Poor Flight..how Much Compensation To Expect?

Shrek

I posted here back in November about our flight (me, wife and 2 small kids) back from bangkok to manchester thru abu dhai with Etihad.

In a nutshell flight out of BKK delayed so missed connection in AD...hours sat around in BKK...no help no info...promised hotel in AD....no help in AD no hotel 9 more hours on floor in AD...ended up in london then manchester 13 hours late....terrible service airport and etihad staff non-existent throughout...baggage lost for 48 hours...the complaint is pages long.

Well I have been mailing etihad and getting nowhere until this morning when I get a lengthy response they have obviously investigated the matter and offered a couple of free flights.

Question is what would I expect to get if I refuse and press for financial compensation ?

Anyone know approximately ?

Have you tried the Air Transport Users Council?

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=306

I used them when I was supposed to be flying back from Cyprus August 2006 when Heathrow shut down because of the liquids problem - BA said nothing to do with them but no other flight for 9 days and no accommodation - so had to fly Cyprus air buisness class to get back

Eventually the threat of ATUC/Small claims court + most importantly letter to Chief Exec we got most of the extra money back

I posted here back in November about our flight (me, wife and 2 small kids) back from bangkok to manchester thru abu dhai with Etihad.

In a nutshell flight out of BKK delayed so missed connection in AD...hours sat around in BKK...no help no info...promised hotel in AD....no help in AD no hotel 9 more hours on floor in AD...ended up in london then manchester 13 hours late....terrible service airport and etihad staff non-existent throughout...baggage lost for 48 hours...the complaint is pages long.

Well I have been mailing etihad and getting nowhere until this morning when I get a lengthy response they have obviously investigated the matter and offered a couple of free flights.

Question is what would I expect to get if I refuse and press for financial compensation ?

Ummm how unusual from an airline to do this. I would accept the tickets and thank them. Most airlines wouldn't do this you know.

Ummm how unusual from an airline to do this. I would accept the tickets and thank them. Most airlines wouldn't do this you know.

Agreed, accept the tickets :o

From this site http://www.airsafe.com/complain/bumping.htm

Delays and Cancellations for European Union Related Flights

Unlike the U.S., the European Union (EU) does provide for compensation for flight delays and cancellations. In most, but not all, cases involving a delay or cancellation of a flight, a passenger is entitled to compensation under European Parliament Regulation (EC) 261/2004 for delayed and cancelled flights. There are three levels of compensation:

• in the event of long delays (two hours or more, depending on the distance of the flight), passengers must in every case be offered free meals and refreshments plus two free telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or emails;
  • if the time of departure is deferred until the next day, passengers must also be offered hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and the place of accommodation;
  • when the delay is five hours or longer, passengers may opt for reimbursement of the full cost of the ticket together with, when relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure.

This regulation applies to all airline flights departing from an EU airport or to any airline licensed in the EU if that flight is departing from an airport outside the EU to a destination at an airport in an EU member state.

Unlike the U.S., the European Union (EU) does provide for compensation for flight delays and cancellations. In most, but not all, cases involving a delay or cancellation of a flight, a passenger is entitled to compensation under European Parliament Regulation (EC) 261/2004 for delayed and cancelled flights. There are three levels of compensation:

• in the event of long delays (two hours or more, depending on the distance of the flight), passengers must in every case be offered free meals and refreshments plus two free telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or emails;
  • if the time of departure is deferred until the next day, passengers must also be offered hotel accommodation and transport between the airport and the place of accommodation;
  • when the delay is five hours or longer, passengers may opt for reimbursement of the full cost of the ticket together with, when relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure.

This regulation applies to all airline flights departing from an EU airport or to any airline licensed in the EU if that flight is departing from an airport outside the EU to a destination at an airport in an EU member state.

Ooh err is the penultimate paragraph legally binding...could i really claim a full refund plus 4 return tickets to bangkok ??? or have i misunderstood it ???

They have actually offered two (not 4) return flights but only as far as abu dhabi which is about as much use as the proverbial chocolate ashtray...hmmm...2 week holiday in abu dhabi...nice.

Have you tried the Air Transport Users Council?

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=306

I used them when I was supposed to be flying back from Cyprus August 2006 when Heathrow shut down because of the liquids problem - BA said nothing to do with them but no other flight for 9 days and no accommodation - so had to fly Cyprus air buisness class to get back

Eventually the threat of ATUC/Small claims court + most importantly letter to Chief Exec we got most of the extra money back

yes thanks have written to them awaiting a response

<deleted> accept the flights. They are worthless. The OP went from the UK to Bangkok and it was the leg from Bangkok which screwed it all up. He has no desire to go from the UK to the sandpit. Even to utilise the flights, the OP would have to purchase 2 full tickets and 2 from the sandpit to Bangkok. That would likely be the same cost as him buying 4 new tickets so the offer has no value.

Sue them in the small claims court in the UK for the maximum possible. Inform them that you are willing to settle now for XYZ (whatever that may be - perhaps 4 free tickets to Bangkok). Inform them that it would be in their interest to agree as their internal costs to defend the action will cost far more than the cost of the free flights. Then move the court to somewhere remote where they will have to pay for hotels, miles away from their base in the UK. PLay silly buggers with them but let them know that you will settle.

Then get the media involved. Local papers love this stuff.

No point in accepting anything which is worthless so tell them that when you reject their offer of flights. Also quote your internal hourly rate. If a professional, you should be able to justify an hourly rate of £150+ at least.

Accept the tickets, best you can prob do at any rate. :o

But the tickets have no value. They are only UK to Dubai not Bangkok and not 4 tickets as per the disrupted schedule, only 2. I mean, he'd have to buy 2 tickets from UK to Bangkok plus 2 more tickets from Dubai to Bangkok. After he does that, his cost will likely be the same as buying 4 tickets from the UK to Bangkok. Thus no value.

I agree that perhaps only 1% to 5% of us can actually get a better deal but just because the other 95% are inept and will back down at he first clash with authority does not mean that the OP has to. As the offer is worthless, or nearly so, it is nothing to lose if rejected in the hope of a better result further down the line.

How many would advise accepting if they offered a bag of smarties instead ? Or a teddy bear ? Or a travel guide book ? because you think it is all that can be achieved. They screwed up big style and thus they should compensate adequately.

Ooh err is the penultimate paragraph legally binding...could i really claim a full refund plus 4 return tickets to bangkok ??? or have i misunderstood it ??? You need to read the last paragraph. Etihad are not a European airline so, your flights would be covered by 1999 Montreal convention, under which no airline is under any obligation to provide any compensation; had you been travelling in the opposite direction then yes, they would have been bound by the EU legislation.

They have actually offered two (not 4) return flights but only as far as abu dhabi which is about as much use as the proverbial chocolate ashtray...hmmm...2 week holiday in abu dhabi...nice.

A useful Q & A can be found here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4267095.stm

But the tickets have no value. They are only UK to Dubai not Bangkok and not 4 tickets as per the disrupted schedule, only 2. I mean, he'd have to buy 2 tickets from UK to Bangkok plus 2 more tickets from Dubai to Bangkok. After he does that, his cost will likely be the same as buying 4 tickets from the UK to Bangkok. Thus no value.

I agree that perhaps only 1% to 5% of us can actually get a better deal but just because the other 95% are inept and will back down at he first clash with authority does not mean that the OP has to. As the offer is worthless, or nearly so, it is nothing to lose if rejected in the hope of a better result further down the line.

How many would advise accepting if they offered a bag of smarties instead ? Or a teddy bear ? Or a travel guide book ? because you think it is all that can be achieved. They screwed up big style and thus they should compensate adequately.

You are quite correct. As surprised as I was with the apology and offer my wife and I need two weeks in Abu Dhabi like I need another hole in my bottom. And what do I do with the 2 small kids while wifey and I go swanning round the many tourist attractions to be found there. I would only use the ''free' tickets (I have to pay surcharges and tax) as part of a trip to BKK.

I have checked on Etihads site and they are quoting £280 each (£1392 for 2 adults and 2 kids) return from AD to bangkok so there is a saving but not a lot....I checked for August 2008. So I would have to buy 4 tickets AD to BKK cost £1392 plus 2 kids tickets MAN to AD cost £800 total £2200. If I buy 4 tickets MAN to BKK with, say, swissair cosy is approx £2600 so saving is approx £400 BUT I have to endure AD again !

On reflection I dontthink it is a great offer...not much value to me, and no cost to Etihad...they will just use it to fill two seats that would have been busy anyhow.

<deleted> accept the flights. They are worthless. The OP went from the UK to Bangkok and it was the leg from Bangkok which screwed it all up. He has no desire to go from the UK to the sandpit. Even to utilise the flights, the OP would have to purchase 2 full tickets and 2 from the sandpit to Bangkok. That would likely be the same cost as him buying 4 new tickets so the offer has no value.

Sue them in the small claims court in the UK for the maximum possible. Inform them that you are willing to settle now for XYZ (whatever that may be - perhaps 4 free tickets to Bangkok). Inform them that it would be in their interest to agree as their internal costs to defend the action will cost far more than the cost of the free flights. Then move the court to somewhere remote where they will have to pay for hotels, miles away from their base in the UK. PLay silly buggers with them but let them know that you will settle. The UK courts have no jurisdiction on this matter.

Then get the media involved. Local papers love this stuff.

No point in accepting anything which is worthless so tell them that when you reject their offer of flights. Also quote your internal hourly rate. If a professional, you should be able to justify an hourly rate of £150+ at least.

Absolute rubbish based on your own personal biased opinion.

Etihad aren't obliged to offer him any compensation whatsoever.

Whinge all you want - doubt do much good. If you think u will get dosh out them then I think you are daft. One of reasons one gets travelers insurance.

You might get them to issue you a voucher on an alliance member. Had issues with Lufthansa flight and they asked if I wanted lufthansa or star alliance voucher. I took the star alliance voucher.

But the tickets have no value. They are only UK to Dubai not Bangkok and not 4 tickets as per the disrupted schedule, only 2. I mean, he'd have to buy 2 tickets from UK to Bangkok plus 2 more tickets from Dubai to Bangkok. After he does that, his cost will likely be the same as buying 4 tickets from the UK to Bangkok. Thus no value. The tickets are to AUH - not DXB.

As I've already said, although Etihad are in the wrong, they're under no obligation to compensate.

Tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine and hit them up for some real compensation with a 30 day timeline or straight to the small claims court. Document everything, charge an hourly rate for even answering an email from them. Remember, you would not have to do any of this if they had not screwed up.

Whinge all you want - doubt do much good. If you think u will get dosh out them then I think you are daft. One of reasons one gets travelers insurance.

You might get them to issue you a voucher on an alliance member. Had issues with Lufthansa flight and they asked if I wanted lufthansa or star alliance voucher. I took the star alliance voucher. Unfortunately for the OP Etihad don't currently belong to an alliance.

Perhaps the OP should undertake a long weekend in Abu Dhabi? He could always fill his suitcase up with cigarettes on the return. :D

So people think the airline industry have no duty of care for their passengers do they ? What a croc of shit. I agree that they hide behind paperwork, 50 year old rules and all manner of other crap but they are just as liable as anyone else. I'd won fights with British Airways, British Midland, Easyjet, Lufthansa that I can think of off the top of my head. When you are billing them at many hundreds of dollars per hour or part thereof it get the beancounters to work out just what the liability will be if they lose versus making the problem go away now. That is how you win, use the probability of a negative outcome against them.

So people think the airline industry have no duty of care for their passengers do they ? What a croc of shit. I agree that they hide behind paperwork, 50 year old rules and all manner of other crap the Montreal convention isn't crap and is only 9 years old but they are just as liable as anyone else. I'd won fights with British Airways, British Midland, Easyjet, Lufthansa that I can think of off the top of my head. When you are billing them at many hundreds of dollars per hour or part thereof it get the beancounters to work out just what the liability will be if they lose versus making the problem go away now. That is how you win, use the probability of a negative outcome against them. Where would this negative outcome take place, in the UAE? The UK courts have no juridiction on this matter. The EU legislation was introduced to give passengers a fairer deal, unfortunately for the OP this matter occurred outside the EU's jurisdiction.

It's not very common for airlines to offer a compensation in terms of money, you could try for an upgrade to business or first class?

Edited by enyaw

Working for the airlines as cabin crew I can tell you there are many letters received looking for compensation for delayed flights and everything else. Free air tickets are the best offer but only if they are worth to you, such as going back home to the UK and not half way. I would thank them, say no, but ask for 4 upgrade tickets for your next flights. That is worth far greater value in my opinion, especially since you travel with 2 children.

Hi Shrek,

What nobody here pays attention to, is the fact that you had 4 separate flights i.e. Manchester/AUH, AUH/BKK, BKK/AUH and AUH/Manchester (see flight numbers)

According European regulations you are entitled to compensation on the Manchester/AUH/Manchester legs ONLY.

Please read my former topic of passenger's rights here : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...hp/t142001.html

Hope to have helped.

cheers

onzestan

Hi Shrek,

What nobody here pays attention to, is the fact that you had 4 separate flights i.e. Manchester/AUH, AUH/BKK, BKK/AUH and AUH/Manchester (see flight numbers)

According European regulations you are entitled to compensation on the Manchester/AUH/Manchester legs ONLY.

Please read my former topic of passenger's rights here : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/lofiversion/...hp/t142001.html

Hope to have helped.

cheers

onzestan

Thanks all who have tried to help.

Interesting last point. We were 5 or 6 hours late leaving BKK but caught up loads and only missed the AD to MAN flight by 15 mins. Problem is there are so few flights out of AD in the night...next to MAN was 24 hrs with no hotel so they put us on AD to heathrow 9 hours later, which got us into london at 4pm friday....pandemonium. they had told us we were booked on a BA flight from london to MAN 2 hrs later but after arriving at london the etihad staff just disappeared we had to take care of ourselves. About 2 hours later, after the BA flight had gone the paperwork from etihad suddenly turned up and we were put on BA flights spread over about 3 or 4 hours, as all the BA flights were booked solid. eventually arrived MAN 13 hours late and no baggage.

I think the sensible route is after 2 months of zilch Etihad are at least talking...reasoned negotiation seems the best option, I have written back and said that 2 tickets to AD are of no use to me, and I would only use them to get to BKK. I would have to pay tax and surcharge from man to ad for 2 adults, 2 kids tickets man to AD, 2 adults and 2 kids tickets AD to BKK total cost £2610....I can buy 2 adults plus 2 kids MAN to BKK with SAS for £2500. (all august hence all pricey) so its more expensive to use their 'free' tickets !

I have asked for 2 adults plus 2 kids free all the way to BKK. Nothing to lose as I wont use the free tickets anyhow, unless I can sell on ebay.

Affected about 30-odd people dunno if the rest have complained. Only we had kids so we were most upset.

One guy in BKK was going to heathrow and despite the delay could make his connection in AD yet when he checked in they put him on a later flight out of AD meaning 9 hour delay in AD and told him his booked seat on the AD to HTR leg had been given to someone else in front of him in the check in queue ! How crap is that ? I assume thats BKK check in staff I dont think they work for etihad. Have to say that everything in AD airport was terrible but BKK was not much better...nothing like leaving it to 10 young thai girls to organise the escape plan out of a crisis and 300 angry customers eh ?

Hi Shrek,

Hope to have helped.

cheers

onzestan

Thanks all who have tried to help.

Interesting last point. We were 5 or 6 hours late leaving BKK but caught up loads and only missed the AD to MAN flight by 15 mins. Problem is there are so few flights out of AD in the night...next to MAN was 24 hrs with no hotel so they put us on AD to heathrow 9 hours later, which got us into london at 4pm friday....pandemonium. they had told us we were booked on a BA flight from london to MAN 2 hrs later but after arriving at london the etihad staff just disappeared we had to take care of ourselves. About 2 hours later, after the BA flight had gone the paperwork from etihad suddenly turned up and we were put on BA flights spread over about 3 or 4 hours, as all the BA flights were booked solid. eventually arrived MAN 13 hours late and no baggage.

I think the sensible route is after 2 months of zilch Etihad are at least talking...reasoned negotiation seems the best option, I have written back and said that 2 tickets to AD are of no use to me, and I would only use them to get to BKK. I would have to pay tax and surcharge from man to ad for 2 adults, 2 kids tickets man to AD, 2 adults and 2 kids tickets AD to BKK total cost £2610....I can buy 2 adults plus 2 kids MAN to BKK with SAS for £2500. (all august hence all pricey) so its more expensive to use their 'free' tickets !

I have asked for 2 adults plus 2 kids free all the way to BKK. Nothing to lose as I wont use the free tickets anyhow, unless I can sell on ebay.

Affected about 30-odd people dunno if the rest have complained. Only we had kids so we were most upset.

One guy in BKK was going to heathrow and despite the delay could make his connection in AD yet when he checked in they put him on a later flight out of AD meaning 9 hour delay in AD and told him his booked seat on the AD to HTR leg had been given to someone else in front of him in the check in queue ! How crap is that ? I assume thats BKK check in staff I dont think they work for etihad. Have to say that everything in AD airport was terrible but BKK was not much better...nothing like leaving it to 10 young thai girls to organise the escape plan out of a crisis and 300 angry customers eh ?

Sorry to reply to myself just thought...we were ONLY about 1-2 hours late when we landed at AD. The bulk of the delay came waiting in AD and HTRW does that affect the legal position ? Eventually 13 hours late at MAN.

Ooh err is the penultimate paragraph legally binding...could i really claim a full refund plus 4 return tickets to bangkok ??? or have i misunderstood it ???

IF that regulations would apply here (it's not clear if this regulation apply to Thailand-UAE-UK flights), then you could have gotten 4 one-way Abu Dhabi-BKK tickets for free + refund on your "unused" return journey (if you had UK-BKK-UK tickets, then you would get 50% of the total price back). However, this refund only applies if you decide to abort your trip because of the delays and return to your point of departure (BKK) immediately. Since you agreed to continue to UK, you are not eligible to this kind of compentation.

According to EU regulations, airline should have provided extra meals for you and nothing more (delays weren't significant enough to warrant a night in hotel). I think those free tickets (if they are indeed free) are much better compensation than a cash refund for 4 meals...

Suing will get you nowhere, regulations clearly state that aside of providing care (meals, night in hotel in case of overnight delay, etc.) and giving a possibility to cancel the ticket for refund, airline isn't obliged to give any kind of compensation in case of delay.