Trouble On The Dancefloor At Spasso

Journalist

There is no greater danger in Thailand than the ignoramus. I too live my entire life in fear of being menaced by such a creature. I also fear the hooligan. Both these fears, however, are eclipsed by my greatest fear: that of encountering a ruffian.

You toy with your fears sir! You have entirely forgotten to mention the thing I fear more than anything the wuffian! Be afwaid be very afwaid.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no greater danger in Thailand than the ignoramus. I too live my entire life in fear of being menaced by such a creature. I also fear the hooligan. Both these fears, however, are eclipsed by my greatest fear: that of encountering a ruffian.

You toy with your fears sir! You have entirely forgotten to mention the thing I fear more than anything the wuffian! Be afwaid be very afwaid.

Agree 100% :o

Hello Folks -

I am a new member but not new to Thailand. Always wanted to post but never got around to it.

I am married to a very nice lady from a upper middle class family whom recieved her MBA from the USA.

Just providing a little background about me and mine - I am a normal guy whom loves his wife, children,

family, and friends. I am very easy going and certainly have no intention of causing problems.

Splendid, splendid. Thank goodness you're not one of those wretched and hopeless people who are less stable, less educated, less upper middle class than you.

Having read this post it hails my biggest fear of Thailand - becoming a victim of an ignoramous.

I do not intend to boast but simply provide an example. I am extremely wealthy - not moderately -

I have several friends that are much, much wealthier than I. I cannot envision one of them requesting

a table on the dance floor at Spassos as this gentlemen has. In my mind this is an example of a very

small man with a BIG ego and no class. I raise the wealth issue because of comments of jealousy - I am

not jealous of anybody and I strongly believe most people are not.

By 'much, much weathier than I,' do you mean extremely extremely extremely wealthy? Or simply extremely extremely wealthy? Perhaps you could clarify by providing some kind of chart or diagram?

The cases of small people getting away with murder quite frankly scares the hel_l of of me.

Thank you for informing me of this remarkable phenomenon. I had no idea that small people were more likely to get away with murder in Thailand. I shall certainly be confining myself to the company of tall people in the future (preferably upper middle class, normal people!) in the hope that I'm not killed to bits by a small person or an ignoramus, or - the nightmare scenario - ignoramus tinius.

Post of the year? Love it :o

The thing that gets me is that people are surprised that manners and politeness are somehow expected to be found in nightclubs near closing time = chances are someone got drunk and that someone started to grab or push a girl on the dance floor and therefore encountered the wrath of the management. This is not unique to Asia, so get over it.

As for the elevator comments, this one I agree with, it seems really odd to me that Thais (Asians in general) feel the need to a) rush the lift before it takes off with nobody on it and :o realize that the up arrow means up and the down arrow means going down. BTW this is not unique to Thailand. Even the so called hi tech Japanese and Taiwanese suffer from this phenomenom. They can build em but they don't know how to use em.

As for 711, this one used to drive me crazy, you stand in line and some highly educated Thai with an orange vest on(kidding) thinks its his right to jump in front of everyone. I used to get quite cross with this but figured that there is no chance in hel_l I can educate the uneducatable so I let them jump in. What you may try to do once is awhile is hold a door open for someone in Bangkok and see how they react. Most are quite surprised that you didnt slam it shut in their face as you walked through.

Jumping the queue should be unacceptable the world over, and because you're a guest in someone's country doesn't mean you should do nothing accept it. It's basic manners. I certainly would be embarrassed and have to comment if anyone in my company blatently barged to the front. My Thai friend tell me the most problems they have like this are from the Chinese Thai older generation (well, more like pure Chinese that live in Thailand). I have noticed such too, but also a fair amount from youths. As I was queuing for a BTS ticket one Thai guy in a hurry apparently didn't see me 6 inches away from the kiosk and put his notes in before mine. I was amazed by two things: the cashiers here NEVER pick up or act on a queuejumper. Also I was open-mouthed at this guy's gall who didn't even look around. I asked him why he did that and that next time wait his turn, and that his manners were bad. He understood, looked embarrassed and said sorry. Some posters on TV would have you believe that defacing a Thai ends up with a killing. I'm very much still alive, and I would expect the guy to be more observant of his surroundings (people) next time.

Thais don't hold doors open in general, but I make a point of it. I prefer to be polite in my own way, and if anyone in this country appreciates and copies it eventually, then great. If not...I'll continue to do it. The amazement and the preceding smile on many ladies' faces when you open a door for them makes it worth continuing.

Jumping the queue should be unacceptable the world over, and because you're a guest in someone's country doesn't mean you should do nothing accept it. It's basic manners. I certainly would be embarrassed and have to comment if anyone in my company blatently barged to the front. My Thai friend tell me the most problems they have like this are from the Chinese Thai older generation (well, more like pure Chinese that live in Thailand). I have noticed such too, but also a fair amount from youths. As I was queuing for a BTS ticket one Thai guy in a hurry apparently didn't see me 6 inches away from the kiosk and put his notes in before mine. I was amazed by two things: the cashiers here NEVER pick up or act on a queuejumper. Also I was open-mouthed at this guy's gall who didn't even look around. I asked him why he did that and that next time wait his turn, and that his manners were bad. He understood, looked embarrassed and said sorry. Some posters on TV would have you believe that defacing a Thai ends up with a killing. I'm very much still alive, and I would expect the guy to be more observant of his surroundings (people) next time.

Thais don't hold doors open in general, but I make a point of it. I prefer to be polite in my own way, and if anyone in this country appreciates and copies it eventually, then great. If not...I'll continue to do it. The amazement and the preceding smile on many ladies' faces when you open a door for them makes it worth continuing.

Jumping the queue is only bad manners in the western world. In virtually all of Asia you cannot be rude to a stranger as they don’t exist for you. As far as Thai’s holding doors open, they do indeed do it, but it is based on status and age not gender as your western paradigm dictates. The amazement and smile you see on ladies faces when you hold the door for them is actually confusion and embarrassment that you are doing it.

Good or bad manners do not have basic standards the world over. They are purely a cultural thing and what can be extremely bad manners in one culture could be acceptable behavior in another.

TH

Thinking about it your post makes sense. I would say when I have observed Thais pushing in front of other Thais half of them show obvious signs of disapproval and half seem oblivious.

Opening the door usually gets a surprised "thank you", but rarely from the older generation (who maybe more confused about it, as you said). Those Thais who have familiarity with foreign manners seem the most appreciative obviously.

Hello Folks -

I am a new member but not new to Thailand. Always wanted to post but never got around to it.

I am married to a very nice lady from a upper middle class family whom recieved her MBA from the USA.

Just providing a little background about me and mine - I am a normal guy whom loves his wife, children,

family, and friends. I am very easy going and certainly have no intention of causing problems.

Splendid, splendid. Thank goodness you're not one of those wretched and hopeless people who are less stable, less educated, less upper middle class than you.

Having read this post it hails my biggest fear of Thailand - becoming a victim of an ignoramous.

I do not intend to boast but simply provide an example. I am extremely wealthy - not moderately -

I have several friends that are much, much wealthier than I. I cannot envision one of them requesting

a table on the dance floor at Spassos as this gentlemen has. In my mind this is an example of a very

small man with a BIG ego and no class. I raise the wealth issue because of comments of jealousy - I am

By 'much, much weathier than I,' do you mean extremely extremely extremely wealthy? Or simply extremely extremely wealthy? Perhaps you could clarify by providing some kind of chart or diagram?

The cases of small people getting away with murder quite frankly scares the hel_l of of me.

Thank you for informing me of this remarkable phenomenon. I had no idea that small people were more likely to get away with murder in Thailand. I shall certainly be confining myself to the company of tall people in the future (preferably upper middle class, normal people!) in the hope that I'm not killed to bits by a small person or an ignoramus, or - the nightmare scenario - ignoramus tinius.

your very mocking and very funny but i think you may have put him off posting here again.

can you provide a chart or diagram.......classic :o:D

Hardly! View it any way you like - use your imagination! The fact remains that there are many "powerful" people in Thailand that view themselves above the law and it certainly does this country no good! I love Thailand and the people but certainly NOT for the "ignoramus tinius" - and certainly it is not limited to Thai? Again - use your imagination.

Hello Folks -

your very mocking and very funny but i think you may have put him off posting here again.

can you provide a chart or diagram.......classic :o:D

Hardly! View it any way you like - use your imagination! The fact remains that there are many "powerful" people in Thailand that view themselves above the law and it certainly does this country no good! I love Thailand and the people but certainly NOT for the "ignoramus tinius" - and certainly it is not limited to Thai? Again - use your imagination.

HMMMMMMMMMMM...i was talking to mkasok when saying mocking and funny...i think you think i was talking(ok writng) about you....yes/no?....now im confused :D

but what you just wrote above i would agree on and not sure if mkasok can take the mick or the"mock" out of you for that.its not really what you write but more the way you put your point across,you certainly have a strange way.by the way may i ask how you became extremely wealthy...what line of work/business are/were you in or did you start off moderately wealthy and work your way up.i tried to use my imagination but its temporarily out of order....pickled i think.thankyou from a normal under lower working class expat. :D

• 3 weeks later...

This thread seems to have run out of steam but, if anyone is still dropping in, I recently heard another ponytail man story. I ran into some one who visits Bangkok frequently and likes to hang out in Spasso and told him about this thread. He claimed he was nearly killed there about three or four years ago by a short Thai man with a ponytail who sounded very similar to the man described in this thread (including the special tables on the dance floor and the red wine etc). He said he was dancing perhaps quite extravagantly after several drinks and having a good time when he got too close to Ponytail and may have perhaps into him accidentally. Suddenly Ponytail picked up a full bottle of wine or spirits and raised it to club my acquaintance on the head. Fortunately for him the crew cutted goon grabbed the bottle and calmed Ponytail down. He said the goon had an earpiece with a coiled wire and he believed he was part of the Hyatt's security team, not one of Ponytail's personal bodyguards.

"In virtually all of Asia you cannot be rude to a stranger as they don’t exist for you."

Baloney. Every country and culture despises "bad manners and rudeness", but your definition of "bad manners and rudeness" is probably different from what you are used to.

3) A sergeant in the crime suppression division who had won a national award for crime busting was shot dead at point blank range through the forehead at the disco of the Emerald Hotel in Ratchadpisek. The suspect was Duangchalerm (now plain Duang), son of the politician Chalerm Yoobamrung who was allowed to leave the scene of the crime and disappeared for 10 months before giving himself up.

Ostensible reason: his colleague had stepped on Duangchalerm's toe. The sergeant tried to intervene to break up a row between his colleague and the highly aggrieved owner of the injured toe.

Result: the suspect was acquitted. No one else was ever charged with the murder, although the defense arged that a man believed to be called Puen had slipped into the club, murdered the victim and slipped out again without being seen by anyone else.

Interesting features: Many. Find them in Google.

The murder took place in the former coyote bar called Club 20. At the time I had a membership there and when the place was shut down for a month the staff moved to other nightspots. I caught up with one of the bartenders about a week after the incident who told me she saw the whole thing go down- there was a big ruckus before the actual shooting so there were many witnesses, including her, who saw Duangchalerm shoot the police officer before handing the gun to one of his bodyguards and leaving.

Needless to say all charges were dropped because of lack of evidence.

Hi Crash, didn't that club used to be called Phuture, and it was next to the Chao Phraya Park hotel? I used to go there at that time.

I just can't imagine those boys suddenly stopping going out to any pub with their group. I have a feeling we haven't heard the last of them.

An incident occurs that happens to involve a Thai and the question is then asked whether all Thais are like this - with the predictable gamut of responses. If there were a Eurovisa site and a visiting Thai posted this, what would you people think? Unbelievable.

reading through this thread I think ones got to go and live for

awhile in Amsterdam , my native residence , I can tell you that

you will be freaked out what kind of freaks , Mafia types with

bodyguards , Yugo's , Russians, Algerians , Chinese and most Hells Angels.

Also ethnic groups on the streets like Moroccans are terrorising the city .

Oh man Bangkok is just so peaceful .

"In virtually all of Asia you cannot be rude to a stranger as they don’t exist for you."

Baloney. Every country and culture despises "bad manners and rudeness", but your definition of "bad manners and rudeness" is probably different from what you are used to.

That of course is the danger in quoting out of context. My point was exaclty the same as yours.

TH