Spouse Visa Application

Any advice on how much in terms of say pages, of what is expected of the Thai Spouse to write their statement.

I suppose an obvious answer would be as much as possible, but I've found with a few friends and their applications that the Thai lady, no matter how well her spoken English is, they find it hard to write an actual submission.

Even taking into account that they may first compose it in their own language!

Reading between the lines here over the last few months, the Case Officers seem to really expect a lot from the Thai applicants which I feel is quite unfair given the life some of these lady's have had.

I'm not in any way suggesting they be lenient, but discrimination is a word that comes to mind in reading some of the posts that have been made recently.

One for instance was the applicant that was frowned upon for not having a photo display of the Amphur signing!

What a joke, most of the Amphur settings are entirely mechanical and only there to serve a purpose of community matters.

Almost all Thai's look only at the ceremonial marriage as the one to remember and going to the Amphur later is no different to paying the water bill.

The easiest way is to make both your statements simple, short sentences that are clear,concise and to the point, then sign and date them.

If you had a Buddhist ceremony you should supply photographs of this as this shows family members (and is additional evidence that you have met the applicants family in person). These are probably the most important photos that are supplied.

Proof of legal marriage are the documents you receive at the Amphur Office.

The applicant will be interviewed on what is in those statements to verify them.

The interview is carried out to satisfy DIAC that the marriage is genuine and not a sham one and to see the applicant in person.

Hi,

I've just started out with the process of preparing all of the documents that the Oz immigration requires in their spouse visa application and I'm just wondering which document they require when it comes to proof of legal marriage.

Is it the Marriage Certificate (Khor Ror 3) or is it the Marriage Registration (Khor Ror 2). I have the Khor Ror 3 translated already, but have somehow lost the Khor Ror 2.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, the reason why a photo of our marriage at the amphur (despite being purely a process of paperwork and no ceremony) is regarded as important for our particular application is because my wife and i have only been together in person for a limited period of time (the longest period was for one month) and we HAVEN'T had a thai wedding ceremony, but have planned an OZ wedding ceremony. So we don't have the other strong points for evidence for a genuine relationship as others would have. For example sezzo has lived with his wife and kids for over 3 years. That's why the lady at the VFS was looking for that evidence since it was our only ceremony. However, we did give all the evidence for our church booking here in OZ such as a letter from the priest who will preside over our wedding, church booking details etc.

Sezzo good luck with your application, if you're feeling confident about your application then that's a really good sign. Sounds like you've got it all together and have a strong application. Let us know how you go and anymore pointers you come across :o

Fishhooks, david96 and gburns57au are spot on (as usual) about being clear and concise in the thai spouse' statement as anything can be later clarified by the case officer, if required. It's difficult to get started on the statement, but once you get going it becomes very easy to write a lot. Everyone does their statements differently but obviously you'd start by stating the facts about who she is, how long you've known each other/been together, how you met etc. We tried to work to a timeline of events that occurred during our relationship to show how it developed over time and how it came to be as it is today. When we talked about doing things together or visiting places or family etc we referenced these events in the statement with the relevant documents/pictures etc in the appendix. There's no real right way to do it, just try to clearly note the important information about your relationship and proving it's genuineness. If you have a lot of strong evidence then proving will be easy.

Thonga, i'm not 100% sure about the requirements for proof of legal marriage, but i would strongly suggest that you have a copy of the marriage registration accompanying the marriage certificate. You should be able to acquire the registration document by taking your marriage certificate and proof of ID etc to the place of registration. But hopefully someone here can clarify what the case is with that.

Just to clarify, the reason why a photo of our marriage at the amphur (despite being purely a process of paperwork and no ceremony) is regarded as important for our particular application is because my wife and i have only been together in person for a limited period of time (the longest period was for one month) and we HAVEN'T had a thai wedding ceremony, but have planned an OZ wedding ceremony. So we don't have the other strong points for evidence for a genuine relationship as others would have. For example sezzo has lived with his wife and kids for over 3 years. That's why the lady at the VFS was looking for that evidence since it was our only ceremony. However, we did give all the evidence for our church booking here in OZ such as a letter from the priest who will preside over our wedding, church booking details etc.

zidaney, sounds like you have got your finger on the pulse. Thanks for explaining all of that concerninig you situation. I sets my mind at ease. One thing I will do is get a copy of the marriage restration when I get back to my thai home. Better off having too much evidence than not enough.

Good luck with your application as well

Sezzo

To Certify or not:

Wife & I have spent a good deal of time on our personal statements. Whilst she speaks v good English, she's not quite up to actually writing a long letter.

Thus she virtually dictated to me what she wanted and I made a Word Doco.

Would this be okay to present? As the only alternative would be for her to write it out long-hand in Thai and then we would need to get translated "and I imagine" certified. Or is it only actual formal official documents that need to go through certification.

Maybe a tricky question and I'm just trying to save a wasted trip to have to turn around and back to ChangWattana!

I spoke with the embassy a couple of weeks ago and one of the questions I asked was about the need for certification or verification of translations. I mentioned that I have used previously the translation service in the hotel next to the Oz embassy and I asked whether I need to get the translations certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They told me that it doesnt need to be certified if being translated from Thai to english. My guess is that as there are a good percentage of thais working int he embassy they could probably verify it themselves. Thinking back I only needed verification for translating from english to thai. This was done for the marriage, drivers licence and also a couple of visa extensions.

In my own situation I am getting my wife to write the statement longhand in thai and get that translated and submit both with the application. I will also get my wife to call the embassy again when I am back in Thailand just to comfirm what they told me.

Anyone else like to add. Hopefully I am correct in how I read the situation.

To Certify or not:

Wife & I have spent a good deal of time on our personal statements. Whilst she speaks v good English, she's not quite up to actually writing a long letter.

Thus she virtually dictated to me what she wanted and I made a Word Doco.

Would this be okay to present? As the only alternative would be for her to write it out long-hand in Thai and then we would need to get translated "and I imagine" certified. Or is it only actual formal official documents that need to go through certification.

Maybe a tricky question and I'm just trying to save a wasted trip to have to turn around and back to ChangWattana!

Should be ok as long as she signs it....and understands the content

sezzo:

Really tried hard but could not find the place you mentioned, many dingy buildings around there, likewise hotels and restaurants. Also the Thai security blokes at the Embassy gate did not know of that one.

But, they did direct us to another which is a tad further to the left and just past the "BANYAN TREE HOTEL" in a multi story block called "THAI WAH TOWER 1"

You go to the 3rd floor and to a Travel Agency called WIRELESS something, something..........

They have a translation service and can officially stamp.

Cost for my wife's ID Card translation was '300' Probably would have been '200' at Chaeng Wattana but a hel_l of a lot further away and hassle.

Sorry about that. The last time I used it would have been about 2 years ago so maybe they have moved. But saying that, when I rang the embassy a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned that particular translator they seem to know of them. A frien of mine submitted his wifes application last week and was telling me that there is a translation place at the ground floor of the building where the Visa Application Centre is. I will be checking that out next week when I am there. I will also check out the one that you mentioned.

Thanks for that info

Some are saying that the "interview" for S.V. happens about 2 weeks after applying. Maybe not current!

Regardless of how long it takes to get to this interview, is it here where you get an indication if the app. is successful?

Or is it here where you are told to go away for up to 3 months and take a Sauna?

Fishhooks,

What did they give you to fix your stomach issues? I've had experience with the food there not mixing well myself.

The interview can be between a couple of days and 4 weeks i believe. A number of people have had their interview within 1 1/2 - 2 weeks. My wife had hers just under 2 weeks after we applied at the VFS. I would suggest as always that the length of time your interview occurs depends on your own circumstances regarding your relationship and how busy the Embassy/VFS is.

At the interview you won't be told if your application is successful or not. Same people have found out the same day as the interview of their result, however not at the interview and the length of time after you've had the interview that you know of your result seems to be all over the place depending on how strong your application is and how busy the place is. But all the posts I have read have said that when they have made a decision on your application they tell you to come and pick up the applicant's passport and if it's a successful application the visa will be in the passport. None of the emabssy or VFS staff can notify of the outcome earlier than that i believe.

Leena contacted me back today, and her fluency in English was a surprise. She comes across as polite, intelligent and helpful.

My wife's health check has been approved in Australia after it was uncertain for a while what the outcome of that will be. Leena has said she will now pass the application onto the next stage.

My wife's health check has been approved in Australia after it was uncertain for a while what the outcome of that will be. Leena has said she will now pass the application onto the next stage.

Congrats on the health issues....I know that was a major concern for you....hopefully the rest of the application wont take too long.... :o

zidaney:

Thanks for the very detailed response.

Re stomach (& the other end) I think I copped a fairly nasty food bug, thought I had been travelling here enough over the years to have all the antibody's inside me.

Anyway, my temperature was up, had fever, so I was admitted for 24 hours. First up, drip into the system. Then a cocktail of tabs over the 24 hours and another little bag of goodies to take home.

Obviously, antibiotics (which I normally try to stay away from), plus bowel type things and a couple of others ? also a nice supply of Centrum.

Got to say that the hospitals here are absolutely fantastic, have had a few instances over the years and have always been so impressed. This one was the Bangkok Hospital in Korat. Dental facilities in this country also cast ours into infancy as far as service (and of course price). Have taken my wife a few times also for Dental thingo's and for a few minor issues to hospitals and again the service and treament first rate. St Louis near the Embassy and VFS is another hospital that would put Australian hospitals to shame.

Always make a point though of having travel insurance.

On the "Application" business, all fine and understood.

Lodged yesterday at VFS and quite happy with the service. I would though advise others to come, that if they are organized and can time their readiness to fit in with a two week appointment wait at the Embassy, it may be a tad more user friendly.

VFS yesterday was very very busy. There was much activity and noise (particularly the automated number calling device) when you are dealing with a lady on the other side of glass with a small opening. She was excellent, but handing through a myriad of docos, explaining them and she stamping left, right and centre I feel is not the atmosphere for lodging a "Partner Application" Maybe fine for Tourist Visa's etc.

Added to this, The 47SP had been updated again only in the last few weeks, so we had to leave the window and re-do. My wife wanted to do it in her own handwriting which was fine, but of course this took about an hour to do. I could not see any difference at all in this latest 47SP. The questions and answers applicable to us were exactly the same as the previous one. (David??)

The girl was laughing jokingly about my huge photo album, but said I had been upstaged by someone in the morning, presenting three large albums.

So, I'm sure others won't be queue jumping by going directly to the Embassy, it's just another way of choice as clearly explained in all of the Bangkok Embassy info, we are Australians and it is our Embassy and to boot, you'll have an extra 535 Baht in your pocket to spend on pies at lunch time at the footy.

(So the Passport in question for the Visa is left at the Embassy at the interview? Ours was handed back yesterday, you say about coming back in and picking up same)

Edited by fishhooks

Tourist visas are the secretive ones.(they will not tell you. you have to open the passport to find out.)

With the spouse visa, my wife still had her passport (perhaps she told Leena we were going to Cambodia although i'm not sure even my wife knew at that stage as it was a surprise). Leena rang while we were enroute to Cambodia with the news that we were successful and to arrange a time to bring in passport to have visa affixed.

Bob

I/we have just gone through the process,lodged the application at the VFS 19/12/08 her interview was on the the 08/01/08 with Leena,considering the holiday period I was quite happy with the time frame, a few odds and sods were required namely the updated 47SP which we had on her desk by the 14/01/08 then the waiting game began :D we were told 12 weeks was the normal period :D for a prospective marriage visa.

After 3 weeks I decided on the spur of the moment the wheel needed a bit of oil( not that it was squeaky) so I dropped an email to my local member asking her to look into it on my behalf :o which she was happy to do, but did repeat the same as Leena 12 weeks etc.

My girl received a call on Valentines day from Leena to be at the embassy 10.30 26/02/08 and bring her passport :D so it doesn't hurt to oil the wheel squeaky or not, it can be done. 8 weeks from start to finish not bad.

Edited by figjam2

I/we have just gone through the process,lodged the application at the VFS 19/12/08 her interview was on the the 08/01/08 with Leena,considering the holiday period I was quite happy with the time frame, a few odds and sods were required namely the updated 47SP which we had on her desk by the 14/01/08 then the waiting game began :D we were told 12 weeks was the normal period :D for a prospective marriage visa.

After 3 weeks I decided on the spur of the moment the wheel needed a bit of oil( not that it was squeaky) so I dropped an email to my local member asking her to look into it on my behalf :o which she was happy to do, but did repeat the same as Leena 12 weeks etc.

My girl received a call on Valentines day from Leena to be at the embassy 10.30 26/02/08 and bring her passport :D so it doesn't hurt to oil the wheel squeaky or not, it can be done. 8 weeks from start to finish not bad.

Within the DIAC timeframe you have no reason to complain, your email would have made no difference at all to the processing time of the visa application. After 3 months (and no letter from DIAC) that is when you make serious enquiries. If you do not get a satisfactory answer it is then you contact your local Federal member in Australia.

The 12 week quote is exactly that.....a quote...

Depending on the application some can take less and some can take longer.

My wifes took about 10 weeks...my mates wife about 8 weeks....However if there are things like medical issues then it can take longer than 12 weeks. Usually if there is a problem, you would be informed as to what that is. It would only be an extreme case where an MP's intervention maybe needed.

Good luck to Fishhooks....hope it goes well for you both.

David, please take the time to read my post again, I did not complain and I was quite happy with the proceedings, I emailed "on the spur of the moment" whether the call from the local MP helped or whether our application got by on it's own merits I don't know. But I was not complaining.

Edited by figjam2

I don't know if my wife understood the VFS girl correctly, but she tells me that we must keep all of the 'original' docos, thus Tabien Baan, Birth & Marriage certificates etc etc, for further presentation at interview time?

Not a big issue, but as the girl kept & certified all of the copies I presented, and then handed us back the originals, I imagined the originals had been finished with and I could get them out of my hair and back up country.

I mean, I thought this VFS was supposed to streamline the Embassy process, otherwise, what's the point?

Just for those who have not been through this whole process as yet, it's full-on work, concentration and much running around. Hopefully worth it in the end, but now waiting for the final stages, it would be great to sit back, relax and forget the paperwork!

Within the DIAC timeframe you have no reason to complain, your email would have made no difference at all to the processing time of the visa application. After 3 months (and no letter from DIAC) that is when you make serious enquiries. If you do not get a satisfactory answer it is then you contact your local Federal member in Australia.

With ref to your line 1 para 2 one had the impression that you were not satisfied with the timeframe and wanted to speed things up. Your Federal member would not intervene on your behalf at such an early stage without documentation

which is forwarded to the Minister of Immigration to investigate. Federal members do not interfere with the daily operations of government departments when in this case an application is currently being processed. You Federal members office staff member just looked up the website on your behalf and quoted the timeframe 13 weeks.

In this case the visa was granted on its merits as you complied with the criteria. If it had been refused you could have the option of taking the case to the MRT in Australia.

Edited by david96

"With ref to your line 1 para 2 one had the impression that you were not satisfied with the timeframe and wanted to speed things up. Your Federal member would not intervene on your behalf at such an early stage without documentation"

I don't see how you would get the "impression" I was not satisfied quite the opposite, I know the local MP did intervene as I recieved feedback for her office within 24 hrs and without documentation except the file number.

She has taken what is required for the initial application, it may be that the Embassy may want to see the originals but this seems to be rare.

The point of the VFS is to collect the applications and check that the initial application is complete as per the Embassy's requirements. It may then arise that the Embassy wants extra documents to clarify an issue with the intial application. The point of the VFS to streamline the process is on the Embassy's behalf not necessarily the applicants although the VFS has been instrumental in cutting back the processing time for visas....before it would take a lot longer than the 8-12 weeks it takes now.

Good luck with the application you still have some frustration to go through :o

I don't know if my wife understood the VFS girl correctly, but she tells me that we must keep all of the 'original' docos, thus Tabien Baan, Birth & Marriage certificates etc etc, for further presentation at interview time?

Not a big issue, but as the girl kept & certified all of the copies I presented, and then handed us back the originals, I imagined the originals had been finished with and I could get them out of my hair and back up country.

I mean, I thought this VFS was supposed to streamline the Embassy process, otherwise, what's the point?

Just for those who have not been through this whole process as yet, it's full-on work, concentration and much running around. Hopefully worth it in the end, but now waiting for the final stages, it would be great to sit back, relax and forget the paperwork!

Edited by gburns57au

Thanks Graham,

As you say it 'may' happen that the Embassy 'may' want to check again, it's no big deal to hang onto everything and take again.

All the originals translated okay and the VFS girl readily re-stamped even the copies that I had previously had certified, so it just at the time seemed like 'double handling' (and me wanting to cut back on all of the paperwork I'm carting around with me)!

More tips for those to come.................................... Be prepared to be office jockeys!

I'm not really concerned with any frustration now, as I'm sure all " i's are dotted and t's crossed " probably more to the point of just hanging around and re-jigging flights etc.

Embassy and staff seem to be handling things quite well now per recent posts, compared with a year or so ago.

Edited by fishhooks

Thanks Graham,

I'm actually looking at Qantas points to get us both to Oz, so casually looking at availability during March and April, which unusually seems quite available.

I'm thinking that QF have either opened up a lot more FF seats in general, or other than that, not many are flying between Bangkok and Australia at this time.

Same, much availability back the other way.

Graham or aussiebob or anyone who's applied for a spouse visa,

Did your case officer tell you your chances of a successful outcome at your interview?

Seems some people definitely were told "not much of a chance" or "50/50 chance" whereas we weren't given any indication. I asked Leena when i called her about a week ago what she thought of our chances but she wouldn't give anything away. I'm not bothered by it, it just surprises me now that i've heard other people have been given an indication of the chances at the interview.

Cheers.

** She was asked on Friday where she wanted her documents etc addressed to...would they normally give the result at the same time or later? Not too sure how to read it, I wasn't able to get onto Leena on Friday about it... :o

Edited by zidaney