Scanning Or Digitizing Slides

Rasseru

I have hundreds of slides that I would like to digitize or have digitized. In other words, scanned so that I can have them on my computer.

I want to explore two options, that of buying or renting a scanner and doing the scanning myself and that of having a service company do it for me.

I would be grateful for any recommendations or suggestions regarding shops in Chiangmai that sell or rent scanners and shops that offer a scanning service.

I have hundreds of slides that I would like to digitize or have digitized. In other words, scanned so that I can have them on my computer.

I want to explore two options, that of buying or renting a scanner and doing the scanning myself and that of having a service company do it for me.

I would be grateful for any recommendations or suggestions regarding shops in Chiangmai that sell or rent scanners and shops that offer a scanning service.

Years ago, I had Photo Bug scan around 10 rolls of slide film and they did a fine job. They were very flexible about what format to save them as (I chose Photoshop files). Can't remember how much it cost, but would recommend them.

"Hundreds" of slides is not that much. I'd probably do a test run with a service such as Photo Bug, and if you like the product, have them do them all.

Years ago, I had Photo Bug scan around 10 rolls of slide film and they did a fine job. They were very flexible about what format to save them as (I chose Photoshop files). Can't remember how much it cost, but would recommend them.

"Hundreds" of slides is not that much. I'd probably do a test run with a service such as Photo Bug, and if you like the product, have them do them all.

Very useful information. Where is Photo Bug?

The main branch of Photo Bug (there are a few locations around the city) is on Chaiyaphum Road, north of the Amora hotel, in the vicinity of the hamburger joint on the corner and in front of Cafe Libernard (the best coffee in Chiang Mai!).

There is also a branch at Panthip Plaza and one at the airport mall.

Edited by mild7even

The main branch of Photo Bug (there are a few locations around the city) is on Chaiyaphum Road, north of the Amora hotel, in the vicinity of the hamburger joint on the corner and in front of Cafe Libernard (the best coffee in Chiang Mai!).

Joe Cummings and the palm reader, The Amazing Dennis, both claim that this is the best coffee around. I'm not much of an expert on coffee, but it seems a little strong to me. What do you think? :o

The main branch of Photo Bug (there are a few locations around the city) is on Chaiyaphum Road, north of the Amora hotel, in the vicinity of the hamburger joint on the corner and in front of Cafe Libernard . . . . .

There is also a branch at Panthip Plaza and one at the airport mall.

Thanks, mild7even, for both this and your first post. After your first post, I googled Photobug to find where it is, and stopped by the one on Chayaphum Road this morning to check on prices. For anyone else who is interested, the scanning charge is 30 baht per slide, dropping to 15 baht per slide for orders greater than 20. There is also a small charge for the CD or DVD they put the images on.

I would still be grateful for recommendations for shops that sell scanners.

Most computer sellers also carry scanners but unless you're in the market for a flatbed anyway and will be happy with a bit less than the best quality results from the slides, I'd advise letting someone else do the work. Here's a link with a lot of information about scanners, if you want to do a bit of research.

Most computer sellers also carry scanners but unless you're in the market for a flatbed anyway and will be happy with a bit less than the best quality results from the slides, I'd advise letting someone else do the work. Here's a link with a lot of information about scanners, if you want to do a bit of research.

Oddly enough, I was getting better results with my HP flatbed scanner than I was getting with a dedicated Nikon slide scanner! The only advantage to the Nikon, for me, was that I could do bulk scanning, putting in either entire strips of slide film or 50 cut slides at a time. I was doing 15x sampling and putting out huge file sizes at very high resolution, and still could not get the quality that the HP flatbed gave me, but limited me to 6 cut slides per scan. Two years ago I sold the Nikon scanner to FotoFile in MBK Center as I just never used it. I don't understand why this was so, but thankfully those days are over for me. I still have several rolls of Velvia in the freezer should I ever feel the need to go retro....