Korean Grocery In Chiang Mai

Artey

Anyone know of any Korean grocery shops in Chiang mai? or any place where i can buy the special seasonings to make Kimchi?

Which ingredients can't you find? All that is needed for kimchee is the vegetable (nappa cabbage, daikon radish, etc.,) cut up, salt, fresh ginger, garlic, scallions (spring onions) a touch of sugar, and medium hot red pepper. Cayenne will work fine. Some folks like to add a dash of rice vinegar or soy sauce, but most that I had in Korea didn't have either of these.

Here is a quick and easy recipe;

3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon pickling salt 6 cups water

2 lbs. Chinese (Napa) cabbage, cut into 2-inch squares

3-6 cloves garlic

5-6 scallions, minced

1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh (not powdered) ginger

2 tablespoons ground dried hot red pepper

1 teaspoon sugar

1. Dissolve the 3 tablespoons salt in the water. Put the cabbage into a large bowl, a crock, or a nonreactive pot, and pour the brine over it. Weight the cabbage down with a plate. Let the cabbage stand for 12 hours.

2. Drain the cabbage, reserving the brine. Mix the cabbage with the remaining ingredients, including the 1 teaspoon salt. Pack the mixture into a 2-quart jar. Pour enough of the reserved brine over the cabbage to cover it. Push a freezer bag into the mouth of the jar, and pour the remaining brine into the bag. Seal the bag. Let the kimchi ferment in a cool place, at a temperature no higher than 68° F, for 3 to 6 days,until the kimchi is as sour as you like.

3. Remove the brine bag, and cap the jar tightly. Store the kimchi in the refrigerator, where it will keep for months.

Goooodddd stuffffff!!! Stinks bad...... tastes great!

True - No special ingredients required as Folk Guitar says. I like to use a mix of vegetables including the above and carrots, beans, red cabbage, cucumbers, apples, guava, green bananas and mangoes etc. Makes it more interesting and a delicious base for a soup.

Having writ the above. The Japanese shop and wholesaler "Station" in Chiang Mai Land sells a Kimchi additive that contains some of the microbiologicals that make the best Kimchi.

True - No special ingredients required as Folk Guitar says. I like to use a mix of vegetables including the above and carrots, beans, red cabbage, cucumbers, apples, guava, green bananas and mangoes etc. Makes it more interesting and a delicious base for a soup.

Having writ the above. The Japanese shop and wholesaler "Station" in Chiang Mai Land sells a Kimchi additive that contains some of the microbiologicals that make the best Kimchi.

Before I left Japan to move to Chiang Mai, some major Korean organization (can't remember if it was governmental or union-ish) was trying to force Japan into changing the name of the stuff Japan was making and marketing as kimchee because they were using either acetic or citric acid (can't remember which) to create the tang of the dish instead of letting it ferment naturally. Acetic acid (vinegar) is used by many western chefs to make a quick kimchee, but the taste can't compare, in my opinion, with the naturally fermented stuff.