Rawai Beach - Getting Around Phuket

intrepidtraveller

Hi,

Been offered a good deal to stay in a resort in rawai beach for 8 days. However, I know this isnt in a "busy" part of town. I would obviously like to explore Phuket ie. Kata, Karon, Surin, Kamala etc. But dont fancy renting a car and never riden a bike before. Do songtheaws (sic) go along these route and how much should it cost roughly from Rawai to Karon? Wot about a taxi after hours.......? Also, I heard the beach isnt that great at Rawai (but the resort is meant to be very nice).....will be there last week of April 1st week of May am I correct in assuming the weather is still hot hot hot at that time and will only get a little rain?????

Many thanks,

Hi,

Been offered a good deal to stay in a resort in rawai beach for 8 days. However, I know this isnt in a "busy" part of town. I would obviously like to explore Phuket ie. Kata, Karon, Surin, Kamala etc. But dont fancy renting a car and never riden a bike before. Do songtheaws (sic) go along these route and how much should it cost roughly from Rawai to Karon? Wot about a taxi after hours.......? Also, I heard the beach isnt that great at Rawai (but the resort is meant to be very nice).....will be there last week of April 1st week of May am I correct in assuming the weather is still hot hot hot at that time and will only get a little rain?????

Many thanks,

I thought the beach at Rawai was just fine. Yes it will be hot in April, its about 30c all year round there. It might rain, as April is close to the start of the low (rainy) season. Taxi's all hours dont worry. If you have never ridden a motorbike I would say dont start in LOS ! A car yes but be careful. Remember any accident wil be your fault ! Thats the default position. You are a farang and can afford to be in the wrong, unlike a local.

Best of all use public buses. They set out from each town all over the island most days. Out of hours use the tuk-tuk (taxi).

Dont forget to visit Wat Chalong and Phuket aquarium, both nearby. Dont bother with the gibbon sanctuary, its a long trip to see very little. Enjoy your holiday !

or Karon. Even though Patong is my stomping ground, I try to spend beach time in Karon. (as has been noted on other threads the beach doesn't have much shade) but wow what a beach if you like quiet and a nice long stretch of squeaky sand.

Added bonus is that the topless falangs aren't as scary when you see them walking towards you as in Patong, where if you are hung over and the sun's in your eyes, you think someone has some potatoes in a sack looking to kosh you one. :o

or Karon. Even though Patong is my stomping ground, I try to spend beach time in Karon. (as has been noted on other threads the beach doesn't have much shade) but wow what a beach if you like quiet and a nice long stretch of squeaky sand.

Added bonus is that the topless falangs aren't as scary when you see them walking towards you as in Patong, where if you are hung over and the sun's in your eyes, you think someone has some potatoes in a sack looking to kosh you one. :o

I agree with the posters pointing you towards Karon.

Much nicer beach, you have transportation at your doorstep, nearer to the things you describe you want to see.

Look into: The Woraburi, The Karon Princess, The Karonburi, Phuket Island View,The Old Phuket Hotel, all pretty much right across the street from the beach.

Rawai Beach is nice and quiet. You have boat rentals to go out to local islands, nice seafood restaurants but not really a tourist zone.

I agree with the posters pointing you towards Karon.

Much nicer beach, you have transportation at your doorstep, nearer to the things you describe you want to see.

Look into: The Woraburi, The Karon Princess, The Karonburi, Phuket Island View,The Old Phuket Hotel, all pretty much right across the street from the beach.

Rawai Beach is nice and quiet. You have boat rentals to go out to local islands, nice seafood restaurants but not really a tourist zone.

the restaurants down by the beach are really nice and "cheap"

The last time I had to use a tuk tukfrom karon to patong I think it cost me 200B. I have used a motorbike taxi for 100B. However, usually I use my friends and that costs me a coke. Tossed the transit costs in to give an idea. Obviously others will pay more or less, but it's a rough idea at least.

Stay in Rawai, not a wunnaful beach, nice quiet place, fun bars.

Good eating, whether at nite market, I love it there, or many bars and restaurants, speshully on beach.

Use the local bus to Chalong Circle, from there buses go everywhere except Patong. Only 20 Baht - 25 Baht a ride.

Phuket Tuk Tuks, unless ya rolling in Baht, forget them.

Naiharn great lil beach.

Kata my fave for swimming and not bad for eats, Karon OK too.

No bus to Patong.......... getting like Pattaya, rip off, give it a miss.

I hire a bike, ridden one for yonks, 60 years......LOL

Love taking on tour buses and trucks. hehehe.

Most drivers are quite considerate, bikers are own worst enemies.

Geeeeez, neva ride a bike in Auck, Syds, Melbs... sheeeesh.

Edited by Zpete