Brit Begging At Centralworld

backflip

I now know what im going to do when im out on the piss in bangkok and spent all my money and want another drink, Just keep a folded piece of paper in my back pocket and a texture.

I will tell you how I go next time im there.

Can someone here please deposit 1000 Baht into my bank account because I need a ticket to go back to Thailand ASAP.

Also my wife bashed me last night, its was absolutely amazing, I love it when she bashes me just before bedtime :o

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty interesting to read the comments. Apparantly that guy has been begging in Bangkok for years and is making a good living.

Surely he could sue you for posting that on a pulic forum?

Yes, best to keep it on Youtube which is completely private. :D

:o

I ran into a foreigner begging at the Ratchadamri BTS station just last week. He was dressed in clean clothes, clean shaven, nice sandals, backpack, and was not scruffy in the least. I had no idea why he was begging, and did not actually read the well folded placard he had beside him.

On the way back from my errand he was still there. I talked with him as I was curious and how not being a cat I wasn't in danger (curiosity killed the cat). He told me he had lived in Thailand several years, begged only part time; three days a week, during peak commuter hours for spending money. He said the Ratchadamri BTS exit was a particularly lucrative location as he had tried other areas, but that there were enough office gurls in the area, as well as female students at the AUA main campus to make it worth his while. I asked him about Police or any problems but he said they never bothered him. He went on to tell me he made several thousand baht a day on 'good' days. I have no proof other than while I chatted with him several thai gurls DID drop bills (albeit 20฿ notes) in his begging cup, which he quickly emptied.

He could have been British, Aussie, or Kiwi, as I am bad with un-American accents and they all sound the same to me. I have seen ill-kept drunken foreign beggars near my apartment who were belligerent, and less than accommodating with refusals to donate, but this guy was not of that species. He was more than polite to me, willing to chat, and I saw no harm in what he was doing as giving to beggars is not mandatory as far as I know, but voluntary.

Evidently, the charity middle class working women display is more lucrative than one would imagine in the glorious “Land ‘O Thais”.

"So you've found someone far enough down the scale of human misery to give you a sense of your own elevation.

Well done."

I guess you get most of your exercise by "jumping to conclusions" and, perhaps, by "running away from responsibility".

You guessed wrong.... oh well.

Guesthouse, just because someone is suffering doesn't make it right for them scam people out of their money by making up sob stories. And, oh, it's illegal in most places. Suggest you get off your own sense of elevation atop the high horse of Guesthouse morality.

Since the observation I make is not one of morality, it follows therefore, I can hardly be atop a moral high horse.

Yes, it is (in a very simple way), in that you seem to insinuate it is wrong to be looking down on beggars. But you really miss the point. Yes, the OP called him a beggar, but he isn't. He's a scam artist, a con-man. So, looking down on beggars may make yourself feel better and your first comment would make sense, but not in this thread. The OP Being annoyed and disgusted at the acts of a conman who refuses find a way to live honestly (it doesn't make a difference whether he's the head of a corporation like Enron or poor in Thailand) is quite a fair reaction, and doesn't deserve the sense of elevation that seeps through your comment. You are looking down on the OP for looking down on the scammer but I just think you're way off. It's a fair reaction. Perhaps keep your frequently used comment to threads about actual beggars (still conning in a way, as that Dutch guy obviously doesn't intend to ever buy a plane ticket home).

Feel free to feel yourself making morally reprehensible comments, but please don't lay the source of your guilt on me.

Eloquently written sentence, but a load of <deleted>. Thanks for trying.

I actually admire guesthouse. He's willing to show a little compassion even if it means taking

a lot of flak. They're not all scam artists and that's the sad thing. The few genuine that might

only be in a need of a little assistance get told to <removed>-off by the same people who can throw

a few thousand at a bar-girl without a second thought. Bad things can happen to all manner

of people here. Feign a problem here and see if you can get a stranger to give 100 baht. :o