Win Xp Language Change

Crossy

Not the usual language question :D

I have in front of me a laptop, this machine has a FRENCH Win XP installed. Obviously all the menus and help etc. are in French. I need to configure it for an external US keyboard, MS Word already uses the US dictionary (I'm a Brit. but the project want US English :o ).

It would be nice to convert this machine fully to English, is there an easy way preferably without reformatting the whole darn thing (which I'll do if I have to). I have the Microsoft MUI disk, unfortunately this concentrates on changing International English windows to other languages and won't do anything useful on this box :D

Bright ideas anyone??

Cheers

Edited by Crossy

Unfortunately if the OS is in French then its a complete format then re-install but you have to make sure you have an english disk, if you can handle the OS being in french then change keyboard layout go control panel>regional language icon then keyboard and change to US..

Hope this helps

Unfortunately if the OS is in French then its a complete format then re-install but you have to make sure you have an english disk, if you can handle the OS being in french then change keyboard layout go control panel>regional language icon then keyboard and change to US..

Cheers, I thought this might be the case :o I've got the keyboard working and Word works in English spelling (menus in French).

I was just trying to avoid a re-format with all its driver issues (Toshiba laptop) :D

Hope this helps

WRONG!!

You need to use an MUI Pack and install english as additional Language to the exsiting one. Ther is NOT any need for reformat and installing of the OS!

PM me if you need the MUI CD!

Cheers.

WRONG!!

You need to use an MUI Pack and install english as additional Language to the exsiting one. Ther is NOT any need for reformat and installing of the OS!

Cheers.

Correct me if im wrong but isnt the Multilingual User Interface pack an add on to the ENGLISH version of Xp and as he already has the french version installed will not work....

WRONG!!

Cheers.

Hey Reimar..seem's as though you branded me in capitals Wrong then i will look forward to the big capitals RIGHT and a apology tommorow when i come into work..

thanks

WRONG!!

Cheers.

Hey Reimar..seem's as though you branded me in capitals Wrong then i will look forward to the big capitals RIGHT and a apology tommorow when i come into work..

thanks

You get my apology now!

As I'm own all of the MUI packs (from Win 200 until XP and Vista) I even was thinking there should be english as well but unfortunate it isn't. So, I apologize to "branded" you RED!

By the way I would even apologize if you didn't "remind" me at this way because I'm a very imperfect Human and I like to be so!

Hopefully you would apologize on the same way as I did at the time you write something wrong!

Cheers.

bkkperson:

Just realize that you're the same person which has wrote:

"" Is there any need to post about new virus's??? According to symantec http://www.symantec.com/security_response/...-99&tabid=2 this virus has a risk rate of 'very low' it doesnt disable the folder, task manager and registry editor..this is just going to scare some people..""

Just for to clarify, the other answers to that post telling clearly that I'm on ther right way wit that post. I also do believe that you need to cross check before you answer on that way!

But I'm a bit different and I do NOT want an Apology from you that you was try to proof my post wrong.

Cheers.

Edited by Reimar

I have in front of me a laptop, this machine has a FRENCH Win XP installed. Obviously all the menus and help etc. are in French. Bright ideas anyone??

what's wrong with french Crossy? :D

It's all Greek to me :o

The MUI pack is handy but unfortunately needs an initial English installation.

Worked wonderfully to allow me to set up my PC so it runs in Thai when the Missus logs on. Tested the switch to Thai, ah now how do I switch it back!!!!! Sorted, but caused a minor panic :D

England ... about the only country in the world not to get localised versions of Microsoft products (OSs and applications), but still has to pay as much, or more than the countries that do. Thanks M$. Even Wales gets a localised version, <deleted>. (Haven't checked Vista, but I expect nothing's changed.)

England ... about the only country in the world not to get localised versions of Microsoft products (OSs and applications), but still has to pay as much, or more than the countries that do. Thanks M$. Even Wales gets a localised version, <deleted>. (Haven't checked Vista, but I expect nothing's changed.)

England doesn't need a localized version. Non-English-speaking countries do; otherwise few would buy or could use Windows there. Countries in the euro zone do pay considerably more in dollar terms. Poorer countries must be somewhat subsidized.

And anything that encourages the provincial Brits to upgrade their language to American English, with its more rational spelling (thanks to Noah Webster), and to achieve fluency in the world's dominant version of English (like it or not) is, well, just all to the good. :o

England doesn't need a localized version. Non-English-speaking countries do; otherwise few would buy or could use Windows there. Countries in the euro zone do pay considerably more in dollar terms. Poorer countries must be somewhat subsidized.

And anything that encourages the provincial Brits to upgrade their language to American English, with its more rational spelling (thanks to Noah Webster), and to achieve fluency in the world's dominant version of English (like it or not) is, well, just all to the good. :o

''upgrade''? You are a funny man, aren't you. (Oh yes, and last time a looked, a few years ago, localised Windows XP in France was about 10 to 15 per cent cheaper than non-localised Windows XP in England.)