Drunk Farang

jbowman1993

Has anyone noticed that in a land that is so concerned about the availability of cheap spirits, drunk-driving and round-the-clock drinking where some men seem to practically clean their teeth with whiskey in the morning, that they get plastered at the drop of a hat? I've seen this time and again at weddings, funerals and just general parties. The men all make a big show of putting all the bottles on the table, grinning, rubbing their hands in anticipation, and then 30 minutes later, they're totally bladdered! And that's with half a ton of ice with beer and ice and water with whiskey. They make a big show of getting the dumb Thai (me!) to sit down with them and lets show him some hard-drinking, boys. Then they're giggling like girlies and sliding off the bench. Perhaps it's because we're used to drinking pints in Thailand. I don't know, but it always makes me laugh, bless 'em.

Has anyone noticed that in a land that is so concerned about the availability of cheap spirits, drunk-driving and round-the-clock drinking where some men seem to practically clean their teeth with whiskey in the morning, that they get plastered at the drop of a hat? I've seen this time and again at weddings, funerals and just general parties. The men all make a big show of putting all the bottles on the table, grinning, rubbing their hands in anticipation, and then 30 minutes later, they're totally bladdered! And that's with half a ton of ice with beer and ice and water with whiskey. They make a big show of getting the dumb Thai (me!) to sit down with them and lets show him some hard-drinking, boys. Then they're giggling like girlies and sliding off the bench. Perhaps it's because we're used to drinking pints in Thailand. I don't know, but it always makes me laugh, bless 'em.

Mr. Spock,

Are you making a parody of another TV thread "Drunken Thais" <deleted>!

Best thread of the day. A parody. Farangs need to 'take a good look in the mirror' before lambasting Thais as drunkards.

Most of the worst most obnoxious drunks i have ever known in LoS, have been Farang.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Best thread of the day. A parody. Farangs need to 'take a good look in the mirror' before lambasting Thais as drunkards.

Most of the worst most obnoxious drunks i have ever known in LoS, have been Farang.

Maybe its the company you keep? :o

Quite. For the record, I was not "lambasting Thais as drunkards". Merely curious at the apparent gap between myth and my perception.

Quite. For the record, I was not "lambasting Thais as drunkards". Merely curious at the apparent gap between myth and my perception.

Much of the Farang stereotype of Thai men as 'drunkards' is pure Bar Stool gossip. Pop into any Bar Beer and you can be sure to hear relentless stories, told by the female staff, of their former Thai husbands and their drink problem. Ironic in fact that the Farang who laps these stories up is in fact no different from the Thai guys in these tales.

Reminds me of that other great Bar Stool classic of Farangs lapping up all the stories of Thai guys playing around, while they themselves are bar hopping from one girl to another.

Sure, Thai guys drink a lot but it is lunacy to lambast them before first 'taking a look in the mirror' (i'm not talking just to you, Micksterbs). Take a stroll around Pattaya or Bkk's Soi Nana and you will witness Farang's getting trashed at the likes of 1 o'clock in the afternoon.

"Then they're giggling like girlies and sliding off the bench"

Well, that's a good perception. My own experience of many Farangs when they get pissed, is no different.

As for Prakanong's comment, he ought to have seen my location to have realized that where i am, there isn't much opportunity to 'keep company' with such Farang folk.

Edited by Stephen Cleary

Much of the Farang stereotype of Thai men as 'drunkards' is pure Bar Stool gossip. Pop into any Bar Beer and you can be sure to hear relentless stories, told by the female staff, of their former Thai husbands and their drink problem. Ironic in fact that the Farang who laps these stories up is in fact no different from the Thai guys in these tales.

Reminds me of that other great Bar Stool classic of Farangs lapping up all the stories of Thai guys playing around, while they themselves are bar hopping from one girl to another.

Sure, Thai guys drink a lot but it is lunacy to lambast them before first 'taking a look in the mirror' (i'm not talking just to you, Micksterbs). Take a stroll around Pattaya or Bkk's Soi Nana and you will witness Farang's getting trashed at the likes of 1 o'clock in the afternoon.

"Then they're giggling like girlies and sliding off the bench"

Well, that's a good perception. My own experience of many Farangs when they get pissed, is no different.

As for Prakanong's comment, he ought to have seen my location to have realized that where i am, there isn't much opportunity to 'keep company' with such Farang folk.

True I did not notice your location.

As for drunk Thai's and farang. As I am in my glorious middle age if I have a bevvy while on holiday I tend to like a few of an afternoon and go home early as I can not do the late nights anymore. I have been known to partake a few in say Morning Night or Golden Beer bar so in Soi 4 or some of the expat bar's up the street at holiday times when I know guy's will not be at work.

I do see farangs drinking there in the afternoon but not that many drinking to get drunk or that many shit faced - I would notice and would probably move on. Of course every so often there is one or two or even a group but its not like farang are rolling around pissed out of their facers all the time.

I have seen different in Pattaya though but have not been there since August 2006.

As for Thai's guy's and getting drunk well I tend to avoid them if I see them and make excuses when they have invited me to join them. This has been on beaches such as on Samet and Samui as well as up in the villages.

I do not want to stereotype but they seem to be drinking to get drunk rather than to just have a couple - I am sure plenty of farang drink just to get drunk as well but I think there are also a large group that drink socially and not to get drunk.

I was probably the same when a lot younger meaning drinking to get drunk - when we went out it was for a good bevvy on a Friday or Saturday night.

Edited by Prakanong

The men all make a big show of putting all the bottles on the table, grinning, rubbing their hands in anticipation, and then 30 minutes later, they're totally bladdered!...

Erm.....that's prolly cos they have about 3 bottles of Sangsom beforehand.

Probably because the Thais are not stupid enough to sit in bars all day and pay rip off prices.

They get drunk at home.

Rip off prices in Thailand??????

You had better not get a bar bill anytime soon in Singapore then.

I can not imagine anything as boring as getting drunk at home - at least drinking socially your have an excuse :o

to be honest, i have not seen that many extremly drunk thai men, and the few i have seen, has never ever bothered me, never.

On the other hand i have seen ALOT of very drunk falangs, and some of them have been quite agressive.

This is so tiresome, this whole thing with doing an exact copy of someone else's post but swapping the nationalities round..yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn, oh well back to the playground it is then :o

Agree, a cheap/free point given to the OP by someone else.

Even though I still see all my Thai friends get drunk much earlier then me, I also agree with the poster stating "Most of the worst most obnoxious drunks i have ever known in LoS, have been Farang".

The vast majority of drunk Thais I have observed, are normally just extremely chatty, or they need help by some friends to walk to the taxi.

Farangs here behave very differently when they are drunk.

I shouldn't really need to repeat myself but like I said above, I was not "lambasting" them. I'm more than aware of how some farangs behave in LOS although luckily, up here, we're spared the worst of such nonsense. If you read my OP (not this rip-off), you will see it as a light-hearted, affectionate look at the difference between the myth and my experience. And no, the parties I had in mind were occasions when I know that we all started drinking at the same time, i.e. straight after work etc.

Edited by micksterbs

Great parody, jbowman1993... :o

To proselytize some sort of theory that there are physiological differences between Thais and farangs is absurd and has no basis in science... which getting drunk boils down to.

Rather than a racial disparity in the propensity for getting drunk, it's simply a matter of

x amount of alcohol in y amount of body weight equals z level of intoxication.

Thanks again... well done.

Edited by sriracha john

I know this is not Thailand but last night in Dung Quat there were two "farangs" and we were both p1ssed ergo 100% of "farangs" are p1ss artists. Conversely despite extensive enquiries we found no p1ssed Thais, we found no Thais but for the sake of this statistical survey we'll ignore that, ergo 100% of Thais are sober upright citizens.

You mostly find what you look for in human behaviour.

Q.E.D. :o

childish !

don't you understand that you can learn from your mistakes? of course that's only possible if you're also able to admit them ... grow up !

Asian people don't have a specific enzyme in their body, that's why they get drunk faster ... so the original post was not bashing or so, it was right, this is totally ridiculous and all it tells us is that Thais are probably also missing an enzyme to handle facts

you do get drunk faster as the average farang, it's a fact, live with it ...

childish !

don't you understand that you can learn from your mistakes? of course that's only possible if you're also able to admit them ... grow up !

Asian people don't have a specific enzyme in their body, that's why they get drunk faster ... so the original post was not bashing or so, it was right, this is totally ridiculous and all it tells us is that Thais are probably also missing an enzyme to handle facts

you do get drunk faster as the average farang, it's a fact, live with it ...

Have heard it many times, i would still like to see some real studies about this before i believe it. To me it just sounds like some average drunkard uneducated besserwisser farang story, invented 4 a clock in the morning after way too many beers.

Drunk farangs are usually more obnoxious than drunk Thais because they are more obnoxious when sober too.

I had a drink(soft) in Sukhumvit soi 7, 2 weeks ago and it was pathetic watching some farang. I can't believe I managed to live on that soi for a couple of years - it really is the pits.

It's strange because now when I see farang, I don't feel that I am one myself.

I used to be a farang, a drunk, obnoxious one too but managed to change. I guess I shouldn't lose hope for those that still are :o

I'm glad I don't live in the zoo any more, I am FREE!

Drunk farangs are usually more obnoxious than drunk Thais because they are more obnoxious when sober too.

I had a drink(soft) in Sukhumvit soi 7, 2 weeks ago and it was pathetic watching some farang. I can't believe I managed to live on that soi for a couple of years - it really is the pits.

It's strange because now when I see farang, I don't feel that I am one myself.

I used to be a farang, a drunk, obnoxious one too but managed to change. I guess I shouldn't lose hope for those that still are :o

I'm glad I don't live in the zoo any more, I am FREE!

Hmm , you mean nobody is throwing the ball anymore , so a street dog now ? :D

Judging on your avatar , couldn't resist . :D