Doner Kebabs Where

FarangCravings

Hi, I love a lamb gyros too, but prefer the pure lamb steak ones, not the minced and spiced 'mystery logs'. The Greeks generally seem to do marinated lamb steaks and the Turks do minced lamb back in Oz for their kebab/gyros. Lamb is very expensive in Thailand.

At Woody's we mostly cook chicken kebabs nowadays as it seems to be more popular, but the pork is nice too and we still do that occasionally. We only have one spit so can only cook one meat at a time. We have a chili salsa kebab shop sauce available as well as the yoghurt sauce, you can have either or both on your kebab or any of the other sauces we have for that matter.

No problem on the Indian PATAKS sauces and currys can be found at TOPS actually very good especially the balti paste and easy to make too

Is this true? The Sauces AND the Pastes? Really? Very exciting news for me!!! I assume its the Tops at the airport plaza?

Thanks

Phil

Hi, I love a lamb gyros too, but prefer the pure lamb steak ones, not the minced and spiced 'mystery logs'. The Greeks generally seem to do marinated lamb steaks and the Turks do minced lamb back in Oz for their kebab/gyros. Lamb is very expensive in Thailand.

At Woody's we mostly cook chicken kebabs nowadays as it seems to be more popular, but the pork is nice too and we still do that occasionally. We only have one spit so can only cook one meat at a time. We have a chili salsa kebab shop sauce available as well as the yoghurt sauce, you can have either or both on your kebab or any of the other sauces we have for that matter.

Can you add grated cheese Woody? IMO that would finish one off, nobody in LOS seems to have it available, but it was a "must have" on a kebab in the UK? :o

Can you add grated cheese Woody? IMO that would finish one off, nobody in LOS seems to have it available, but it was a "must have" on a kebab in the UK? :o

Sure, 'with grated cheese' is one of the standard options.

And beetroot, fried egg, and a slice of pineapple for the Aussies :D

CB

Weird them Auzzie Geezers are

No not really. Fried Eggs I love them and Beetroot also, but what is really weird is

and a pineapple ring

Here in Thailand they grow pineapples. The trees are all around this great country harvested 2 or more per year. BTW do not stand under these trees as it could be quite painful went the fruit falls down.

Me point is this "

pineapple ring
"

where Kan one find this product??? I have seen Whole, Sliced and Diced, Chunks, but never that elusive "Ring" ........ :D

Kan Win :o

P.S. I eat me chips with Mayo and or Mustard, hate tom the catch-up. :D

Nahhh Nothing at the Peak as I have a Bar there and would of seen it

Doner Kebab is done on the same machine as the Swarrma and Gyro its just minced lamb with spices instead of mostly what i have seen here which is chicken

i am doing a lot of sourcing for a new venture so will keep looking although I am thinking I will probably have to learn how to do it again its not that hard to do just a little time consuming.

If you have any re-learning to do, suggest you might hop on a flight to Turkey to find out what the besssst doner kebab in the world looks and tastes like.

It's also much closer than London.

Let us know when you're up and running !

Cheers

• 7 months later...

Came across an authentic doner kebab stand in the Night Market. It's in Galare on the right hand side of the stage where the dancers perform. Run by friendly Turkish/Australians who had doner kebab places in Sydney for many years. Pretty tasty.

Ask for the sandwich if you want your meat, salad & sauce in pita bread rather than with rice.

They make fresh yoghurt daily - from milk, I am assured, not powder, and without preservatives. Very good.

P.S. Just learnt "yoghurt" is a Turkish word.

The word is derived from Turkish yoğurt,[2] and is related to yoğurmak 'to knead' and yoğun 'dense' or 'thick'

More yogurt/yoghurt info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoghurt .

Edited by sylviex

are you open for lunch? where in town are you?

And beetroot, fried egg, and a slice of pineapple for the Aussies :D

CB

In a kebab? Well, errrr, ummm.... if that's what you want. :D:D

They put them on bangers and mash too. :D

The best thing to do with beetroot is stick 2 big slices in a hot bowl of scouse. That's Real Food and Sustenance. :o

Sounds like a "Gyro" sandwich..is it?

Döner kebab (Turkish) = Gyros (Greek) = Shawarma (Israel; EDIT and apparently the Arab world)

Here's a link on how kebabs have developed - the stuff we Europeans know from back home apparently originated in a suburb to Berlin, as an adaption of the originally Turkish dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_ke...round_the_world

That´s right... the Döner Kebap was invented in Berlin by an enterprising young Turk, who thought up the idea as an alternative to the German Bratwurst. In Berlin a good Döner Kebap costs on average Euro 2,50, which at the current exchange rate would be about 1.80 or so British pounds (correct me if I´m wrong.....). If I remember correctly, a Kebap in a UK Kebap shop costs a multiple of this.................. yes, Britain has become an expensive countrs. What does a Kebap cost in

Thailand????

are you open for lunch? where in town are you?

Sorry, no we are not open for lunch. Open from 5pm to 4am (or later) Mon - Sat. We are on Chaiyaphum Road next to the 7/11. Just a little down from the wooden footbridge that crosses the moat to reach Somphet market.

• 4 months later...

Today I got a ravenous appetite for Kebab. So I looked at TV forum, yeah, found this thread :D , drove to town and - :o found Woody's closed, shop for sale.

:D ,

rebo

To prevent further disappointment: Does the earlier mentioned Turkish shop in the Galare Food stalls still exist?

Edited by rebo

We (Woody's) have always closed one day of the week, it used to be Sundays, but we have recently changed to closing Tuesdays. This week we closed Monday instead to let the staff enjoy the buddhist holiday. Open tomorrow, Tuesday again and we will have kebabs as always. :o