Destroyed Tapes Show CIA Prisons In Thailand

Jai Dee

CIA SECRET PRISONS

Destroyed tapes show CIA prisons in Thailand : Washington Post

The sticky issue of Thailand permitting the CIA to set up a secret prison where alleged torture of suspected al-Qaeda members were conducted surfaced again Thursday as the US lawmakers listen to the agency's top lawyer in a closed testimony about a destroyed interrogation videotapes.

Washington Post reported today that the CIA station chief in Bangkok sent a classified cable in late 2005, asking permission to destroy the videotapes " recorded at a secret CIA prison in Thailand that in part portrayed intelligence officers using simulated drowning to extract information from suspected al-Qaeda members."

News about Thailand hosting a covert prison system set up by the CIA around 2001 was first reported by the Washington Post in November 2005. Besides Thailand, Afghanistan and several countries in Eastern Europe, as well as a small center at the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba, were the places where the CIA had set up its covert prison system.

It said Thailand was part of the "hidden global internment network is a central element in the CIA's unconventional war on terrorism. It depends on the cooperation of foreign intelligence services, and on keeping even basic information about the system secret from the public, foreign officials and nearly all members of Congress charged with overseeing the CIA's covert actions," the Washington Post reported in the November 2, 2005 edition. The report provoked an international outcry. Bangkok denied the claim.

In the US capital today, a top member of the House Intelligence Committee told reporters after meeting with the CIA's acting general counsel, John Rizzo, who testified behind closed doors as the first witness in what committee officials have said will be a long investigation.

The CIA official who gave the command to destroy the videotapes apparently acted against the direction of his superiors, Rep. Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich told reporters after the four hours meeting. "It appears he hadn't gotten authority from anyone," Hoekstra said.

The US Justice Department and the House intelligence committee are now investigating whether that deed constituted a violation of law or an obstruction of justice.

"I believe there are parts of the intelligence community that don't believe they are accountable to Congress and may not be accountable to their own superiors in the intelligence community, and that's why it's a problem," he said.

At the center of the controversy is Jose Rodriguez, who had been scheduled to appear in front of the Committee on the same day but his testimony was delayed by his demand for immunity.

Rodriguez was the head of the CIA's National Clandestine Service, the CIA branch that oversees spying operations and interrogations. He gave the order to destroy the tapes in November 2005.

Washington Post reported Rodriguez's attorney, Robert S. Bennett, as saying his client had consulted with CIA lawyers and officials who told him that he had the legal right to order the destruction of the tape.

The Post said congressional investigators have turned up no evidence that anyone in the Bush administration openly advocated the tapes' destruction.

The Post also quoted Rodriguez's attorney saying his client was carrying out the agency's stated intention.

"Since 2002, the CIA wanted to destroy the tapes to protect the identity and lives of its officers and for other counterintelligence reasons," Bennett said in a written response to questions from The Washington Post.

"In 2003 the leadership of intelligence committees were told about the CIA's intent to destroy the tapes. In 2005, CIA lawyers again advised the National Clandestine Service that they had the authority to destroy the tapes and it was legal to do so. It is unfortunate," Bennett continued, "that under the pressure of a Congressional and criminal investigation, history is now being revised, and some people are running for cover."

Source: The Nation - 17 January 2008

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be interested in knowing if anyone knows the location of these camps or how many people were interrogated there.

I am surprised you can't find the VCD's on sale in Patpong. Someone should look, it could save the congress a lot of money!

I would be interested in knowing if anyone knows the location of these camps or how many people were interrogated there.

I am surprised you can't find the VCD's on sale in Patpong. Someone should look, it could save the congress a lot of money!

Daang, I just thought my neighbours were your average Thai couple watching a Thai soap!!! Turns out the plot was more sinister than that. An they told me the people comming and going were using their underground gambling den. hel_l, and that smell! Well, guess it wasn't som tum plaa after all!!

I have heard conflicting reports that one of the prisons is in the dungeon of a Bangkok Domimatrix. :o

I have heard conflicting reports that one of the prisons is in the dungeon of a Bangkok Domimatrix. :o

The other was The Offshore in Suk 23. :D

CIA SECRET PRISONS

Washington Post reported today that the CIA station chief in Bangkok sent a classified cable in late 2005, asking permission to destroy the videotapes " recorded at a secret CIA prison in Thailand that in part portrayed intelligence officers using simulated drowning to extract information from suspected al-Qaeda members."

... SNIP

Simulated drowning !!! :o . What's simulated about it? Did they just play a video game or something? Sick or what? Kind of makes you wonder who the enemies and terrorists really are

Used against suspected members...a bit hard to tell them what they want to know if you are innocent in the first place.

This is vile beyond words but apparently it is ok because the US Govt has defined this method of interrogation as not being torture.

I am sorry to see that the Thai Govt is involved although you have to wonder what pressure was put on them by the US and if they were aware of what was actually going on.

Once you start walking down the path of the ends justify the means you are in a moral black hole.

I hope the new Thai Govt makes it clear that no such facility will ever again be provided to the US.

Simulated drowning !!! :o . What's simulated about it? Did they just play a video game or something? Sick or what? Kind of makes you wonder who the enemies and terrorists really are

It's called waterboarding and is highly simulated. You trigger the targets reflexes of fear of drowning, nothing else. No physical damage is done.

Simulated drowning !!! :D . What's simulated about it? Did they just play a video game or something? Sick or what? Kind of makes you wonder who the enemies and terrorists really are

It's called waterboarding and is highly simulated. You trigger the targets reflexes of fear of drowning, nothing else. No physical damage is done.

So that's alright then ... :o

Ummm, not really. Let the CIA do whatever they want to these guys (short of mutilating them) to find out out any information they can. The criminals involved are savages. Someone who could potentially organize a suicide bombing or carry one out themselves deserves no remorse or sympathy.

Ummm, not really. Let the CIA do whatever they want to these guys (short of mutilating them) to find out out any information they can. The criminals involved are savages. Someone who could potentially organize a suicide bombing or carry one out themselves deserves no remorse or sympathy.

ALLEDGED criminals. If there's evidence put them on trial. What do you think these sort of actions will do for Al Queda recruitment? It's getting pretty hard to tell who the 'good' guys are......

Wonder if this stuff would work on BG's when some baht is found missing.

Prisoners of war don't get trails, they should not of attacked and claimed war.

War crimminals get trails like the ones who chopped heads off prisoners mentioned above.

What was non-afghan people doing in a war zone if you were not in the war.

I am sure it was business dealings that put them in the war zone.

Probably selling clubs to beat the afghan women.

date='2008-01-17 15:28:47']I would be interested in knowing if anyone knows the location of these camps or how many people were interrogated there.

The other was The Offshore in Suk 23. :D

oh no not death by boredom, you could be lying dead in there for weeks and no one would know.

give me water boarding any day, much less painfulbiggrin.gif

ALLEDGED criminals. If there's evidence put them on trial. What do you think these sort of actions will do for Al Queda recruitment? It's getting pretty hard to tell who the 'good' guys are......

Not saying I support or abhor any such treatment - but to disparage a country for using such methods when they are at 'war' is not fair. Yeah, there are 'rules' in fighting, but truthfully, are there really any rules in war? Some countries follow the rules of engagement much more than others. I would say that I would rather be subjected to anything like 'waterboarding' than anything the likes of Al Qaeda would dish out. I would venture to bet that Al Qaeda (or a like entity) would do worse for kicks and giggles, whereas the likes of the CIA may be doing it to stop the mindless wanton killing. Two wrongs make a right? The arguements are endless.

Simulated drowning !!! :D . What's simulated about it? Did they just play a video game or something? Sick or what? Kind of makes you wonder who the enemies and terrorists really are

So that's alright then ... :o

Don't know if it's alright but given the choice probably less painful than having your nails pulled out, genitals shocked etc..

It's been know for sometime about these CIA prisons in Thailand. The, if you want to call them 'Conspiracy Theorists' have talk about it for some time. I know whom i believe.

As far as waterborading goes, it is torture. It causes an unbelievable amount of distress and is very difficult to breath. Water is continously poured over the person near to drowing or suffocation.

Edited by TommyGun

Have to agree there 100%, sometimes it takes a wolf to catch a wolf and lets not forget members or alleged members of any terrorist group are not soldiers, they don't wear army uniforms, they don't fight for any government or represent any country or its people and if caught should NOT be treated like prisoners of war or given any rights a p.o.w. would get.

What do you think these sort of actions will do for Al Queda recruitment?

I don't think Al Queda have any trouble with recruitment as it is, would doing nothing slow the recruitment process ?

I don't think so.

I was taught in World Religions class that every major religion has a golden rule such as "Treat other people the way you would want them to treat you." Waterboarding and other forms of torture violate that command, as well as Jesus' command, "Love your enemies....so that you be the children of God." President Bush claims to follow Jesus, but he surely does not. Thailand has lost face because of this. It is a disgraceful bunch of sins, nothing less.

Have to agree there 100%, sometimes it takes a wolf to catch a wolf and lets not forget members or alleged members of any terrorist group are not soldiers, they don't wear army uniforms, they don't fight for any government or represent any country or its people and if caught should NOT be treated like prisoners of war or given any rights a p.o.w. would get.

What do you think these sort of actions will do for Al Queda recruitment?

I don't think Al Queda have any trouble with recruitment as it is, would doing nothing slow the recruitment process ?

I don't think so.

I agree with some of this but i also agree with another post, and that is who are the bad guys. If i put myself it the position of some of these poor poeple in Iraq that have there entire family wiped out by a powerful nation, i too would want some kind of revenge regardless of who is right or wrong. Terrosrism breads terrorism and it's happening on both sides.

As far as waterborading goes, it is torture. It causes an unbelievable amount of distress and is very difficult to breath. Water is continously poured over the person near to drowing or suffocation.

So does cutting off ones head.

Agreed, torture it is then!

Agreed, torture it is then!

Well cutting/sawing one's head is quite final. Waterboarding - pretty much over within a minute. Funny prison break tele show - even has water boarding in it. I take that over the usual beatings, and physical abuse that are radical muslim mates employ.

Torture, according to international law, is "any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed

WERE?

What's with the past tense?

We are told they were built and opened. No-one has yet claimed they've been closed, I think.

Always did wonder why the longest airstrip in Thailand, Utapao, has never been properly developed?!?!

If you compare the violence inflicted by the US of A throughout the last 50 years and the violence it has received so far, it´s just waiting for another 12,567 deserved 9/11´s. Let´s face it, it not Moslim terrorism that is the main aggressor,it´s the foreign policies of Uncle Sam´s land!