Nintendo Ds Or Sony Psp?

bonsaimax

Not too familiar myself with these 2. According to MBK prices, the PSP is 7K baht, and the DS is 5K baht. Which of these 2 would you recommend for a 10-year old? Is the PSP's being more expensive worth it? Are games readily available?...and for how much?

Thanks!

10? Boy or girl? The psp is better due to the many many things it can do (look at pics, browse internet, play music, play video, play games obviously, use homebrew programs to do things like look at text files, emulate a pda, read comics)... but not sure if a 10 year old would appreciate all that. Also the DS has more kiddie games... however a 10 year old BOY might very well be more into the psp with its huge selction of violent games heh, if that doesnt bother you. Im pretty sure there are alot more psp games than ds, I have over 200 psp games and I dont have them all. Also its very easy to get psp games and the psp you buy at mbk will already be able to play copied games.... not too sure about the ds but I know they can play copy games too... I think!

Damian

Nintendo DS is a better buy. Plays copied games, and Gameboy Games. Buy the R4 unit and it will also play music and hold photos and movies. Nintendo DS covers a variety of games unlike the PSP. I am glad the DS has "kiddie" games because games like Mario, Sonic and Zelda never disappoint. The DS is cool looking and folds up so the screens are protected. The PSP is bulky. Lastly, the DS outsells the PSP easily worldwide so that should say something about its quality.

Turok

The psp is great. It will run gameboy / gbadvance / some n64 games anyway, as well as the whole back catalogue of ps1 titles games (I think there is some variety there to be found). And the games / movies look great on the large screen (for a handheld system).

I've just started using it to remotely view stuff on my ps3 using the wifi at work. Another great feature. So theoretically you can be anywhere in the world, and turn on your ps3 at home, view a HD movie from your ps3 on your little psp.

The ds outsells the psp, because it's more accesible (even my Mum has one), but the psp is doing pretty well now anyway. Even for a Ten year old, I would still recommend it, cause he can easily learn what it has to offer.

Boy or girl?

It's for a boy.

Im pretty sure there are alot more psp games than ds, I have over 200 psp games and I dont have them all. Also its very easy to get psp games and the psp you buy at mbk will already be able to play copied games

How much would the PSP games cost at MBK?

Also can anyone comment first hand about battery life and charging time? I've heard conflicting comments.

Thanks all for your replies!

What can the Nintendo DS do? It can browse the net. It can play wirelessly/online. It can act like a skype phone. It can play homebrew. It can play videos. It can view pics. Yes, pretty much everything the PSP can.

The Nintendo DS's audience is much broader than the PSP. The PSP is aimed squarely at the teen-middle age group, mainly boys. The DS is aimed at the 0-100 group, since it appeals to everyone. It's library currently includes around 1000+ games, and it can play gameboy advance games too. It's sold 20 million units in Japan *alone*, and normally beats the PSP in sales by a wide margin (and is actually the best selling gaming console in the world). The input device, a touchscreen, is much more intuitive than other types of input, and many can pick up a game and play it immediately. The games are fairly small (16-128MB), and so you can fit many more games on the miniSD used in the R4 devices. The PSP uses memory sticks, which pretty much only Sony uses, and are therefore expensive, and the games are normally in the hundreds of megs each. The DS has two screens, but the PSP has a single screen with higher resolution. The DS does not need to be modded in any way to use copied games, but requires a R4 (or similar) device, while the PSP needs to be flashed, but can use games directly from the memory stick.

Battery life on the DS is arond 7-10 hours, depending on how you set the brightness of the display and the volume, and charging take a couple hours. The new slim PSP has a smaller battery than before, so that may be the reason you're hearing conflicting reports.

The DS with a R4 device and 2GB of memory (good for around 50 games) runs around 7,000 baht. The PSP, with 4GB of memory (good for around 20-30 games) costs around 8,300.

Chances are, a *boy* that age will prefer a PSP, because of all the violent games, but then again, I know of a lot of boys that age who love the DS. The thing about the PSP is that a lot of it's popular titles are mature games that a 10 year old boy won't be able to grasp.

Here is a comment from my 13yo son who has both PSP and N-DS:

If your son has a basic experience with a PC then go for the PSP because it is great for web surfing (if you have WiFi at home) and online playing and lots of games are available in BKK (if the PSP firmware has been downgraded at MBK).

If this is the first game thing for your son a N-DS would be better (no learning curve and more 'kiddie games' available.

opalhort

Boy or girl?

It's for a boy.

Im pretty sure there are alot more psp games than ds, I have over 200 psp games and I dont have them all. Also its very easy to get psp games and the psp you buy at mbk will already be able to play copied games

How much would the PSP games cost at MBK?

Also can anyone comment first hand about battery life and charging time? I've heard conflicting comments.

Thanks all for your replies!

PSP games are about 70 baht each if you find the right place (some might charge more especially if they think youre a tourist), keep in mind we are all talking about copy games. Battery life.... good question, I never paid attention .....

Someone mentioned the games are smaller on the ds, thats because they are simpler but that doesnt mean they arent fun. The high graphic quality and intricacy of psp games is what makes it popular with a more serious gamer. If you add in all the playstation 1 games, psp games, other console games like Gameboy advance, super nintendo, sega etc that the PSP CAN play you get THOUSANDS of games heh. And who wants to watch movies on a tiny ds screen? Large wide psp screen for me! This is totally not as important but they continue to upgrade the psp firmware to add more functionality to the psp all the time, like higher res videos, ability to choose your own custom theme, adding internet functions.

Damian

I think they are both great choices, I have the DS and I love it. I got the R4 Revolution chip (2000B with 1gb sd card) that allows you to use a micro sd card to play copied games. It is very easy to do (easier than running roms on the psp)

The new psp out is the PSP slim, though most people want the original PSP because their firmware allows for more modding/hacking.

If he speaks English the DS has more complicated instructions and riddles (playing Zelda you have to blow into the mike, close the lid and many other odd things to solve puzzles) The sinple button smashing of the PSP would be the better bet.

However, if I was 10 I would be happy with either :o

Fellas:

Never played the PSP so my opinion is biased. As a fanboy of Nintendo it was a no brainer decision on which console to buy.

Anyways, the R4 is a great piece of hard/ software. Can anybody recommend a website that has the DS games for download? I have a few but the are not so comprehensive. Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

A month away before Super Smash Bros Brawl hits the Wii. This is going to be awesome. Link from Twighlight Princess looks baaaadddd! But, I always cleaned up with Pikachu. Looking forward to this Wii game.

Turok

Fellas:

Never played the PSP so my opinion is biased. As a fanboy of Nintendo it was a no brainer decision on which console to buy.

Anyways, the R4 is a great piece of hard/ software. Can anybody recommend a website that has the DS games for download? I have a few but the are not so comprehensive. Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

A month away before Super Smash Bros Brawl hits the Wii. This is going to be awesome. Link from Twighlight Princess looks baaaadddd! But, I always cleaned up with Pikachu. Looking forward to this Wii game.

Turok

I like nintendo too and grew up playing its various consoles, I just dont hold any allegiance to any particular product name. What exactly is the r4? A seperate piece of hardware you attach to the ds? Blackcats is the best game download site, but good luck getting a membership....... its free but they dont let people in all the time and once youre in its easy to get booted out if you dont upload enough.

Damian

Blackcats is the best game download site, but good luck getting a membership....... its free but they dont let people in all the time and once youre in its easy to get booted out if you dont upload enough.

v3.newzbin.com (set your viewing to 100 days as this is the retention on usenetserver.com)

www.usenetserver.com

www.newsleecher.com

The combination of the above. Is the best way to get EVERYTHING that u ever need and with 10 connections setup to usenetserver in newsleecher u will max out any connection 240kb/sec download on my 2mb tot adsl all the time. Of course its not free but you are paying for quality here. Everything originates on usenet then eventually finds it way onto to torrents etc.

Its where the shops in MBK get there games/software/movies to sell. No need to wait on torrent speeds etc. only limitation is your connection speed. For example I am in Japan just now and downloading at 1.5mb/sec :o wish we could get that in BKK.

Edited by dekka007