Trouble On The Dancefloor At Spasso

Journalist

The look on the ponytailed ones face when he realised who the Thai 'girl' was.

There's always a bigger fish......

Regards

I unfortunately have to go drinking with some of the so called mafia of a new EU country and my view is they are just pussy bullies who need to get their friends to do the fighting for them, one on one the majority are f all.

Anyone who gets friends to fight there battles is a fool.

:o

I grew up in this sort of culture. And guess what, we get fools to fight, usually.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Those guys who stand up in a strong wind usually get blown down.'

Who said that, Nelson Mandela? Winston Churchill? George Washington?

I'm getting a strong message here, that to live in Thailand, as a foreign man, you have to to become a limp lettuce, check in your nuts at immigration. Back down on every confrontation....and basically, there's no trench in which you can fight.

Thats a difficult paradigm for a man to accept. No wonder farangs sometimes get frustrated with having to act out like that..

Are farangs coming here to thailand to actually fight battles?

Where are all these confrontations? If you see a tsunami coming do you stand still there and say I am not going to become a limp lettuce! :o

If it does come to a point where confrontations with thais is inevitable in thailand. I will just stop going there.

I still don't know who the pony tail creep is

If you don,t know him , how can you call him a creep ? , there are 2 sides to every story , here we are only hearing one side , maybe the other side is that the person making the trouble is the drunk foreign guy acting like a clown, and i have seen plenty of them , the person in this forum we are talking about at Spasso is a friend of mine and does his best to avoid trouble , hence the bodyguard who by the way is only about 5 foot 6 inches and a very quite person and does his job and looks after the welfare of his employer,

What he does for a living is not important , but he does not go out to make trouble , does not get drunk , only dances with his wife and likes expensive red wine and dom, a very good customer for any nightclub compared to a lout drinking cheap beer all night and thinking every thai girl is a hooker and making a pass.

Back to my point , If you don,t know him ,why call him names and make up stories ,maybe some people out ther are jealous they cant afford , nice sports cars, expensive wines and the best seats in the house

Edited by ray08

What he does for a living is not important
I would have to disagree.

A low class mafia scumbag usually behaves as such.

a lout drinking cheap beer all night and thinking every thai girl is a hooker and making a pass.
And that generalization of westerners just shows your bias.

'Those guys who stand up in a strong wind usually get blown down.'

Who said that, Nelson Mandela? Winston Churchill? George Washington?

I'm getting a strong message here, that to live in Thailand, as a foreign man, you have to to become a limp lettuce, check in your nuts at immigration. Back down on every confrontation....and basically, there's no trench in which you can fight.

Thats a difficult paradigm for a man to accept. No wonder farangs sometimes get frustrated with having to act out like that..

Just think how hard it is to be a Thai. They have been raised in this culture and it can be really stressful making sure you don't screw up. :o

TH

If you don,t know him , how can you call him a creep ? , there are 2 sides to every story , here we are only hearing one side , maybe the other side is that the person making the trouble is the drunk foreign guy acting like a clown, and i have seen plenty of them , the person in this forum we are talking about at Spasso is a friend of mine and does his best to avoid trouble , hence the bodyguard who by the way is only about 5 foot 6 inches and a very quite person and does his job and looks after the welfare of his employer,

What he does for a living is not important , but he does not go out to make trouble , does not get drunk , only dances with his wife and likes expensive red wine and dom, a very good customer for any nightclub compared to a lout drinking cheap beer all night and thinking every thai girl is a hooker and making a pass.

Back to my point , If you don,t know him ,why call him names and make up stories ,maybe some people out ther are jealous they cant afford , nice sports cars, expensive wines and the best seats in the house

I don't care who your friend is or what he does for a living. I called him a creep because of his obnoxious behavior in making the atmosphere of Spasso's unpleasant for other customers, so he can feel like a big shot. Having already reduced the available space for dancing because he must have his tables on the dance floor, he has his goon intimidate people who innocently dance too close for his liking to any one in his party. Because he has his protector there he feels quite free to rudely barge in between people who are dancing without apologizing but when he finds he has pissed off some one who can pull rank on him, he gets scared and grovels. Moreover, from the fawning behavior of the Grand Hyatt security staff, there is a very high degree of probability that they let members of his party bring guns into the disco, raising the possibility of yet another night club shooting over a stepped on toe with the sickeningly predictable lack of justice for the victim later. Fortunately there are plenty of other places to spend one's money in town other than the Grand Hyatt's tawdry foray into the world of pimping. You and your friend are not likely to see me there again.

You haven't spent a lot of time here have you!

and neither have you?

Westerners have a sense of manners and priority, Asians, Thai's do not. When some one barges in between two people it really doesn't mean much at all.

99.99% of Thai's will do anything to avoid walking between two people talking to each other, and when there is no way to avoid doing so, will stoop low so as to avoid getting in their faces. Manners are everything.

The OP came across a goon and idiot pure and simple.

Manners like blocking your way completely, where you have absolutely no choice but to walk in between them, or blocking the road with their vehicle cause they need to do some shopping. Lets not bullshit folks too much, OK.

I don't care who your friend is or what he does for a living. I called him a creep because of his obnoxious behavior in making the atmosphere of Spasso's unpleasant for other customers, so he can feel like a big shot. Having already reduced the available space for dancing because he must have his tables on the dance floor, he has his goon intimidate people who innocently dance too close for his liking to any one in his party. Because he has his protector there he feels quite free to rudely barge in between people who are dancing without apologizing but when he finds he has pissed off some one who can pull rank on him, he gets scared and grovels. Moreover, from the fawning behavior of the Grand Hyatt security staff, there is a very high degree of probability that they let members of his party bring guns into the disco, raising the possibility of yet another night club shooting over a stepped on toe with the sickeningly predictable lack of justice for the victim later. Fortunately there are plenty of other places to spend one's money in town other than the Grand Hyatt's tawdry foray into the world of pimping. You and your friend are not likely to see me there again.

How can a 5'6" midget intimidate anyone? :D

Wouldn't 'hobbit' be a better description than 'goon'? :o

How can a 5'6" midget intimidate anyone? :D

Wouldn't 'hobbit' be a better description than 'goon'? :o

Chalerm's sons don't look very tall either but with the advantage of surprise, guns and the attitude that they can get away with anything, they can still be lethal. I don't think the height of the goon, who was probably armed, was very relevant to the guy who was being strangled from behind, nor is it relevant to this discussion.

Firstly, I've only ever seen the guy with two large very obvious bodyguards suited up. Secondly, I've seen the guy purposefully piss people off on the dancefloor as if he thinks he's way above them. For the poster who considers him a "friend" of this chap, can I ask why? The only farangs I've seen with him make a point to come over and wai as if they want to feel part of his important group.

Money and status regardless, there are nicer people to want to befriend out there.

I saw a fracas at Spasso on Halloween night 2007.

Some German guys were fighting with an Australian guy over an Australian girl that was dancing.

The security never stepped in until it was over.

My brother's wife won the best costume award that night :o , she got a free bottle of champagne and some cool crystal glasses as a prize.

Some German guys were fighting with an Australian guy over an Australian girl that was dancing.

My brother's wife won the best costume award that night :D , she got a free bottle of champagne and some cool crystal glasses as a prize.

security in thailand are great arent they,they probably didnt want to get there coshes covered in blood!!!

who won anyway...as you said germans(plural) and australian(single)!!!!!.....with plenty of lovely thai ladies its strange they should be fighting over an aussie...anyway im getting off topic but so was you a bit :o

Now we have one poster saying he knows this pony-tail guy and he tries to stay out of trouble and one saying he is a bully.

Which is it? Someone lying here?

Good point , maybe lying is too strong a word , could be some is misinterpreting what they see .

Anyway in this forum so far only one person has spoken about a little bit of push and shove with his bodyguard , am i correct ?

in any case no one is saying he is belting guys up every time he goes out

When you are out with the misses , why have a bodyguard to go out and bully people , the idea is to avoid trouble not provoke ,

also in Forum someone says he has 2 large Bodyguards , only one ,the rest are Hyatt Staff .

And really , why all the fuss , surely in other countries especially UK ,VIP customers are given special treatment , try to enter some place in London , unless they know you , impossible , so what is wrong with a bit of Vip treatment to a high spending customer , surely we would all expect the same .

And if people don,t like what they see at Spasso, plenty more place to go , CM2 , bed club , tunnel , Conrad , they will all take your money , :o

Hello Folks -

I am a new member but not new to Thailand. Always wanted to post but never got around to it.

I am married to a very nice lady from a upper middle class family whom recieved her MBA from the USA.

Just providing a little background about me and mine - I am a normal guy whom loves his wife, children,

family, and friends. I am very easy going and certainly have no intention of causing problems.

Having read this post it hails my biggest fear of Thailand - becoming a victim of an ignoramous.

I do not intend to boast but simply provide an example. I am extremely wealthy - not moderately -

I have several friends that are much, much wealthier than I. I cannot envision one of them requesting

a table on the dance floor at Spassos as this gentlemen has. In my mind this is an example of a very

small man with a BIG ego and no class. I raise the wealth issue because of comments of jealousy - I am

not jealous of anybody and I strongly believe most people are not.

The cases of small people getting away with murder quite frankly scares the hel_l of of me.

I will keep visiting Thailand as I have regularly for years but with every story or headline I read I become

ever more careful.

It is very unfortunate that a few individuals can place such a black mark on a beautiful country and people

as is Thailand. When will the people with power really start caring about the welfare and image of Thailand.

I hope I did not offend anybody.

Best Regards,

CPG

Hello Folks -

I am a new member but not new to Thailand. Always wanted to post but never got around to it.

I am married to a very nice lady from a upper middle class family whom recieved her MBA from the USA.

Just providing a little background about me and mine - I am a normal guy whom loves his wife, children,

family, and friends. I am very easy going and certainly have no intention of causing problems.

Having read this post it hails my biggest fear of Thailand - becoming a victim of an ignoramous.

I do not intend to boast but simply provide an example. I am extremely wealthy - not moderately -

I have several friends that are much, much wealthier than I. I cannot envision one of them requesting

a table on the dance floor at Spassos as this gentlemen has. In my mind this is an example of a very

small man with a BIG ego and no class. I raise the wealth issue because of comments of jealousy - I am

The cases of small people getting away with murder quite frankly scares the hel_l of of me.

I will keep visiting Thailand as I have regularly for years but with every story or headline I read I become

ever more careful.

It is very unfortunate that a few individuals can place such a black mark on a beautiful country and people

as is Thailand. When will the people with power really start caring about the welfare and image of Thailand.

Best Regards,

CPG

Spasso and many other places of this ilk in Bangkok are magnets for people who are "all show and no dough".

Hello Folks -

ever more careful.

Best Regards,

CPG

didnt offend me but if you want to share your wealth then im available :o

to be honest the rich farangs that show off there money in thailand tend to attract the attention of the wrong sort......mainly the bent coppers who want to get there hands on it....the quiet rich farangs tend to have no problems at all. i think you will be ok :D

Spasso was and as far as I know is, a freelancers pick-up joint, with all the associated class. I was invited by a Thai female friend one evening, many moons ago, and there was a group sat as described looking for all the world like an outing from manic depressives R us. Oddly enough a dodgy suited fool thought that the falang + Thai 'girl' was dancing too close and given this combination were suitable for him to flex his musculature to clear space around them. The look on the ponytailed ones face when he realised who the Thai 'girl' was, as MasterCard states priceless, and the subsequent effusive apologies and bottle of vintage champagne were welcome.

If memory servers this was around Conrad's opening, so maybe a move was deemed politic.

Regards

So who was the girl then? Don't leave us in suspense.

Yeah, who was the girl? :o

RAZZ

Spasso was and as far as I know is, a freelancers pick-up joint, with all the associated class. I was invited by a Thai female friend one evening, many moons ago, and there was a group sat as described looking for all the world like an outing from manic depressives R us. Oddly enough a dodgy suited fool thought that the falang + Thai 'girl' was dancing too close and given this combination were suitable for him to flex his musculature to clear space around them. The look on the ponytailed ones face when he realised who the Thai 'girl' was, as MasterCard states priceless, and the subsequent effusive apologies and bottle of vintage champagne were welcome.

If memory servers this was around Conrad's opening, so maybe a move was deemed politic.

Regards

So who was the girl then? Don't leave us in suspense.

Yeah, who was the girl? :o

RAZZ

My guess is Jaruvan Maintaka.................. hahahha555555

Hello Folks -

ever more careful.

Best Regards,

CPG

to be honest the rich farangs that show off there money in thailand tend to attract the attention of the wrong sort......mainly the bent coppers who want to get there hands on it....the quiet rich farangs tend to have no problems at all. i think you will be ok :D

the wealthiest non-thais I have known in LOS over the years tend to be the quiet unassuming guy(young or old) having a pint and doing the crossword puzzle in the corner of the pub.

the poorest non-thais I have known in LOS over the years tend to be the loud mouth, rude, obnoxious jerk,whose conversation is limited to themselves, their pie in the sky stories of grandeur and petty games of one-up-manship.They are invariably also up to their eyes in credit card debt so as to maintain the fake facade of financial success.

I have several friends that are much, much wealthier than I.

I'm a bit short this month...any chance of a sub? :D

RAZZ

Can I add my wish here too :o

Please Sir ,

Would you kindly consider taking a mia noi in the future (the farther the better :D )?? I wish to know how to be a extremely wealthy widowed mia noi :D

My brother's wife won the best costume award that night :D , she got a free bottle of champagne and some cool crystal glasses as a prize.

Are you sure she was not Russian gal,many of them are there too :D ? I think you should have checked well the gal's manufacturing original country tag or label that usually shows : (Made in ........) :o

Hello Folks -

ever more careful.

Best Regards,

CPG

the wealthiest non-thais I have known in LOS over the years tend to be the quiet unassuming guy(young or old) having a pint and doing the crossword puzzle in the corner of the pub.

the poorest non-thais I have known in LOS over the years tend to be the loud mouth, rude, obnoxious jerk,whose conversation is limited to themselves, their pie in the sky stories of grandeur and petty games of one-up-manship.They are invariably also up to their eyes in credit card debt so as to maintain the fake facade of financial success.

In general - I completely agree. Most people just want to left alone to enjoy the atmosphere and enjoy the one's their with. I know only a few very wealthy Thais and they are great, humble people whom I really enjoy being around. I am sure if they were any different I would NOT have them as company.

The thing that gets me is that people are surprised that manners and politeness are somehow expected to be found in nightclubs near closing time = chances are someone got drunk and that someone started to grab or push a girl on the dance floor and therefore encountered the wrath of the management. This is not unique to Asia, so get over it.

As for the elevator comments, this one I agree with, it seems really odd to me that Thais (Asians in general) feel the need to a) rush the lift before it takes off with nobody on it and :o realize that the up arrow means up and the down arrow means going down. BTW this is not unique to Thailand. Even the so called hi tech Japanese and Taiwanese suffer from this phenomenom. They can build em but they don't know how to use em.

As for 711, this one used to drive me crazy, you stand in line and some highly educated Thai with an orange vest on(kidding) thinks its his right to jump in front of everyone. I used to get quite cross with this but figured that there is no chance in hel_l I can educate the uneducatable so I let them jump in. What you may try to do once is awhile is hold a door open for someone in Bangkok and see how they react. Most are quite surprised that you didnt slam it shut in their face as you walked through.

I seem to once remember hearing a story about a small fight breaking out in a British nightclub. What does this tell us about Western culture?

Hello Folks -

Splendid, splendid. Thank goodness you're not one of those wretched and hopeless people who are less stable, less educated, less upper middle class than you.

There is no greater danger in Thailand than the ignoramus. I too live my entire life in fear of being menaced by such a creature. I also fear the hooligan. Both these fears, however, are eclipsed by my greatest fear: that of encountering a ruffian.

By 'much, much weathier than I,' do you mean extremely extremely extremely wealthy? Or simply extremely extremely wealthy? Perhaps you could clarify by providing some kind of chart or diagram?

Thank you for informing me of this remarkable phenomenon. I had no idea that small people were more likely to get away with murder in Thailand. I shall certainly be confining myself to the company of tall people in the future (preferably upper middle class, normal people!) in the hope that I'm not killed to bits by a small person or an ignoramus, or - the nightmare scenario - ignoramus tinius.

Hello Folks -

Splendid, splendid. Thank goodness you're not one of those wretched and hopeless people who are less stable, less educated, less upper middle class than you.

There is no greater danger in Thailand than the ignoramus. I too live my entire life in fear of being menaced by such a creature. I also fear the hooligan. Both these fears, however, are eclipsed by my greatest fear: that of encountering a ruffian.

By 'much, much weathier than I,' do you mean extremely extremely extremely wealthy? Or simply extremely extremely wealthy? Perhaps you could clarify by providing some kind of chart or diagram?

Thank you for informing me of this remarkable phenomenon. I had no idea that small people were more likely to get away with murder in Thailand. I shall certainly be confining myself to the company of tall people in the future (preferably upper middle class, normal people!) in the hope that I'm not killed to bits by a small person or an ignoramus, or - the nightmare scenario - ignoramus tinius.

your very mocking and very funny but i think you may have put him off posting here again.

can you provide a chart or diagram.......classic :o:D

You haven't spent a lot of time here have you!

and neither have you?

Westerners have a sense of manners and priority, Asians, Thai's do not. When some one barges in between two people it really doesn't mean much at all.

99.99% of Thai's will do anything to avoid walking between two people talking to each other, and when there is no way to avoid doing so, will stoop low so as to avoid getting in their faces. Manners are everything.

The OP came across a goon and idiot pure and simple.

Samran I've not been here very long as a full time resident, just six years but I've lived in the region for the past twenty years and I have been a frequent visitor during that period. I give you all of that since you raised a question.

As far as your 99.99% figure is concerned: sadly my experience, during my time in Thailand (and other parts of Asia) is concerned, shows that number to be hugely incorrect. Certainly in many business environments it is true but in social gatherings, formal and otherwise, that is not the case. Walk down any street in any area of any town or city and see what happens when two people are walking together and are faced with oncoming pedestrian traffic, I think we both understand that as does everyone else. I don't mean to suggest that Thai's (or Asians in general) are bad mannered or disrespectful it's just the way the culture is in this region. The need to be first, the need to not give way is massively evident as a pedestrian, as a motorist, as a shop customer waiting for service in a queue, as a passenger boarding a plane and everywhere else you care to think of.

Chiang Mai is right. Thais are certainly very polite in certain situations, but there are many others that they are totally clueless. IMO, to polite Westerners, manners are taking into consideration the feelings of other people and figuring out how to apply that concept to different situations. To most Thais, manners seem to be taking certain actions at certain times and they don't seem to think beyond that.

In my opinion. :o