Apple Iphone Versus Nokia 81 8g

midas

I'm trying to decide between the purchase of the Apple iPhone and

the Nokia 81 8G. If anyone has purchased an iphone recently I would

appreciate any feedback particularly regarding the following :-

1. Does the iphone have a camera and if so is the quality of the

photographs acceptable ?

2. Does the sound quality MP3 music playback meet expectations ?

3. Does iphone have capabilities to play games ?

4. If the battery fails in the iphone and needs to be replaced

does this present any problems?

5. Does the iphone purchase come with any free options?

Thanks very much !

I dont have an iPhone.. I have played with both the iPhone and an iPod touch.

First thing is the iPhones UI is exceptional.. It feels great in many aspects but..

Its camera is sucky.. I just picked up a K850i far better.. The 850 also has Sonys media interface and does work.. Its not ideal (for that I would say get an MP3 player) but for for on the road tunes, an audiobook or too, podcasts its very useable. I think the iPhone is similar to ipod touch in MP3 capability so thats one of its strong suits.

The iPhone is a bit funny in sending sms.. Not totally sold on the buttonless interface for phone use myself.

I didnt look at the 81 nokia.. I did look at the newer n95's.. But having had a K750.. My GF having a K790.. My bro a K800.. We are all sold on Sonys UI and cameras.. Everyone has different needs, I need a phone primarily, that can take great shots secondary, with good MP3 very much a backseat and email etc not too high (it needs to connect, send and recieve email, but I dont web browse with my phone)..

Iphone owner here

Not sure which camera is better but this is the best phone camera Ive ever had, its very clear and bright, but I'm no phone camera expert heh.

The iphone is an ipod and the mp3 and video playing is second to none, theres a reason ipod sells so well, crystal clear music and video.

The sms is great, dont know what you mean by funny..... it keeps a record of all your sms for a particular person so its like a discussion on instant messenger back and forth, you can install smsd or isms to enable sending sms to multiple recipients and forwarding sms

The internet browsing is better than any other phone on the market right now, its the same as a computer but you can easily zoom in and move the page around with your fingers.

The games that are constantly coming out are cute and enterntaining, Im a hardcore pc gamer so..... if its not similar to World of Warcraft its just a cute mindless game in my opinion! heh There is a playstation emulator for the iphone and a nintendo and gameboy advance that are getting upgraded periodically.

Never heard of the iphone battery failing but I dont know much about that, Ive owned 3 ipods, the first one I bought six (seven?) years ago now has battery problems but that was also one of the first models so probably isnt comparable to the new technology.

What kind of free options were you looking for? It will be able to install free software directly to the phone from a special program website, that is all free and includes many must have programs.

Iphone currently doesnt have video recording capabilities but that is in development and we will have it hopefully soon (they havew already released a demo that records 5 seconds of video), for free of course. You can also currently only send mms and not receive but that is also getting worked on right now and should be updated in the near future.

Damian

for free of course.

Didnt apple just say that a firmware update would cost 20 USD ?? Or was that the touch ?? If I had purchased one I would think that was a bit cheeky !! Also no one really knows how firmware updates will work out with hacked phones..

As to SMS's being sub par.. As you already said.. forwarding (lack of).. MMS (lack of)..

Also the one I played with had some crappy system where it didnt internationalize numbers so incoming calls would not recognize the phone book entry even though the number was in the phone.. Badly thought out simple elements like that made me think it was a bit basic in its implementation.. Of course it is apples first stab.

Some things about the UI are glorious.. I am certainly no apple hater.. But I didnt come away sold on it for myself.

As to the camera.. Its poor !! I mean wheres the flash !!! Look at any of the LG 5mp / SE models from 3.2 up.. All beat it like a red headed stepchild in this respect.

for free of course.

Didnt apple just say that a firmware update would cost 20 USD ?? Or was that the touch ?? If I had purchased one I would think that was a bit cheeky !! Also no one really knows how firmware updates will work out with hacked phones..

No firmware updates dont cost money hehe, nice try! BUT ipod TOUCH users of the older models will have to pay $20 for the apps that the iphone already has included, the update for them is free, but if they want some extra functions of the touch that make it more similar to an iphone it costs money.

I know exactly how firmware updates work with hacked phones, they work flawlessly, you have to reset the phone to locked, then update, then unlock it at the new firmware setting.

As to SMS's being sub par.. As you already said.. forwarding (lack of).. MMS (lack of)..

I said quite clearly that it DOES have full sms capabilities (forwarding and multiple recipients), you just need to take 10 SECONDS to add the function to your phone with the poke of your finger 3 times. However you can currently only SEND MMS but the receive function will be available soon.

Also the one I played with had some crappy system where it didnt internationalize numbers so incoming calls would not recognize the phone book entry even though the number was in the phone.. Badly thought out simple elements like that made me think it was a bit basic in its implementation.. Of course it is apples first stab.

Got me there, I dont get international calls and am too lazy right now to go goolge it! heh

Some things about the UI are glorious.. I am certainly no apple hater.. But I didnt come away sold on it for myself.

As to the camera.. Its poor !! I mean wheres the flash !!! Look at any of the LG 5mp / SE models from 3.2 up.. All beat it like a red headed stepchild in this respect.

Ya no flash does suck, but the picture quality seems great to me, not compared to an actual digital camera of course but its clearer than any other phone Ive had, but Im not a phone camera guy, thats just a bonus for me.

By the way Im no apple fan, I have never owned any other apple product in my life, other than ipods. But when I wait 10 seconds for apps to load on my o2 pda's or Samsung smartphone and struggle to look at photos, video and play music and then do all that seemlessly and smoothly with no lag or loading times on my iphone... well I realised Iphone is a phone from the future and using anything else now would give me a headache.

Damian

Edited by DamianMavis

Most of the common complaints about the iPhone (eg, lack of MMS, SMS forwarding, no zoom on the camera, no IM capability) are easily addressed with free add ons on unlocked phones. I've got all those add ons and more. Simple as falling off a bike.

In fact, it's fun checking what new freeware is added each day - new games, new books to download, new functionality on the favourites. I've just added something called iConverter - a fantastic tool

Hi :o

iPhone vs. Nokia N81 - both have ups and downs. Apple fanboys defend their iWhatever over anything regardless how many flaws are there, so be it - everyone needs to decide for themselves.

The iPhone is rather large, yet quite slim. HUGE display, which is it's main advantage - fantastic for surfing the web (simply tilting the phone changes to landscape mode!) and superb "multi touch" feature - zoom in on anything (picture, web site) by simply swiping two fingers on the screen. No other phone offers such function.

The cam is 2 megapixels, not outstanding - i got a 2 megapixels phone cam too BUT mine cost a third of the iPhone (it's a SE K750i, brand new but essentially over two years old). The picture quality on the iPhone is, as with almost all phone cameras, depending on the lighting - outdoors in sunlight = perfect pictures. Indoors and flourescent light = bad quality pictures. You can't beat a xenon flash and very few phones have one (mine doesn't either, but at least it's got a LED flash - the iPhone got none at all). Ok so you can ADD video recording - all other camera phones do it out of the box.

If the battery on the iPhone is empty and you don't have the charger with you, you're screwed - you can NOT swap batteries, and THAT function you can NOT add by downloading some freeware. Bring it to Apple to have the battery replaced - sure free (not!) Cool what?

MANY functions that most other phones offer out of the box are missing on the iPhone - yeah yeah, you can install them thru some freeware, yet still a 20k+ phone should not need extra applications to have MMS or usable Bluetooth (iPhone can't send or receive files via BT out of the box - BT is ONLY for a headset!) but for that, buying an iPhone you get pretty much the best mobile music player for free along with it - an iPod no less. Sound quality? Probably beats everything else out there. And lots of typical iPod acessories can be used with the iPhone.

Nokia on the other hand is well known for making good phones - yet they make lemons too (the 6260 was a nightmare!) The N81, being a Symbian S60 device, means a TON of functions out of the box and pretty much everything else can be installed, too. But not much freeware - yet powerful apps available. Downside? Symbian is a little bit on the sluggish side, and the more apps you install the more sluggish such phone becomes. Many recent Nokias had memory problems, i.e. filling the RAM to the max makes the phone crash and many apps don't free the RAM after being closed. Too many firmware updates with those, too. Recent Nokias can be updated "from home" too, just like the iPhone - just a Nokia doesn't brick when being updated (all iPhones in Thailand ARE HACKED and updating will disable the hack, so DON'T! or go hack it again....) what a hassle.

BUT Nokia has a MUCH smaller display than the iPhone - surfing the web on a Nokia is a pain. And of course no multi-touch - iPhone beats every other here. Therefor you can change the battery and if you enter a room with 10 people and ask politely, someone WILL have a Nokia-charger (all Nokia's since 1996 or so use the same charger, just very new ones need a small adaptor plug to use one such). Nokia's Bluetooth will do what you expect from it - send and receive files, that is, and the camera has more pixels too.

Now the choice is yours - both devices have their advantages, both devices have their disadvantages.

Best regards....

Thanh

Yes its more than just that though, the iphone is an exciting phone to own because you KNOW that every day there is going to be new things for you to add to it. Some of those things EXTREMELY important like the current video recorder that is being worked on. I mean, take a phone that doesnt have video recording capabilities and then add a simple program to give it that capability, pretty cool stuff. And FREE.

Damian

Thahn, Im the most adamant about Iphone so you must be referring to me as an apple fanboy, I dont own any apple products outside of ipods and now the iphone. I NEVER liked nokia, too simple, I always liked windows mobile and the vast array of things it could do.

The battery issue sounds like you are trying to say there is a problem.. why would you go to apple to replace the battery just because you ran out of power because you didnt fully charge it? heh

You also keep acting like installing apps to make the iphone better is a bad thing or too hard, it is SIMPLE and FUN. There is no other product out there (well this is exactly like the psp) where you can look forward to making it better and better than when you bought it DAILY. This should be a selling point, not a criticism.

Ya bluetooth thing sucks, hopefully someone will make an app for that pronto!

The iphone is not large, compare it to a pda phone since the iphone does tons of functions, dont compare it to a phone that just does phone functions, compared to my pda phone of 3 years the iphone is smaller but with a bigger screen! heh

Damian

Thahn, Im the most adamant about Iphone so you must be referring to me as an apple fanboy, I dont own any apple products outside of ipods and now the iphone. I NEVER liked nokia, too simple, I always liked windows mobile and the vast array of things it could do.

The battery issue sounds like you are trying to say there is a problem.. why would you go to apple to replace the battery just because you ran out of power because you didnt fully charge it? heh

You also keep acting like installing apps to make the iphone better is a bad thing or too hard, it is SIMPLE and FUN. There is no other product out there (well this is exactly like the psp) where you can look forward to making it better and better than when you bought it DAILY. This should be a selling point, not a criticism.

Ya bluetooth thing sucks, hopefully someone will make an app for that pronto!

The iphone is not large, compare it to a pda phone since the iphone does tons of functions, dont compare it to a phone that just does phone functions, compared to my pda phone of 3 years the iphone is smaller but with a bigger screen! heh

Damian

Dear, before you turn words around in my mouth - YES i was implying that if you run out of power and don't have a charger you CAN NOT CHANGE THE BATTERY because that's a fact. And if you NEED a new battery (no battery lasts for ever, you know?) you need to go to Apple and have them change it.

And i don't ACT like installing basic functions is a burden, it IS. Because imgine, oh horror, there are people that don't own computers..... or are just not tech-savvy like you and like me (my boss being the very prime example, he's got a "virgin" iPhone and NO IDEA how to get that stuff on it, i advised him to go to MBK and guess what? He went to a single one shop, got his "no have" Thai standard excuse and went back home, telling me now how his iPhone sucks!) And you should not NEED to install a video recording app, because a phone that has a camera is EXPECTED to record videos AND SEND THEM AS MMS. And specially if such phone costs over 20.000 Baht, which is a lot of money in case you didn't know, twice the average monthly Thai salary.

I didn't compare it with a "phone that does just phone functions" but specifically to my own Sony-Ericsson K750i, it came available over two years ago and is still on sale, brand new, i got mine for 7.500 Baht. Identical 2 MP camera. Mine takes video clips, the length of which is restricted by available memory in the memory card (and it takes 4 GB ones because i got one in there, maybe it'll take 8 GB ones too?) Out of the box i had a world clock, multi-alarm features etc, things considered to be "basic" nowadays. BUT i also had a rather good camera with a ton of options and a flash of not-too-bad quality (compared with a Nokia N70, which's flash simply sucks). It also has a decent e-mail client on board that works flawlessly with G-Mail and handles attachments such as pictures or mp3's. Oh mp3's, yes it plays them too and can use them as custom ringtones, per caller group, or even per specific person in "contacts". And it's bluetooth can send and receive any sort of file, believe it or not. And due to JAVA being available i can install new stuff as well, everything "made for Nokia S60" works on that phone as well (which is kinda cool - imagine Windows stuff running on a Mac or vice-versa) and now i got a ton of games, Opera browser (which also has a nice "zoom" function) and a few other thingies. And themes - does the iPhone even support them? Mine looks like Windows Vista - even the startup animation, and yes, i've made that one myself :D

Regarding the bluetooth, several booths at MBK/4th floor advertise with available software for the iPhone (which is why i wonder my boss didn't get any??) and i have seen there "get/send File via bluetooth", so something like that seems to be available. Have you checked it yet?

Best regards.....

Thanh

HI

Most Popular Devices

1 HTC TyTN II P4550 (HTC Kaiser 120)

2 HTC S730 (HTC Wings 100)

3 HTC Touch Dual P5500 (HTC Nike 100)

4 O2 XDA Flame

5 E-TEN Glofiish X800

6 HTC P3600 (HTC Trinity 100)

7 HTC P6500 (HTC Sirius 100)

8 HTC Touch P3450 (HTC Elf 100)

9 I-Mate Ultimate 7150

10 HTC Touch Cruise P3650 (HTC Polaris 100)

Devices In Demand

1 HTC TyTN II P4550 (HTC Kaiser 120)

2 Samsung SGH-i760

3 HTC S730 (HTC Wings 100)

4 HTC Touch Dual P5500 (HTC Nike 100)

5 HTC Touch Cruise P3650 (HTC Polaris 100)

6 HTC Omni

7 Asus P750

8 E-TEN Glofiish X800

9 HTC P3470 (HTC Pharos)

10 Samsung SGH-i900

This is from PDA.net

Do anyone have a link to the video program?

Regards

On the installer its called drunknbass (no idea why), just install it from the phone, if you want to read about it: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone-video-re...bass-333346.php

Damian

Damian ,

Which sources are you using?

Either you or Bendix should start a thread listing your favourite applications.

Cheers

My view is that out-of-the-box the iPhone has a number of notable failings for my usage profile. Oddly enough, I feel no need to make any apologies for that. Whilst it is now, apparently :o , possible to add applications, this is all to the good, but, for example, if a future upgrade demolishes the application set because it is unauthorised, a word Apple is very fond of I've noted over the decades. [sidebar: maybe it's Jobs himself, NeXT had similar issues with developers]

By the by, I'm told that a recent BlackBerry was issued here with a 'lock' to True, a harbinger of the iPhone business model I guess.

This locking of phones is a retrograde step, in my view, and since, in the case of the iPhone, it only provides for a revenue stream for Apple, I'm not convinced of its overall value proposition.

However, on the apps point, I would be interested in links to the providers, since there might be a 'killer app' there which would tip the scales for me.

Regards

/edit mad typist strikes again..//

Edited by A_Traveller

HI

I did have a Iphone, but then then i was "born again" and bought a HTC, no need to add and add and add, still say its a crap phone, same as Nokia, sombody want to buy a N73, 2gb and a N80. 2 very nice crap phones.

Like I said before, being able to add new functions to your phone constantly and not be stuck with the same phone you bought last year is a good thing and alot of fun and never lets you get bored of your phone. I had the same pleasure with my windows mobile pda BUT I had to go buy a disk at pantip and browse through the programs to choose what to install. With the iphone you just connect and check out whats new for download TODAY and have your fun for FREE.

Dear, before you turn words around in my mouth - YES i was implying that if you run out of power and don't have a charger you CAN NOT CHANGE THE BATTERY because that's a fact. And if you NEED a new battery (no battery lasts for ever, you know?) you need to go to Apple and have them change it.

Sorry just I never run out of power on my iphone, HOWEVER I used to run out of power on my xda2 o2 pda phone every single day so went and bought a second battery. I guess its too early to tell if the iphone battery isnt going to last many years, but Im pretty sure... by the time the battery dies... I will have bought a NEW PHONE! haha

And i don't ACT like installing basic functions is a burden, it IS. Because imgine, oh horror, there are people that don't own computers..... or are just not tech-savvy like you and like me (my boss being the very prime example, he's got a "virgin" iPhone and NO IDEA how to get that stuff on it, i advised him to go to MBK and guess what? He went to a single one shop, got his "no have" Thai standard excuse and went back home, telling me now how his iPhone sucks!) And you should not NEED to install a video recording app, because a phone that has a camera is EXPECTED to record videos AND SEND THEM AS MMS. And specially if such phone costs over 20.000 Baht, which is a lot of money in case you didn't know, twice the average monthly Thai salary.

Yes ok if you are technologically disabled than you should stick to a VERY basic phone. PDA's, smart phones and iphones are all out of that kind of persons league, they all need to connect to a computer to get full functionality. But the iphone so far is by far the more simpler to use out of the 3 types Ive mentioned... I went from a pda to a nice samsung i600 smartphone to an iphone all within the last 6 months so have fresh memories of this. I'd still have the samsung if I hadnt gotten the iphone bug, I had my pda for 3 years! Phones as expensive as the iphone arent for people making 10,000 baht a month I should think! Also, I shop around at mbk until I find a person with the knowledge I need... I dont give up after one shop heh, I EXPECT a lame answer from the first 10 guys I talk to, if I get a good answer right away Im happily surprised and celebrate by kissing him on the forehead.....

I didn't compare it with a "phone that does just phone functions" but specifically to my own Sony-Ericsson K750i, it came available over two years ago and is still on sale, brand new, i got mine for 7.500 Baht. Identical 2 MP camera. Mine takes video clips, the length of which is restricted by available memory in the memory card (and it takes 4 GB ones because i got one in there, maybe it'll take 8 GB ones too?) Out of the box i had a world clock, multi-alarm features etc, things considered to be "basic" nowadays. BUT i also had a rather good camera with a ton of options and a flash of not-too-bad quality (compared with a Nokia N70, which's flash simply sucks). It also has a decent e-mail client on board that works flawlessly with G-Mail and handles attachments such as pictures or mp3's. Oh mp3's, yes it plays them too and can use them as custom ringtones, per caller group, or even per specific person in "contacts". And it's bluetooth can send and receive any sort of file, believe it or not. And due to JAVA being available i can install new stuff as well, everything "made for Nokia S60" works on that phone as well (which is kinda cool - imagine Windows stuff running on a Mac or vice-versa) and now i got a ton of games, Opera browser (which also has a nice "zoom" function) and a few other thingies. And themes - does the iPhone even support them? Mine looks like Windows Vista - even the startup animation, and yes, i've made that one myself :D

The iphone of course has a world clock (REALLY nice and easy to set for multiple countires), very easy to setup alarms, Extremely simple email client and 2 clicks to setup gmail, any pic you click on has an option for email to a contact and takes 2 seconds, you can send mp3's too, yes with the custom ringtones of course, yes with the games, OF COURSE for the insane number of themes, wallpapers, custom ICONS etc... tons of customisable stuff, way more than any other phone. The photo quality is better than my other phones but has no flash and I'm pretty sure no way to add an app for that! heh so that DOES suck, Im pretty sure they will add an app for bluetooth since the iphone HAS bluetooth but it is being limitted in some way, just like the video recording, someone will add an app for it and voila! There are alot more functions (like maps and the beautiful and simple internet browser) but I was just comparing the functions you mentioned since it sounded like you doubted the iphone had them too.

Regarding the bluetooth, several booths at MBK/4th floor advertise with available software for the iPhone (which is why i wonder my boss didn't get any??) and i have seen there "get/send File via bluetooth", so something like that seems to be available. Have you checked it yet?

OOPS, like I just said, it was just a matter of time, which is what I love about this phone. Keep in mind the high price is because it is an ipod phone, Ipods alone are pretty expensive so one that also acts like a pda and phone is bound to be higher than phones with more limitted mp3 and video capabilities. And just to be crystal clear on this.... the music and video functions so far are not even comaparable to any other phone. Other phones seem to all have lag and loading times, sometimes choppy video playback, not so nice music playback, hard to see photos etc... everything is super smooth and beautiful on the iphone.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Damian ,

Which sources are you using?

Either you or Bendix should start a thread listing your favourite applications.

Cheers

I need to go look at the source for that, I forgot that it was an added source.

My view is that out-of-the-box the iPhone has a number of notable failings for my usage profile. Oddly enough, I feel no need to make any apologies for that. Whilst it is now, apparently :D , possible to add applications, this is all to the good, but, for example, if a future upgrade demolishes the application set because it is unauthorised, a word Apple is very fond of I've noted over the decades. [sidebar: maybe it's Jobs himself, NeXT had similar issues with developers]

You DO NOT upgrade until someone has unlocked the new upgrade, for instance 1.1.2 is unlockable (just not the 1.1.2 out of box in which case you need a turbo sim for about 1500 baht to unlock) but the 1.1.3 is currently NOT unlockable, so dont upgrade to 1.1.3 until someone unlocks it, which could be tomorrow, or next week or hopefully not... next month. If an old application is not usable because the new upgrade that CAN be unlocked has messed with it, it will be a matter of days (sometimes immediate) before the original programmer of that application updates it and a notification on your iphone installer tells you there is an update for it. But so far the only problems for apps has been in the case of having not upgraded the firmware (im on 1.0.2) and that limits me on the apps I can install, theres alot more apps for the newer firmwares so I'll upgrade soon, perhaps today.

By the by, I'm told that a recent BlackBerry was issued here with a 'lock' to True, a harbinger of the iPhone business model I guess.

THIS SUCKS A$$... this means more and more phones including the coming official iphone will be locked to certain carriers, this is bullsheet.... I'm sure this will hurt sales and not help then in a country like Thailand....

This locking of phones is a retrograde step, in my view, and since, in the case of the iPhone, it only provides for a revenue stream for Apple, I'm not convinced of its overall value proposition.

However, on the apps point, I would be interested in links to the providers, since there might be a 'killer app' there which would tip the scales for me.

Hmmmm, what I do to read up on the apps is use google and search for "app iphone" or something like that. All the apps are actually listed directly on your phone from one page and if you want to read about the app you click on the info button and it takes you to a web page for it. But if you dont have the iphone to do that then google it.

Regards

/edit mad typist strikes again..//

Edited by DamianMavis

I am not sure I want to jump into this but..

the music and video functions so far are not even comaparable to any other phone. Other phones seem to all have lag and loading times, sometimes choppy video playback, not so nice music playback, hard to see photos etc... everything is super smooth and beautiful on the iphone.[/color]

What video functions ?? Ohh you mean playback only ??

Wake me up when you can record..

If you have a tinker with any recent SE phone.. Video, camera, kicks iPhones ass often for half the money (the 770 with 3.2 MP and flash for example).. MP3 looks and works fine.. Plus real buttins and no basic beta type mistakes..

Yes the UI is nice.. Yes the screen is good.. But as a all rounder its VERY limited.

Man after struggling to show casting agents/ producers and directors demo reels on a pda or smartphone that comes out with choppy and laggy video (and small screen) and then seeing video playback on the iphone... sorry its not even close, Just fine doesnt cut it for me.

Apparently video recording is now available on the iphone, Ima go look it up! In the meantime, WAKE UP!

Why do people keep talking about HALF THE MONEY? haha, this is an ipod phone.... the phones you mention for half the price dont have the same functionality as iphone and shouldnt be compared unless they do.....

Why do you want real buttons? I've been using on screen keyboards for 4 years.... buttons seem so... 1980's! heh

Damian

That's shocking news. Horrible. I hope they sell none. :o

The iPhone business model is IMHO the only thing that is a valid criticism on this, as Damian said, device from the future. I just showed some pictures today, never heard so much ooh-ing and aaah-ing for any gadget. And that was just showing pix! I had kinda forgotten how extremely lame this banal functionality was on my old crap Nokia smartphone.

The business model can be summed up as greedy control freakery. I don't like the subsidy model in general, but the iPhone has taken it to a new, and worse, level. It's sad, really. I would not buy an iPhone that wasn't unlocked.

Hi again :o

I too have a Blackberry sitting around here... it's locked (Orange UK) and nobody seems to be able to unlock the darn thing. It's a 7130g..... brick, useless. I HATE phone locking!!

There is ONE way to get a perfectly legit unlocked iPhone - travel to Germany and buy it off T-Mobile (Deutsche telekom). They sell (have to, it's a requirement by the law in Germany!) an unlocked version too!

Downside: It costs an absolutely crazy 999 Euros, this is no joke. Some 45.000 Baht or whatever the exchange rate is. BUT unlocked AND legal :D

Damian.... it's not me who has no clue about technology, i do in fact... it's my boss who's so helpless with his iPhone :D But understand - i once sold him a stick of RAM to upgrade his computer, explained him nicely how to do it... next day he told me that with my RAM the computer wouldn't work at all! I asked him if he did everything exactly as i told him - yes, he said, opened the side, looked for where the RAM is, took one of the two small sticks out, put mine in, closed the case - AND WHEN HE LOOKED AT THE SCREEN IT WAS BLANK AND WINDOWS HAD CRASHED. Correct, that specialist didn't turn the computer off before changing the RAM. Aaaaaargh. Needless to say, the mainboard was toast and so was the RAM i sold him. Now he's got an iPhone...........

And yeah, you're right - there will NEVER be an app for a flash :D You'll be surprised to hear just how often people on Nokia-Forums ask for applications to add FM radio... another thing that's hardware only. Errrmmm does the iPhone have FM radio? Mine Sony-Ericsson does :D And another very cool tool in the Sony-Ericsson, i haven't seen this in ANY other phone before - Bluetooth remote control for a PC/Mac! Yes, it's there out of the box, part of the phone firmware. The PC needs a Bluetooth dongle (or a laptop with BT built-in) and the phone can remotely execute some standard functions like media player control etc. BUT there are custom "sheets" doable (small software download from SE website) and you can FULLY control a PC, right down to moving the mouse cursor, open and delete files etc etc etc. Now THAT's cool.

Oh, and i was mentioning FM radio - now i already have TWO Samsung phones from Hutch that have a FM radio which starts at 76 MHz :bah: Those would be a hit in Germany where the police radio is just below the FM broadcasts (around 84 to 85 MHz).

Best regards....

Thanh

the phones you mention for half the price dont have the same functionality as iphone and shouldnt be compared unless they do.....

Thats my point tho.. They do have the functions..

Better camera (3.2Mp and a flash)

Mp3 (and other format) audio playback

Memory card slots

Video recording

Real buttons !!!

For 10k baht in a SE 770..

And I still prefer the K850 for everything a phone and music and cam should be over the iPhone.

I am not sure I want to jump into this but..
the music and video functions so far are not even comaparable to any other phone. Other phones seem to all have lag and loading times, sometimes choppy video playback, not so nice music playback, hard to see photos etc... everything is super smooth and beautiful on the iphone.[/color]

What video functions ?? Ohh you mean playback only ??

Wake me up when you can record..

If you have a tinker with any recent SE phone.. Video, camera, kicks iPhones ass often for half the money (the 770 with 3.2 MP and flash for example).. MP3 looks and works fine.. Plus real buttins and no basic beta type mistakes..

Yes the UI is nice.. Yes the screen is good.. But as a all rounder its VERY limited.

Blackberries are always locked; you have to get "blackberry service" on the phone for it to function on GPRS/EDGE at all. The locking can either be GSM SIM-Lock, or just the Blackberry lock...

Hands down, the iPhone is the best phone on the market out of the box. Having the entire device be screen really makes it something that you can use to experience "content." If you can live without hardware buttons, it is great. If you can't, you are better off with something else...

the phones you mention for half the price dont have the same functionality as iphone and shouldnt be compared unless they do.....

Thats my point tho.. They do have the functions..

Better camera (3.2Mp and a flash)

Mp3 (and other format) audio playback

Memory card slots

Video recording

Real buttons !!!

For 10k baht in a SE 770..

And I still prefer the K850 for everything a phone and music and cam should be over the iPhone.

I dont understand the need for "real" buttons? heh, feels like clinging to the kind of tech you used many years ago, time to move on!

No the mp3 and video playing and photo viewing is not the same at all (not even close!) so not the same functionality, neither is the internet browsing and many other things the iphone does better. If you arent aware of this, go play with an iphone, it will become obvious quite quickly.

I am not arguing that your phone doesnt have a better camera, memory slots (although to me 8 gigs is pretty good), out of box video recording (which iphone now can do with the add of an app), I'm just saying the functions I mentioned are far superior on the iphone.

Damian

It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Other phones have many of the same functions, and have had them for years. But it was so crappy it was more like a tech demo rather than something you would actually bother using.

I use nearly all the functions on the iPhone - internet, sms, calendar, photo albums, stocks, even weather occasionally, world clock, alarm clock, calculator, notes, the phone :o, mail, and iPod. All are an absolute pleasure to use, and many of them exceed all expectations of what I thought possible on a small screen. Didn't think I would be seriously surfing the internet on that little device - but I do - it works fine. Same with mail. Didn't think I'd use the iPod either but it works beautifully.

Maybe a fine example is the camera - my N73 had a 3MP camera, and the phone was touted as "as good as a cheap digital cam". Which was probably true considering the hardware. It took great pictures on occasion. It had a flash. The only problem was the software. It was slow as hel_l to even turn on the camera (iPhone: no delay). The autofocus would often crash which you would only notice at the end of the day when all photos had turned out blurry, only remedy was to restart the phone. iPhone just snaps away. And lastly the album function was awkward and dead slow, whereas the iPhones album with touch zooming/panning/navigation is better than any album on any device.

There is ONE way to get a perfectly legit unlocked iPhone - travel to Germany and buy it off T-Mobile (Deutsche telekom). They sell (have to, it's a requirement by the law in Germany!) an unlocked version too!

Downside: It costs an absolutely crazy 999 Euros, this is no joke. Some 45.000 Baht or whatever the exchange rate is. BUT unlocked AND legal :o

If you plan to travel, go to France, not only the weather is better, but Orange sells unlocked iphones for "only" 749 Euro. The locked version costs exactly the same as in the US : 399 euro. Just follow the Apple philosophy : 1 US dollar = 1 Euro to make you feel better :D

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/21Jan2008_biz22.php

TELECOMMUNICATIONS

AIS in talks with Apple to sell iPhones

SRISAMORN PHOOSUPHANUSORN

Advanced Info Service (AIS) has joined with strategic partner Singapore Telecom (SingTel) to bring Apple's much-touted iPhone to the region, including Thailand.

Chief marketing officer Sanchai Thiewprasertkul said AIS has been in talks with Apple in the US for several months to win the rights to import iPhones.

The iPhone has touched off a new design revolution, as it does away with keys and makes use of a large screen display.

Mr Sanchai said that AIS, in collaboration with SingTel and the Australian mobile operator Optus, were discussing phone volumes, marketing terms and business model partnerships.

He declined to elaborate, but said some conditions still could not be settled.

Mr Sanchai said Apple usually asked operators to bundle iPhones with postpaid plans and share revenue with it. That model simply doesn't work in Thailand.

''Given our one baht a minute of airtime, it would not make sense and would be impossible for us to share revenue with Apple,'' he said, adding that more than 90% of mobile-phone users are prepaid.

He also acknowledged that the Thai handset market was considered small compared with the 300 million people in the United States.

Mr Sanchai also said that up to 60,000 iPhones have been smuggled into Thailand so far. They sell for about 22,000 baht, compared with only 14,000 baht in the US.

Kuladist Smuthkochorn, general manager of Wireless Device Supply (WDS) Co, the handset distribution arm of AIS, said the company expected to sell 4.2 million handsets this year out of 8.5 million industry-wide, up from 3.75 million out of 8.1 million. last year

It aims to sell up to 600,000 its own Phone-One brand handsets this year, up from 150,000 last year, tripling the model's market share to 6% by year-end.

However, Mr Kuladist said revenue would decline to 11.7 billion from 12.7 billion last year because 65% of industry-wide sales were now basic phones priced between 2,000 and 3,000 baht.

The local handset industry was expected to be valued at 32 billion baht this year, compared with 35 billion in 2007. He added that intense competition in the local handset market has resulted margins shrinking to just 1-2%.