Stay Based On Support Of Child?

Hello All

My wife just gave birth to my son Justin in Chaiyaphum and I am wondering how I can stay in LOS based on support for him...

Here are the details:

1. Legally married, prior Non "O" Visa, left LOS to continue my work in Iraq

2. I hold an American Passport

3. Baby born in Thai hospital, I am named on the Thai birth certificate

Am I still looking at a Non-"O" visa? or is there another way to stay in LOS long term? Right now I am currently working in Iraq so I can come in and out on 30 day stamps without issue, but some day I might want to get a visa for long term stay....

There is no visa change by having or supporting child. If you are over age 50 there is a provision that allows child to be the basis of your extension of stay currently. You probably should obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa to visit family each year until you are ready to use the 40k family income to extend on a yearly basis.

The multiple entry visa covers you if you need more than 30 days and does provide an audit trail (of no real significance currently I think) but getting one now might make it easier to get one in the future if they tighten the rules on multiple entry visas.

I have a non immigrant visa which runs out in April (though can get another 3 months) and I will probably move onto the 40k income. It is really just paying the tax on the income not really earning it.

Posters from that part of the world are often oil workers on 30/30 type shifts so it makes it much easier to be on non immigrant O visa as they are near or over the 90 days in six month limits of visa exempt entry. But even in your case it is best to have such a visa as it gives you better treatment if you try to do things inside Thailand; bank accounts, car purchase, driving license and such. As your real reason is to visit your family (non tourist) it is what you should be getting.

Thanks Lopburi3, I never really looked at it from that point of view. I am a Communications guy working in Iraq and get up to 20 days off every 100-120 days or so... no oil field work for me.

I guess I'll work on it when I transit through Dubai since I have everything I need with me. Meeting their "income requirement" will not be an issue.