming to live or work here.

The Law doesn’t say anything specific about it, but there used to be a rule mentioned on a former official Immigration web site saying following (in plain English):

“You are only allowed 3 entries in a row on a Tourist Visa. After the third time you must leave the Kingdom and will not be allowed to return for 6 months”.

It has never been enforced though.

Since most foreign passports now are electronically readable, and the Royal Thai Police, under which the Royal Thai Immigration belongs, now got a nice, huge server set up in BK, things could change. All Immigration checkpoints are today online with HQ in BK, and within short time they will all get the equipment to electronically read passports. It has been tested at BK Airport for about one year, and it is now ready to be implemented countrywide.

What will happen is following:

When you approach the Immigration checkpoint, you might be taken a side, get your picture taken, be interrogated about what you are doing in Thailand, and how you are financing your stay here. And it won’t help you to show THB 20-30.000 in cash. They could be income from illegal work in Thailand. You will have to prove that you have been transferring not less than THB 20-40.000,00 a month from abroad to cover the costings of your stay, going back up to 3 months depending on your visa (3 months or 30 days permit-to-stay). If you fail to do that, you will only be granted a 5-10 days permit-to-stay to give you time to pack your things and leave Thailand (again notice how fair we are). Further you will be prohibited from entering the Kingdom again within a period of not less than 6 months . If you after those 6 months want to re-enter the Kingdom, you must on arrival prove that you got sufficient funds to finance your stay.

Now you might ask, “What's the meaning of this”? Well, Thailand got an extremely liberal Law on Immigration and for sure don't mind foreigners staying here. We do consider them a valuable contribution to our society. But we do mind having foreigners working illegal and/or running illegal businesses. They are not that welcome. And them we want to catch, and hopefully we will. Foreigners staying under such conditions in the Kingdom should start counting their days here.

Finally you are asking about deportation. To get deported from Thailand your offence must be very serious. It’s mostly for people doing serious crimes like overstaying long term, shooting their neighbours, a.s.o. In the case about visa-runs we’ll give you 5-10 days after which you’ll have to leave. But if you don’t do that, if you misuse our fairness in that regard, then you’ll be blacklisted and prohibited from returning for a longer period. Other consequences: If you have been asked to leave the Kingdom, and prohibited from re-entering for a period, you’ll probably find it extremely difficult to obtain a new visa at a Thai Embassy, even after the mentioned period is passed. (The last is only what we have been informed by people experienced it).

We do hope this answers your questions. If not, then let’s know.

All the best

This post has been edited by Admin1 on May 16 2004, 04:16 PM

Once again clear and consistant advice !!!!

Someone taking a 5k return to to KL or Singapore and having a night on the town so spending perhaps 10k is not in the cheap tourist category they are attempting to control.

How shall they know why i go!

BTW, I take a trip like that almost every second/third month except form the period March to August.

No not because of Visa.

I’m member in a kind of "Club" which regularly meet in Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand and next is 9. October in Kuala Lumpur.

So what to prepare. Weekend in Kuala Lumpur full of Thai baht notes in my wallet or do I have to sign a document when I leave that I’m not a going for a new entry stamp!!!

Yes I know the Immigration can think so, but if case then I not need to go before December.

:D:D:o

just a question,what about the foreigners who have children here and dont get extension from the immigration because of whatever reason?they iimmigration will denie me the right to see my daughter if i dont carry around 40000baht in my pocket?i think this is probably against the law,not only agains the law in Europe or USA ut also against thai law.Im pretty sure i will not walk around with 40000baht in my pocket at Aranyapratet and wait that somebody will cut of my head for it,i think it is time that Thailand is changing atitudes,and i think it is time that foreigner should leave thailand for a while.I wonder how many businesses will crash if only 50% of foreigners who stay here permanent will go to Manila or other places.I understand the new law if it is only for tourist visa holders,i think it is ok if they show how they survive here,but Non"o" or Non "B" holders had their check up already when replying for the visa

Felt 35, so far there is no indication that airports are to be covered. This appears to be a way of controlling cheap charlies living in Thailand and working illegally (though the cash seems to have backfired and reduced its effectiveness).. So far flying seems like it is a different division and exempt.

FarangGerman, if you were on a 90 day entry they want to see 20k if its you alone and 40k if its you plus family travelling.. If a 30 day its 10k alone and 20k with family.

Dont forget that many many people dont qualify for Non Imm B or O status.. we have continually been told to relax and simply get your tourist visa's or be a 30 day walker (horrible drag anyway)... So now that consulates are saying no to tourist visa's and this issue with walkers that advice becomes a joke..

I was seriously thinking of a property investment that would have been 8 - 12 million baht.. No way I am thinking about that until this mess is sorted.

Yeah, it's to weed out all the unsavoury hangers on who look like <deleted> and taint this beautiful country's image.

jackr

Sure most decent people agree with you on that, but you forget one simple but very important thing here:

"Everything is for sale, included immigration and the law, and that not really fit with politeness, honesty, and strong moral and good behaviour which they will need if they want to make this place any different from what it is.

So let the time roll, and we will see.