Tourists Discover Bangkok

Ijustwannateach

Wow, bunch of grumpy old men here....

Anyway! This silly story reminds me my 2 friends from Canada that came to visit, they were Chinese blood but 100% Canadian. They had it firmly in their heads that Thailand was all Jungles and huts and that all Thais run around half naked chucking spears and whatnot. So I brought them to MBK...... they kept commenting on how there were so many "Japanese" at the mall (we were being squeezed from all sides by countless THAIS), they refused to accept that the mass of people were ACTUAL Thais shopping and living life as busy modern city dwellers. Same when I brought them to Sizzler, they assumed all the Thais eating western food there were actually foreign asian tourists.... ugh. No matter what I said they wouldnt accept it.

Damian

Did you not consider finding new friends at that point?

I've decided to remove all mentions of moderators from this thread and offer an amnesty to those who've posted here. Any further references to me as a mod on this thread will earn warnings. This thread is an invitation to post on topic- that is, to post in response to my post- not in response to my being a mod or to argue about "double-standards."

I've decided to remove all mentions of moderators from this thread and offer an amnesty to those who've posted here. Any further references to me as a mod on this thread will earn warnings. This thread is an invitation to post on topic- that is, to post in response to my post- not in response to my being a mod or to argue about "double-standards."

Well that's all fine and dandy then, should this not be moved to Fun or jokes then IJWT?

Well that's all fine and dandy then, should this not be moved to Fun or jokes then IJWT?

Perhaps farang pub instead? Along with the Thai soap opera thread, the shopping thread and this totally non-Thai related thread started by you which managed to stay in General but I didn't hear you complaining so vociferously then. :o

Perhaps farang pub instead? Along with the Thai soap opera thread, the shopping thread and this totally non-Thai related thread started by you which managed to stay in General but I didn't hear you complaining so vociferously then. :o

How do rate Maynard Ferguson's death as FUN? Furthemore it was Thailand related as stated in that OP!

How do rate Maynard Ferguson's death as FUN? Furthemore it was Thailand related as stated in that OP!

Oh yes, right, he played in Bangkok every year. So true, totally Thailand related. My bad.

May I make a suggestion? If you dont' like this thread, don't read it. There are others who are enjoying it and like to have a little humor every now and then. If you are not one of these then please refrain from reading and posting since it offends your sensibilities so much.

As far as I am concerned, enough said :D

Oh yes, right, he played in Bangkok every year. So true, totally Thailand related. My bad.

May I make a suggestion? If you dont' like this thread, don't read it. There are others who are enjoying it and like to have a little humor every now and then. If you are not one of these then please refrain from reading and posting since it offends your sensibilities so much.

As far as I am concerned, enough said :D

Nice.

REUTERS - Jerry Brown, 27, and his girlfriend Susan, 26, were used to adventurous travel ideas. They'd already been to Bognor Regis, Southend-on-Sea, and parts of Wales and the lake district. After 10 minutes in Thailand, however, they were ready to leave.

"There's just so many tourists" said Susan. "We flew straight to Fuket from Bangkok and the plane was full of westerners. Then we were walking along the beach in Patong earlier and we didn't see a single Thai anywhere, not a single one! It's not real Thailand. We weren't expecting to see anyone."

"So we went to Ko Lanta" Susan.

"This was supposed to be like totally undiscovered, you know, bungalows on the beach, like that movie, you know, the beach." Jerry.

"But on the boat we knew we had made another mistake, it was full of tourists again." Susan.

"Yeah and it wasn't anything like what we hoped, i mean, there were bungalows on the beach, but there were also loads of westeners all eating pizza at western style restaurant. Its not real Thailand." Jerry.

"Who comes all the way to Thailand to eat pizza for christs sakes. What idiots! We left after 2 days." Susan.

"Far too touristy. We flew back to Bangkok then up to Chiang Mai, in the north. We hated it." Jerry.

"So many tourists." Susan.

"Not real Thailand". Jerry.

"Then we flew to Luang Prabang and went straight out to a tiny village in the country that we were told about. Oh my god its so amazing! We are staying somewhere noone else knows about. There's no tourists where we are staying whatsoever. It's so amazing. We've not seen any other tourists for three days now!" Susan.

"Yeah, this is real Thailand" Jerry.

"Then we flew to Luang Prabang and went straight out to a tiny village in the country that we were told about. Oh my god its so amazing! We are staying somewhere noone else knows about. There's no tourists where we are staying whatsoever. It's so amazing. We've not seen any other tourists for three days now!" Susan.

"Yeah, this is real Thailand" Jerry.

CB

There're limitations within the news article format- to make it believable I have to put in mainly what a real news reporter might conceivably write (even with such a weird story).

However, I've been playing with a way of expanding the story so that I can have a bit broader range- don't think I want to get too dark with it, though...

"S"

Good stuff. People should try to flex their writing muscle, especially if they spend a lot of time on forums. You never know where it might lead to.

There're limitations within the news article format- to make it believable I have to put in mainly what a real news reporter might conceivably write (even with such a weird story).

However, I've been playing with a way of expanding the story so that I can have a bit broader range- don't think I want to get too dark with it, though...

"S"

you begin with a news format and deteriorate into random quotes attempting to be humourous. With no framewiork of news behind them they are just a series of one liners and the article ceases to be effective satire.

i was amused by the lead though .

Wow, bunch of grumpy old men here....

Yes, including the original poster, [in his position of forum member/contributor, not something else].

I posted a message of ENCOURAGEMENT saying I liked the original post, and against grumpyness.

But after the latest outburst I'm not going to bother with it now.