Digital Cameras

bkk barney

ok i have narrowed it down to 3 cameras, i have the samsung v4 with the sneider lense, this is a great camera and suits me fine, but me mate wants to buy a camera and my knowledge of digital cameras is pretty limited to say the least, so as i said, i have narrowed it down to a choice of 3 and hopefully some posters here have owned one or more of these cameras and have some comments on them. :o

Samsung Digimax V50

5.0 Mega pixels, Movie w/ Voice, Multi Memory Card Slot, Rotating 2.0

21,590 Baht

Sony CyberShot DSC-T11

5.1 MegaPixel CCD, 12X Digital/3X Optical Zoom, Movie VX Mode with Audio,

Memory Stick Duo/PRO, 2.5" LCD

20,990 Baht

Canon PowerShot A95

5.0 MegaPixel CCD, Optical Zoom 3x, Movie Mode, 1.8" LCD

16,890 Baht

its mainly to be used for good quality pics to be posted on the internet, so tewll me wots the best and wots the worst :D

ok i have narrowed it down to 3 cameras, i have the samsung v4 with the sneider lense, this is a great camera and suits me fine, but me mate wants to buy a camera and my knowledge of digital cameras is pretty limited to say the least, so as i said, i have narrowed it down to a choice of 3 and hopefully some posters here have owned one or more of these cameras and have some comments on them. :o

Samsung Digimax V50

21,590 Baht

Sony CyberShot DSC-T11

20,990 Baht

Canon PowerShot A95

16,890 Baht

its mainly to be used for good quality pics to be posted on the internet, so tewll me wots the best and wots the worst :D

Samsung Digimax V50

21,590 Baht

Got one and use for business.Best for vivit colour . ONLY PAID €349 for mine

I'm new to digital but found the Nikon CoolPix series very reliable, versital and dependable. Not withstanding economical. I came to knowing about the CoolPix at a forum on EBAY, online shopping. It's been a great camera and if you get an HP photo printer, you're your own film service center. I paid about 8k Baht. Good luck

i got to admit i do like samsung products, they are great value for money

stumonster, i dont think the lenses come out, my samsung i had the choice of the samsung lense which was about 5,000baht cheaper, ahh ok i have thought about ur post, maybe the sony can come with a zeiss lense, now that would be a good camera, bbl got to do another google :o

looks like the canon is out of the running :D

nikon we kicked out a few days ago unfortuneately cshehan :o

sony has the zeis lense which i didnt know b4

Sony Cybershot DSC-T11 Specification

Sensor 5.1 Megapixel effective Super HAD™ CCD Image Sensor

Lens Carl Zeiss™ Vario Tessar 3X Optical Zoom Lens (38~114mm 35mm equivalent), f3.5~4.4

Digital Zoom Selectable 2X Precision Digital zoom, (6X total) and 1.3X (3M), 2X (1M), 4X (VGA) Smart Zoom, (up to 12X total)

Focusing Five area Multi-point Auto Focus, with AF Illuminator low light focusing assist

Noise Reduction Clear Color and Clear Luminance Noise Reduction, Slow Shutter NR subtractive noise reduction for long exposures

Exposure Auto, Program Auto Exposure modes; Auto Shutter range 1 ~1/1000 sec; Auto aperture f3.5, f5.6, f8

Metering 49 Segment Multi-pattern measuring exposure system and Spot meter modes

Flash 4 Mode flash (Auto/On/Off/Slow Synchro.), TTL Pre-flash metering, red-eye reduction selectable in all modes

White Balance Auto White Balance with 6 selectable presets (Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Fluorescent, Incandescent and Flash)

Scene Mode Scene Mode w/8 presets (Twilight, Portrait, Landscape, Snow, Beach, High Sp Shutter, Fireworks, Magnifying)

Histogram Live Histogram display in record and playback modes

Resolution 5MP (2592x1944), 3:2 5MP (2592x1768), 3MP (2048x1536), 1MP (1280x960), VGA (640x480) picture sizes

Image Modes JPEG (Fine/Standard), Voice Memo and E-Mail still image modes

Multi-shot Modes 4 Shot 2.5fps Burst mode, 3 Shot Auto-exposure Bracketing with 1/3, 2/3, 1 EV (stop) adjustable increments

Movie Modes 3 MPEG Movie modes (w/audio) – Video mail (160x112), VX Std (640x480 16fps) and VX Fine (640x480, 30fps, requires Memory Stick PRO™ Duo media). EX (EXtended) clip length limited only by capacity of media.

LCD Display 2.5” 211k Pixel LCD; Transflective design reflects ambient light for increased brightness

Driver USB driver for Microsoft® Windows® 98 / 98SE / Me / 2000 Pro, XP Home / Pro, Macintosh® OS 8.5.1 / 8.6 / 9.0 / 9.1 / 9.2 / 10

Weight 161g without battery

Dimension 102.5 x 60 x 17.3mm

perhaps if you gave us a clue as to which type of environment you plan on using the camera most often... we could better advise you?

am i right in assuming that your favourite locations will be those that are dimly lit, have flashing neon lights, pulsating hypnotic music & are smokey & noisy? :o

do any of these have a docking bay ?

i have a casio exilim which is fine and has the very usefull docking bay.

on the desktop you can leave all the cables set up into the PC from the bay and its easy just to plug it in when ready to d/l

for small snaps 4M is adequate , you only need more for large photos

Agree with the overkill for internet and why anyone needs over 3.1 is beyond me, I have an Cannon A70 and it was very cheap fantastic photos but I still have to spend an hour reducing picture physical size and file size to use as internet or email pictures. Seems to be getting like the way Hi Fi used to be where you need to have super ears to detect the difference. Also the pictures you take will only look as good as your monitor or printer will allow. I would immagine a 5.1 mega pixel will alow you to blow up an image as large as small house without loss of quality but so what, good if you want to crop but serious overkill in my opinion unless you are a proffessional. I put my pics through Adobe photoshop 'save for internet' function and I can't tell the difference but I get a file size reduced by about 10 times with no visible loss of quality but plenty more hard drive space on my comp.

All these cameras have lense add ons as well and any lack of camera talent can be sorted using photo shop.

Also I think if you wait a while longer you will be able to get a didgy movie cam with all the same specs for the same price.

I paid about 150 UK pounds for mine, very happy with it and wont upgrade untill they are 3D or can shoot around corners with infra red and equiped with a super clothing Xray function.

Don't believe the hype.

Moziman.

its mainly to be used for good quality pics to be posted on the internet, so tewll me wots the best and wots the worst  :D

perhaps if you gave us a clue as to which type of environment you plan on using the camera most often... we could better advise you?

am i right in assuming that your favourite locations will be those that are dimly lit, have flashing neon lights, pulsating hypnotic music & are smokey & noisy? :o

harry.

pls, there are no neon lights in my bedroom

darlek i believe all can just be connected to usb now.

scampy, i like my camera, its me mate who wants to buy a new one :D

mozie man its easier to downgrade a pic than try to upgrade a pic, also hdd space isnt a problem :D

ok i have narrowed it down to 3 cameras, i have the samsung v4 with the sneider lense, this is a great camera and suits me fine, but me mate wants to buy a camera and my knowledge of digital cameras is pretty limited to say the least, so as i said, i have narrowed it down to a choice of 3 and hopefully some posters here have owned one or more of these cameras and have some comments on them.  :o

Samsung Digimax V50

21,590 Baht

Sony CyberShot DSC-T11

20,990 Baht

Canon PowerShot A95

16,890 Baht

its mainly to be used for good quality pics to be posted on the internet, so tewll me wots the best and wots the worst  :D

Bankok,

Don't know if you know, but dpreview.com is an excellent Digicam review site on the internet; poke around on it, its got more than you'd ever want to know about a large number of digital cameras. A side by side comparison of your 3 finalists can be found at this link.

Side by side comparison of BKK's 3 finalist camerasB

Some other factors to consider B4 buying a camera:

- Battery - best to have Li-Ion and be able to charge in-camera (These cameras eat batteries esp. when using the LCD display)

- interface & software to your computer (MAC/PC) - how easy to get the images off and auto-rotate when required, auto naming

- do you want to use underwater? then see if there is a housing available

As others have stated, for Internet use then no need for high Mega Pixels, you will either always be shooting at a lower Res or spending more time resaving them as smaller files. :o

But depends on what images you wish to take and publish in what medium.... and of course the longer you take to chose there will always be a newer model :D

Some other factors to consider B4 buying a camera:

- Battery - best to have Li-Ion and be able to charge in-camera (These cameras eat batteries esp. when using the LCD display)

- interface & software to your computer (MAC/PC) - how easy to get the images off and auto-rotate when required, auto naming

- do you want to use underwater? then see if there is a housing available

As others have stated, for Internet use then no need for high Mega Pixels, you will either always be shooting at a lower Res or spending more time resaving them as smaller files. :o

But depends on what images you wish to take and publish in what medium.... and of course the longer you take to chose there will always be a newer model :D

Do not fully agree about battery - I feel it is best to be able to use a general purpose type (AA) that you can buy anywhere. At some point any type will fail and it is nice to be able to immediately install store bought spare and keep shooting when you are at a tourist spot.

The interface and software is a nice touch but you will probably use another program if you do much 'darkroom' work anyhow. If you are interested in instant prints it would be good to get a camera system compatible with your printer system (if you have automatic type).

Underwater and interchangeable lens if you need them.

Focus type/time and shutter delay are major factors that should be looked at. Faster/less delay the better.

As improvements are being made very fast in this type of camera the newest model is likely to be the best.

phormio

im pretty shocked that the samsung werent rated above the sony, when u look at the specs i would have thought the samsung better, ermmm seems the canon has to be back in the running then, i tell u wot im glad it aint me buying a new camera, all ive got to do is print this off and give it to me mate and its his problem, still im quite happy with me old samsung v4 :o

Go for the Canon. Good quality, plenty of features and cheaper. Mine is great.

Agree with you. My Canon works a treat too and the battery (Li-Ion) lasts a good full day - can shoot 400+ pics before needing a top-up and by then your back somewhere to download them to your other power hungry machine. :o

I'm new to digital but found the Nikon CoolPix series very reliable, versital and dependable. Not withstanding economical. I came to knowing about the CoolPix at a forum on EBAY, online shopping. It's been a great camera and if you get an HP photo printer, you're your own film service center. I paid about 8k Baht. Good luck

I bought the Nikon Coolpix 775 - quite small (can carry in trouser pocket) and can take normal shots, close-ups and movies. I'm not up-to-speed with all the latest developments in digital cameras though.

They are all total overkill for using on the internet unless you plan to do a lot of crop work on the photos so I would go by price and buy the Cannon A95 unless you have other reasons for liking another.

My Nikon Coolpix 775 (2 megapixels) produces files 600 to 800+ Kbytes in size. Far too big to upload to the internet, so maybe you need to re-think that particular requirement.

Batteries: I bought a second battery with the camera - cheaper that way. Always have one battery on charge and take both batteries with me. But I usually run out of memory first if I take movies, even though I have a 128 Mbyte card.

Can take 130+ pictures at 1600x1200 pixels, 250+ at 1024x768 pixels or 500+ at 640x480 pixels.

the lens is the key. If the sony had the 10x carl zeiss on it , it would be the one.

I thought I heard somewhere that more lenses can be bought and fitted to the cannon, maybe you might want to look into that.

All the camera's mentioned are fixed lenses.

If you want to change lenses then you must go to the Digital SLR's.

The Canon EOS 300D is the cheapest, but still arounf 40,000 baht here in Thailand.

I have the Canon EOS 10D, and that came in at 70,000 baht with memory card,

but no lens. Not recommended unless you are already an experienced photographer.

I chose Canon because I already have a Canon SLR and the lenses are interchangeable, but I beleive the new Nikon D76 digital SLR is also very good.

phormio

im pretty shocked that the samsung werent rated above the sony, when u look at the specs i would have thought the samsung better, ermmm seems the canon has to be back in the running then, i tell u wot im glad it aint me buying a new camera, all ive got to do is print this off and give it to me mate and its his problem, still im quite happy with me old samsung v4 :o

That's the great thing about the dpreview.com site; the guy that runs it tests the cameras very thoroughly. I just bought the Minolta A1 in January to take pictures of my baby daughter and used dpreview to help me decide what to buy. Its a tough choice - they got some great cams out there with prices dropping fast. If I were you I'd buy a prosumer (Minolta A1/A2 or Sony DSCF828) just to learn how to do digital photography. Then later on if you're really into it, maybe in a couple of years, the true Digital SLRs will be more advanced and quite a bit cheaper.

Good Luck. :D

I have a Fuji s7000 12 MP, fantastic quality if you don't mind having something bulky like a SLR. The quality of the photos depends on the optic, and a good optic/zoom weights a few hundred grams. NO WAY TO GET TOP QUALITY IN !%) grams CAMERA.

All the pocket cameras are alike, no matter of Zeiss or whatever else, just marketing. They are good for daylight photos, and reasonable good for all other occasions

I love camera running AA batteries (all Canon and Fuji do it) since you always get short of batteries when you need to take best pictures. Rechargable ones are too tricky.

Buy rechargable AA batteries, if you finish them, just buy some normal AA, take the last shots and go home plenty of photos.

In your list I would take the Canon

check also the cost of the memory cards and take the one which memory cards are cheaper of that may be you can use also in your PDA (i.e. SD memory cards)