Gadget That Plays "pc" Movie Files On Tv

luumak

I realize this question was asked a few weeks back but I am looking for some clarification. The initial question I thought was about a device that plays "PC" movie files on TV BUT....th ethread was hijacked and the discussion went on about a digital video player that a USB/HDD can be hooked up to.

Does anyone have any experience with the gadget that you insert (IDE?) HDD and runs about b1-2K? They come with remote as well. I am interested in anything you can tell me...types of files it will play (apple, utube, most pc codec), remote abilities, TV + PC interface, USB connection, HOW THEY DRAW POWER (PC/TV)...?

I have seen a few in Pattaya but thinking about going to Panthip for purchase. My life is fairly portable so this would be better option than buying a big player and another hdd to hook it up.

Thanks!

Lots of small HD media players out there.. Some media enclosures.. Many many small brand chinese type imports.

More expensive would be a media center extender (can be an xbox 360) which along with MCE or vista MCE will stream media files around a home network. But I think you mean the more portable media players.

I have a DVD player that does this. You need to have external power for the hard disk, it doesnt have enough juice on the USB port to power a mobile HD. But that's not the problem.

The drawbacks of the DVD player are that pretty much only play/pause work in USB mode. Scan seems to be stuck at 2x and that's that. There is no continue function. Cuts off long titles in the directory listings.

I would like a device with the following features:

- Properly display the titles and play them _in order_. My DVD player inexplicably jumbles the alphabetical order - it will continue to play, but it doesn't do much good b/c the order is random.

- Resume after power off

- Have a scan function that works at higher speed than 2x. Like 16x and 100x.

- Have enough horse power to decode even difficult scenes. I saw mine stutter sometimes at higher bit rates.

- HDMI out would be appreciated (the DVD player has this, but I haven't tried it so far b/c I forgot to buy a cable...)

I already have a device that can play AVI files - I don't know which formats but so far it's played everything I threw at it. I am now looking for one that does it _well_. Any hints, tips, would be appreciated. Not so concerned about price.

I have a little d-tech box, takes 2.5 IDE (laptop) drives, was about 1200Baht without a drive IIRC. Comes with a PSU and remote and plugs into the AV (RCA) sockets or a VGA monitor.

It plays the common formats, mpeg1 and 2, DivX, Xvid, also ripped DVDs and MP3.

Power from the USB when it's being used as an external drive and the power block when it's plugged into the telly.

An absolute life saver here in India, I'd have gone mad by now without :o

Are you familiar with TakeTV from Sandisk ?

I read that it's a thumb drive, plugs into your USB port, with a docking station that plugs into the TV.

I don't know if it's available in Thailand. I read about it in one of the computer magazines product revues. $100.00

hey crossy - thanks. yeah i could imagine...india (i think ive given up on it). anyway, great info.

yes, siamO i am familair (i think) but thought that gadget was basically for photos (at least the one i saw some time ago). i actually saw it in thailand.

thanks again -