Digital Cameras - Competitive Prices In Chiang Mai?

bucklt

I am looking to buy a new digital camera at present:

Olympus SP560 or

Sony DSC H7 or

Panasonic DMC FZ18.

However, when I find these cameras in different stores etc , they all appear to be selling at the same prices???

Are there any real 'price competitive' stores in this city??

Or, can I get them cheaper via mail order from Bangkok etc.

All help appreciated.

Tony :o

The prices of the non-pro cameras are usually very keen so there's not much room for discount but you can always ask. Members of the Chiang Mai Photographic Group get the best deals at Photo Bug with their discount card although the amount varies from item to item - maybe 5% on a point and shoot (but don't quote me). Some supermarkets may have good prices on popular models but often the photo dept is a franchise such as Photo Hut so they wont be much different. Check out Tesco.

If you're interested in photography there's a meeting of the Chiang Mai Photography Group tonight at 7.00 - see the post below.

Edited by Greenside

mostly controlled prices on P&S cameras and some of the cheaper SLR's. Its worth shopping around though if you already know which model you want. Places to start at would be Big Camera at Airport Plaza, Photo Bug also at Airport or at Chaiyapoom Rd., Denchai, Carrefour, Makro (sometimes very cheap on some models especially Kodak), and Tesco's. A day's job in Chiang mai with no traffic :o

there's a store in pan thip plaza in bangkok that seems to be significantly cheaper than all the others i've seen. it's on the third floor i think. not 100% sure. it's small and not as noticeable as the other ones (i only found it when someone directed me there). wish i could give you better directions. it's sort of in the middle of everything, maybe a bit east of the center on the third floor of shops.

if you order from an online company in the states and have it sent to a friend who just happens to be coming over to thailand soon, you'd probably save enormously. (that's a big if, of course)

for instance, i have my eye on a tamron 18-250 lens which can be had in the US for the equivalent of under 13,000 baht, but costs 18,400 here.

o

I bought mine online off a Thai online shop called meecamera - they have an actual store in Bangkok too on the Thonburi side, I had a friend go there first to check they were for real. If you google their name they come up as the first result.

They had a promotion campaign for the model I wanted at the time, Fujifilm F30. I googled for the model name and the word ราคา in Thai, and they offered the cheapest deal I could find.

By ordering online I ended up paying 2000 baht less than the cheapest deal I found in Chiang Mai (checking the shops in Panthip, Airport Plaza and Kad Suan Kaew).

I suggest a Nikon or canon , cos there are btter brand and even the low end model have better lens ..

the most importance factor would be the Battery usuage . - would strongly you go for thos ethat use AA battery - so you can buy extra nicam battery and chare it yourself .

also some brand have very power draining cam which mean - in less then 30 photo your battery will be flashing finshing .

the best i know so far is the Nikon Coolpix collection .. that use AA battery . choose your needs .. for 2 AA battery it last me about 300 phots or so .. and one of the model even say that it can last a 1000 photo shot without flash ..

so good luck ..

i got a FUJI i slel you got 2000 whahah if you want ,, whahahahah

is a good Digital cam with lotsof function

PM me if you keen is working perfect just the battery just don't last long on the cam .. if your work is simple this would fit you

actually the fuji f30 is considered by many to be the best compact digital camera ever made. you made a good choice! excellent low light performance, and great lens. replacement batteries are 1000 baht and a charge lasts forever. the new f50 is crap.

Members of the Chiang Mai Photographic Group get the best deals at Photo Bug with their discount card

Joined your Group, then found Photo Bug, got my Oly E-3 and another camera from Khun Pop, never got me discount card from your group though..................................... :D

Bangkok Calling :o

Kan Win :D

actually the fuji f30 is considered by many to be the best compact digital camera ever made. you made a good choice! excellent low light performance, and great lens. replacement batteries are 1000 baht and a charge lasts forever. the new f50 is crap.

that is absolutely right. thats what i have been using as well for the last couple of years. its a superb camera and was rated a TIWA award winner. Battery life is rated at 550 shots per charge. unfortunately my battery discharges quickly when not in use. have to get a new battery.

very usable pictures up to 1600 ISO which is excellent for a P&S. 3200 ISO would be asking too much for good usable pics but i have gotten some nice ones. automatic scene settings work great as well.

I am not sure about the F40fd or the F50fd but they sure are cheap. have not been on the photography forums for a long time and don't really know what gives the best bang for the buck. look at what the sunset scene selection gave me:

post-29436-1199889512_thumb.jpg

Denchai have a 'digital camera fair' on until Feb 15th. Just looked at their web page and they are advertising this: Olympus E500 digital SLR for 19,900 cash only.

Competitive price?

I went and bought a camera there just this sunday gone. I had in mind one of four models from my research (dSLRs) and chose the olympus E510, the successor to the model you mention. there was no E500 model there!

I paid 28,500 baht (they showed it at 29,000). Today i had cause to be in panthip plaza and noticed on the ground floor in Big Cameras the same camera for 27,000. Oh well.

Perhaps you ought to go there!

very usable pictures up to 1600 ISO which is excellent for a P&S. 3200 ISO would be asking too much for good usable pics but i have gotten some nice ones. automatic scene settings work great as well.

Try out the 'Imagenic' Noisware Pro plug-in for PhotoShopCS3. I was gobsmacked at the results it gives when shooting at either high ISO or very long exposure. Removes almost all the digital noise (grain?) without reducing the sharp clarity of details as the older noise reduction programs did. This one doesn't simply soften the photo, it removes the noise. Quite simply; fantastic!

I do a lot of low light/natural light photography and this is the answer I have been craving for years!

Olympus SP560 or

Sony DSC H7 or

Panasonic DMC FZ18.

However, when I find these cameras in different stores etc , they all appear to be selling at the same prices???

All help appreciated.

Tony :D

Just got back from Malaysia all cameras are tax FREE if you know someone going on a visa run you can save thousands of bhat I bought an olympus with stand etc saved 4k bhat on chiang mai prices. :o

Olympus SP560 or

Sony DSC H7 or

Panasonic DMC FZ18.

All help appreciated.

Tony :D

Just got back from Malaysia all cameras are tax FREE if you know someone going on a visa run you can save thousands of bhat I bought an olympus with stand etc saved 4k bhat on chiang mai prices. :o

i am currently in malaysia and been here many times. have done camera shopping and its definitely not cheaper than thailand. some of them hike them prices so much in touristy areas and don't really care about people who know the camera's worth.

i rather buy in thailand. although most cameras come with an international warranty, it would be easier to get it fixed in thailand if bought in thailand IMHO.

TB

just checked out the meecamera.com website. seems to me that the prices are mostly the same as at photobug.

At the time I was intent on getting that very model after all the good reviews, so I did not look at prices of other cameras on their website. As I said they had their own sales campaign at the time for the F30, which may be why they were so much cheaper than all the shops I checked here in CM.

It usually pays to look at all options.