Anyone Know Anything About The Yamaha Tzm/tzr, And Other 2 Strokes Available In Los?

submaniac

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice little bike in very good condition.I won't take the plastic off the seat and mirrors..Nice people running the shop..Thank you for the tip...Manager says they have a 1 month old TZM in blue if anyone is interested..Making a weekend away of it..One night in the Pullman.

Picked up this black Belle R in KK..Well put together little machine..First underbone in my collection.

I've looked at those Belle Rs in that shop so many times - they appeal more to me than any of his other old-new bikes. One still sees loads of Belle Rs on the road here in Isaan - incredibly durable and well-made bikes. Just one question - is it a 3, 4, or 5 speed?

I'm looking at mine now my living room where it will live..Yes lots still on the road.Don't make them like this anymore.Its a 4 speed.

Haha, sure, your living room will be like a garage soon!

On the subject of two strokes in LOS. Let us not forget the Honda Phantom TA150. Same engine as NSR but tuned for torque if one can use torque in a two-stroke thread!

Is the Honda Phantom TA150 a two stroke? How can I 'tune for torque' my two stroke bikes? Though I like two-strokes for their simplicity and greater durability/reliability, I prefer torque over high-end power.

On the subject of two strokes in LOS. Let us not forget the Honda Phantom TA150. Same engine as NSR but tuned for torque if one can use torque in a two-stroke thread!

Is the Honda Phantom TA150 a two stroke? How can I 'tune for torque' my two stroke bikes? Though I like two-strokes for their simplicity and greater durability/reliability, I prefer torque over high-end power.

The older 150 was a 2t that looked like a 4t.. you tune the expansion chamber. I remember a LONG time ago riding a ta150 around samui. It wasn't until about 5 years later that I found out they are 2t.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The older 150 was a 2t that looked like a 4t.. you tune the expansion chamber. I remember a LONG time ago riding a ta150 around samui. It wasn't until about 5 years later that I found out they are 2t.

I see! Very interesting. What about those old Suzuki two strokes one sees with the straight pipe exhausts, I think they are Suzuki RCs:

http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/suzuki-history/1991/1991_RC100D_black_450.jpg

I wonder if that straight pipe was about producing torque over horsepower? (I'm really keeping my eyes peeled for one of these antiques, but they're extremely hard to find).

How can I 'tune for torque' my two stroke bikes? Though I like two-strokes for their simplicity and greater durability/reliability, I prefer torque over high-end power.

The quick answer is port height. Maybe I should have said NSR150 engine reconfigured for marginally more torque.

The older 150 was a 2t that looked like a 4t..

I don't know how one makes a 2T look like a 4T? If you mean it has a plastic engine cowl then yes it does but ...

Quick answer to tell them apart, the two stroke has a radiator as it is water cooled.

Edited by VocalNeal

How can I 'tune for torque' my two stroke bikes? Though I like two-strokes for their simplicity and greater durability/reliability, I prefer torque over high-end power.

The quick answer is port height. Maybe I should have said NSR150 engine reconfigured for marginally more torque.

The older 150 was a 2t that looked like a 4t..

I don't know how one makes a 2T look like a 4T? If you mean it has a plastic engine cowl then yes it does but ...

Quick answer to tell them apart, the two stroke has a radiator as it is water cooled.

" I don't know how one makes a 2T look like a 4T"

Like this . It may be a plastic cowl but it really doesn't look like a 2 stroke.

post-195835-14066826606852_thumb.jpg

Like this . It may be a plastic cowl but it really doesn't look like a 2 stroke.

Maybe to the uninitiated, but to anyone who knows about the two different models, that is the 2 stroke because it has a radiator.

If one is riding behind one or is passed by one in the street the smell would tell you it is 2T

Maybe to the uninitiated, but to anyone who knows about the two different models, that is the 2 stroke because it has a radiator.

If one is riding behind one or is passed by one in the street the smell would tell you it is 2T

Dohhh. I know. I was just saying they did a good job of the disguise!

Yamaha shop in KK has a few new old Yamaha mate 100s..Basically the Yamaha version of that Suzuki two stroke.

Yes I've looked at those a few times. I actually do have one old Yamaha Alpha, lovely little bike I picked up for 6,000 - hasn't needed a single repair in the year or two I've owned it. I've a special interest in Suzukis because they're so rare, and because the sole Suzuki I own (an old Akira I got for 4,500) runs so darn well.

Edited by ClareQuilty

Dohhh. I know. I was just saying they did a good job of the disguise!

Well. I don't think they tried to make it look like a 4T or disguise the fact it is 2T . That would assume the 4 is better than 2. I think they just tried to make it look bigger as the cylinder of a WC engine is quite small compared to an AC one or to hide all the gubbins.

P1050161.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Any of you guys know if there was ever a 250 or 350 twin sold over here, legal, legit with a book? I think i've seen some water cooled fully faired Honda's in the past. I'd be interested in one for a project, preferably Yamaha, but i doubt they exist, ditto air cooled, but i doubt they exist, and by the time the project was finished, it would have no plastic on it, so fairings, condition of, etc, are of no consequence to me.