Dog Clicker

Asaf

I have tried to search for this topic but still cannot find.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can buy a Dog Training 'Clicker' in Bangkok? I have gone to some of the pet stores and most have not heard of them....

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Asaf

I also looked a couple of years back and gave up.

According to my "clicker' training manual the click can be replaced by word or phrase, like "Good Boy!"

But I would have preferred the clicker. :o

I also looked a couple of years back and gave up.

According to my "clicker' training manual the click can be replaced by word or phrase, like "Good Boy!"

But I would have preferred the clicker. :o

Thanks for your response. Yes - for my 13 week boxer she is learning hand and voice commands quickly but would like to convert to clicker which is easier and faster when outside.

I hope someone can point us in the right direction!

asaf

if i have some in the house i can mail them to u; i'm in israel... will look today but i have a sneaky suspicion that i threw them out when cleaning house one day as i just used the verbal thing instead. i found my one boxer anticipated when he saw i had the clicker in hand, but became a blob when i didnt have it in hand... words can be hidden until used. (both dogs of mine boxers, one from finland, one from the IDF(mother was, that is)...

or u can order from karen pryor's web site, or others for that matter...

or possibly they sell them here also; last time i checked, click training was just starting to be popular here... there are two guys on the kibbutz now doing training, perhaps they have extras if u want..

bina

israel

(or ask nienke, from the forum, i think she click trains)

Yep, that's correct. Thanks, Bina. I clicker-train already for years at the kennel, with most lovely results. I also have clickers, so if you're interested drop me a pm.

I'm always delighted when I see that people are interested in this wonderful and very dog-friendly training device and -technique.

If a dog only becomes anticipated when clicker and rewards are visible, then something went wrong with the training itself. The clicker is mainly used in the beginning when a new trick is taught and this trick can be shake-hand, roll-over or jumping through a hoop, but sit-down-stay and the other basic commands are, in fact, also not more than tricks. That's the reason why dog trainers can teach pretty much every dog these tricks, but it doesn't mean that once the dog goes home it will obey the owner, despite the fact that it knows to sit-down-stay etc on command.

Once the dog starts understanding what is desired from him/her, the use of the clicker is slowly decreased. Also once the dog understands what is desired, then a verbal cue (command) is added. By the time the dog responds fully to the verbal command, the clicker becomes superfluous for that specific command and behavior. It is important though to keep on reinforcing the behavior with verbal praise and once in a while a delicious treat or a favorite game.

For example, many people give the command 'sit' before the dog actually understands what it means. Resulting in the cue given at times that the dog does something different, making it more difficult for him/her to make the association between the command 'sit' and the actual behavior of putting its butt on the ground.

In the beginning it is certainly not easy to learn how to use the clicker. But once that coin drops, it is just wonderful to see how well a dog responds. After all, what is more nicer to a dog than a trainer/owner who is very clear in telling what they want from it. Plus, it is a very friendly way of telling.

Nienke

A big aluminum bottle cap works just as well, the ones that are soft enough to push the middle in and get that click sound. sounds exactly like a clicker to me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can buy a Dog Training 'Clicker' in Bangkok? I have gone to some of the pet stores and most have not heard of them....

Thank you in advance.

hi staffbull,

Good Idea but it sometimes isn't as reliable as a real clicker and also has to be perfect on the place. This is tough when your dog sits and you need to mark the condition right away....

Thanks,

Asaf

A big aluminum bottle cap works just as well, the ones that are soft enough to push the middle in and get that click sound. sounds exactly like a clicker to me.

Thank you in advance.