Trouble On The Dancefloor At Spasso

Journalist

Western friend of mine was spending a weekend in Thailand and was in Spasso.

A smallish Thai man barges his way between my friend and the woman he was talking to.

My friend turns and clips Thai man's shoulder in a 'hey don't be so rude' gesture.

Suddenly he's being strangled from behind by some gigantic goon.

Questions:

Is this a real gangster, or just some pillock who can afford to hire protection?

Anyone else had problems with bullies in posh clubs?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't spent a lot of time here have you!

Westerners have a sense of manners and priority, Asians, Thai's do not. When some one barges in between two people it really doesn't mean much at all.

When your friend slapped the Thai mans shoulder he "laid first hand" and that was seen as aggression by the bouncer, quite right too.

I can only hope your friend doesn't go to a 7-11 where people always vie for pole position without concern for priority or Western manners. God forbid he should ever get behind the wheel of a car.

As for posh clubs - it's all relative and appearances can be deceptive.

A smallish Thai man barges his way between my friend and the woman he was talking to.

My friend turns and clips Thai man's shoulder in a 'hey don't be so rude' gesture.

Questions:

Is this a real gangster, or just some pillock who can afford to hire protection?

Give us some more information. Was the guy who headlocked your friend a bouncer? Was there a stand-off or any punches to attract the bouncers over? What happened afterwards?

Some clubs do attract some locals trying to be "up there" and show off, some have bodyguards but not many at all nowadays. There is is one fellow who springs to mind and drives a yellow ferrari..

and neither have you?

Westerners have a sense of manners and priority, Asians, Thai's do not. When some one barges in between two people it really doesn't mean much at all.

99.99% of Thai's will do anything to avoid walking between two people talking to each other, and when there is no way to avoid doing so, will stoop low so as to avoid getting in their faces. Manners are everything.

The OP came across a goon and idiot pure and simple.

99.99% of Thai's will do anything to avoid walking between two people talking to each other, and when there is no way to avoid doing so, will stoop low so as to avoid getting in their faces. Manners are everything.

interesting! but how are we western barbarians supposed to know that Samran? i have read (and memorized) a number of thai "dos and donts" but never came across this one.

and neither have you?

Correct, and they dont only reside in thailand ,.

Questions:

Never my self, ive seen a bit though,usually its farang though,not thais,.

interesting! but how are we western barbarians supposed to know that Samran? i have read (and memorized) a number of thai "dos and donts" but never came across this one.

don't stress doctor.

Stick with me, and you'll go far young klingon.

and neither have you?

Samran I've not been here very long as a full time resident, just six years but I've lived in the region for the past twenty years and I have been a frequent visitor during that period. I give you all of that since you raised a question.

As far as your 99.99% figure is concerned: sadly my experience, during my time in Thailand (and other parts of Asia) is concerned, shows that number to be hugely incorrect. Certainly in many business environments it is true but in social gatherings, formal and otherwise, that is not the case. Walk down any street in any area of any town or city and see what happens when two people are walking together and are faced with oncoming pedestrian traffic, I think we both understand that as does everyone else. I don't mean to suggest that Thai's (or Asians in general) are bad mannered or disrespectful it's just the way the culture is in this region. The need to be first, the need to not give way is massively evident as a pedestrian, as a motorist, as a shop customer waiting for service in a queue, as a passenger boarding a plane and everywhere else you care to think of.

and neither have you?

Not just Thai's but many other Asian do exactly this - even tonight on a packed bus in Singapore I noticed this and was thinking about it - what a coincidence.

I even find myself doing it now in the office sometimes.

and neither have you?

Samran I've not been here very long as a full time resident, just six years but I've lived in the region for the past twenty years and I have been a frequent visitor during that period. I give you all of that since you raised a question.

As far as your 99.99% figure is concerned: sadly my experience, during my time in Thailand (and other parts of Asia) is concerned, shows that number to be hugely incorrect. Certainly in many business environments it is true but in social gatherings, formal and otherwise, that is not the case. Walk down any street in any area of any town or city and see what happens when two people are walking together and are faced with oncoming pedestrian traffic, I think we both understand that as does everyone else. I don't mean to suggest that Thai's (or Asians in general) are bad mannered or disrespectful it's just the way the culture is in this region. The need to be first, the need to not give way is massively evident as a pedestrian, as a motorist, as a shop customer waiting for service in a queue, as a passenger boarding a plane and everywhere else you care to think of.

I think you are talking at crossed purposes here. Yes they do not move on the bloody pavement and enter MRT's carriages and lifts before you get out - this happens in quite a few places.

If you are talking to another person though in an office, restaurant etc etc and the only way past is between you they do mostly duck down slightly as a matter of politeneness.

Maybe the Thai guy in the OP did not want to be polite or was being beligerent as he had a bodyguard with him ?

Seriously? You have noticed that even if you are sat down people will duck their heads and hurry past, an effort not to be "head higher" or "in your face" to use the western idiom?

I concur most thai(s) won't barge in between a person unless its necessary. As for this instance very dangerous of your mate to interfere, he has no clue on what was going on between said lady and thai lad. People have been killed for less, especially since he has no clue who this lad was or what sort of person he is.

I never put my hands on anyone, whether it be in Thailand or the USA, unless that person is starting to fall to the ground. Some of the other posters have it right...this is a dangerous world today, filled with people with a lot of attitudes and you don't know who you are dealing with. Now, would I have something pointed to say? Damned right. And if they take offense to that, well woe be unto them. Even at the age of 60, I'm no shrinking violet. But to be honest, I just have not run into that rude behavior very often in Thailand...even at 7-11's. And I never run into it in the USA, even among young people. Guess I'm just lucky.

Perhaps you're thinking of Hong Kong, where rudeness is a way of life. Or Singapore, where "kiasu" (afraid of losing) is a way of life.

In Thailand, most people - not 99.99%, but a significant majority, do indeed go out of their way to avoid disturbing you.

If you live in Chiang Mai, and this is your experience, you must live near the Night Bazaar. The rest of Chiang Mai is full of polite people. And it is clear that you do not understand that Asia is not one culture - it's many different cultures as well as many different blends of these cultures. What you're implying is that Asia is like Europe - are all Europeans belligerent?

and neither have you?

I was about to say what a BS post that was, but since I see you have....

And to the OP, I believe these things happen everywhere in the world.

You are just not very observant then. It is done very subtly. :o

The title "blood on the dance floor" wrongly gives the impression that someone was seriously injured.

Yes...... a bit sensational.

I was somehow expecting so much more :D

sensational story, but wheres the blood?! Ah now I understand, the posters name says it all 'journalist' :o

:D

exactly!

I even find myself doing it now ...

Me too - for the last several months. It's no big deal. If it stops someone being upset and makes them feel good, why not?

Agree - funny thing is I can not remember conciously remember making a decision to do it. It was in my office and two of the girls were talking in front of my desk and I was going round to the water cooler and I remember ducking down to walk through them and it was when I got past I realised I had done it without thinking.

I do not do it in Shopping Malls or public places though where Singaporeans are standing right in the middle of the main thoroughfares when they could stand aside and let everyone past very easily.

I still duck in Britain and especially when I am in the Thai Temple here in London. But I do it in all British situations where two people are talking and you have to pass through them. I must say however that in queues in Thailand, Thai people just shoved in regardless of their place in the queue... :o

meemaithai: And to the OP, I believe these things happen everywhere in the world.

Right on!! :o

designersing: sensational story, but wheres the blood?! Ah now I understand, the posters name says it all 'journalist'

Haha.

Here's my take on this sort of thing: Most Thais are non-confrontational, and therefore usually polite. There is a minority of Thais who take advantage of this attitude are are pushy, rude and aggresive. Because the majority don't like to make a fuss about things the pushy minority get away with it.

I know a woman that understands that most Thais do not like confrontation so she confronts hard core... that is her edge. It gets old really.

Yes, I know about Thais ducking and I do it too, but I think it is a matter of location that determines if the practice is going to be used or not. Kind of like burping... so locations no big deal, some locations a big deal.

As far as laying hands on someone, especially at a night club... not a good idea. Causeing a Thai man to lose face in front of a Thai woman... very bad idea, a recipe for murder.

There have been several stories of cops shooting people just because of verbal asualts etc. I believe a cop once shot a falang after he spit in the cops face?