My Experience With The New Ford Focus Tdci

North

A few days ago I got a new car, the Ford Focus TDCi, here are my experience so far with the car:

I got the car in Bangkok last friday and went to Jomtien that afternoon. Before I left Bangkok I filled the diesel tank and after that I reset the fuel gauge display. I drove towards Chon Buri under the elevated highway, and for the first approx. 70 km ( until I came to a place where there was a lot of road construction going on) the fuel gauge displayed 4,2 litre per 100 km, which is the same as 23,81 km/l. Driving speed was at that time mostly around 80 km/h, but varied between 60-90 km/h.

It is very pleasant to drive, comfortable seats, road handling is excellent ( as GaryA already has pointed out) and this diesel engine has a lot of torque, which means that even you have a 6-speed manual gearbox you don´t have to change gears a lot, - if you don´t want !

The noise level in the cabin is pleasant and moderate, in some driving conditions you can hear, that it has a diesel engine and not a petrol ( typically during acceleration) but most of the time I really do not notice the sound of the engine.

Overtaking other cars is easy, always abundant power when needed. ( and I will point out that I am not speeding)

Last sunday we went back to Khon Kaen, we were driving from Rayong towards Klaeng, and shortly before Klaeng I filled the tank and reset the fuel gauge meter.

Sunday evening we drove from Klaeng on road 344 towards Chon Buri, turned right at the intersection 344/331 and continued on 331 and later 304 towards Kabin Buri, through Kabin Buri still on 304 towards Nakhon Ratchasima (NR), on the way we passed an area with mountains ( some 40-50 km distance).

From NR. we took highway no. 2 towards Khon Kaen.

Arrived in Khon Kaen the distance was 538 km. the fuel gauge meter indicated 5,7 l/ 100 km ( 17.54 km/l. ). I filled the tank again, 27.04 litre diesel which equals 19.9 km/l or 5.03 l/ 100 km. I am quite happy with that result, since this trip included mountain areas, and on the road from Klaeng towards Chon Buri you have a lot of small hills, which will take more fuel. Furthermore we drove in the evening, I don´t know how much the lights on the car influences the fuel consumption, but they consume energy and therefore the fuel consumption must be higher. The driving speed was mostly 80- 90 km./h. occasionally lower( in the mountains) and higher when overtaking cars driving slowly.

Well, I can surely write a lot more about this car, and I feel sure most of my comments will be positive.

North :o

A few days ago I got a new car, the Ford Focus TDCi, here are my experience so far with the car:

I got the car in Bangkok last friday and went to Jomtien that afternoon. Before I left Bangkok I filled the diesel tank and after that I reset the fuel gauge display. I drove towards Chon Buri under the elevated highway, and for the first approx. 70 km ( until I came to a place where there was a lot of road construction going on) the fuel gauge displayed 4,2 litre per 100 km, which is the same as 23,81 km/l. Driving speed was at that time mostly around 80 km/h, but varied between 60-90 km/h.

It is very pleasant to drive, comfortable seats, road handling is excellent ( as GaryA already has pointed out) and this diesel engine has a lot of torque, which means that even you have a 6-speed manual gearbox you don´t have to change gears a lot, - if you don´t want !

The noise level in the cabin is pleasant and moderate, in some driving conditions you can hear, that it has a diesel engine and not a petrol ( typically during acceleration) but most of the time I really do not notice the sound of the engine.

Overtaking other cars is easy, always abundant power when needed. ( and I will point out that I am not speeding)

Last sunday we went back to Khon Kaen, we were driving from Rayong towards Klaeng, and shortly before Klaeng I filled the tank and reset the fuel gauge meter.

Sunday evening we drove from Klaeng on road 344 towards Chon Buri, turned right at the intersection 344/331 and continued on 331 and later 304 towards Kabin Buri, through Kabin Buri still on 304 towards Nakhon Ratchasima (NR), on the way we passed an area with mountains ( some 40-50 km distance).

Arrived in Khon Kaen the distance was 538 km. the fuel gauge meter indicated 5,7 l/ 100 km ( 17.54 km/l. ). I filled the tank again, 27.04 litre diesel which equals 19.9 km/l or 5.03 l/ 100 km. I am quite happy with that result, since this trip included mountain areas, and on the road from Klaeng towards Chon Buri you have a lot of small hills, which will take more fuel. Furthermore we drove in the evening, I don´t know how much the lights on the car influences the fuel consumption, but they consume energy and therefore the fuel consumption must be higher. The driving speed was mostly 80- 90 km./h. occasionally lower( in the mountains) and higher when overtaking cars driving slowly.

Well, I can surely write a lot more about this car, and I feel sure most of my comments will be positive.

Hi North,

Glad you like it mate. I got the Focus 2.0 Sport (gasohol) just before Christmas and oddly enough drove to jomtien the very next day. I am over the moon with the car handling, performance and economy so i think that it's money well spent. Keep us posted.

Cheers, Rick.

North...took a quick glance at your new car report. Glad to hear that the new Focus diesel ran well for you. Diesels are great...they virtually burn no fuel at idle and very rarely overheat as diesel is oily in addition to the oil in the pan. I sure wish they'd have more diesel cars to choose from and perhaps something that a poor English teacher like me could afford! :o

Have fun with it!

I take it that "TDC I" means "Top Dead Center Injection"?

Edited by Thaiboxer

North...took a quick glance at your new car report. Glad to hear that the new Focus diesel ran well for you. Diesels are great...they virtually burn no fuel at idle and very rarely overheat as diesel is oily in addition to the oil in the pan. I sure wish they'd have more diesel cars to choose from and perhaps something that a poor English teacher like me could afford! :o

Have fun with it!

I take it that "TDC I" means "Top Dead Center Injection"?

:D It may mean that, but I think, it means turbo diesel commonrail injection :D

Hi North; glad it all went well!

You're not still thinking of respraying it, are you? :D

No, I have given up that silly idea, I am learning to live with the black colour. At least it is metallic, so when the car is clean, it does look nice.

North

North, have you owned or driven a lot of diesel vehicles? I don't have much experience with diesels, but the ones I've driven were pretty solid.

I have owned/driven a few diesel vehicles for private / work , including 2 VW Passat, 2 Toyota Hilux, 3 Mitsubishi Shogun, 2 Mercedes 250 and now the Ford Focus, and they have all been pretty solid and not much to complaint about.

North

No, I have given up that silly idea, I am learning to live with the black colour. At least it is metallic, so when the car is clean, it does look nice.

North

Yeah, when it's clean. I actually bought a car-cover as I was so hacked-off with washing the thing every five minutes. If you have a garage, though, you'll be fine. Are you going to black-out the windows for the full "pooyai" effect? :o

Hi North, glad you are enjoying your Focus TDCi, can you tell me please, do you have an AUX input on your stereo to connect an MP3 player?

Many thanks

Brigante7

Yeah, when it's clean. I actually bought a car-cover as I was so hacked-off with washing the thing every five minutes. If you have a garage, though, you'll be fine. Are you going to black-out the windows for the full "pooyai" effect? :o

hi mikster,

No, I am not going to black out the windows. As part of the deal the Ford dealer fitted Lamina film to the windows. They suggested 40 or 60 % on the front window and 60 % on the rest. first I thought the windows would be too dark, but this Lamina film is of much better quality than the film I had on My Hilux Vigo last year, so I ordered 40% in front and 60 % on all other windows, and I am happy with that.

Another story is, that I would like to black-out the red licence plates !

Hi North, glad you are enjoying your Focus TDCi, can you tell me please, do you have an AUX input on your stereo to connect an MP3 player?

Many thanks

Brigante7

Hi Brigante,

Yes, I have noted there is a mini-jack connection for a MP3 player in the glove compartment.

North :D

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago I went from Khon Kaen to Jomtien. The trip was 546 kilometers, I filled the tank before leaving and filled it again on arrival in Jomtien. The result was 21.34 km. per liter, not bad at all since I took the route through the mountains: from Korat to Kabin Buri. The last kilometers between Chonburi and Pattaya/Jomtien I went on highway 7.

In city driving (in Pattaya) the fuel gauge indicates that I get 13.7 km. per liter, again I am satisfied with that result, when I had the Hilux Vigo Exclusive last year I could typically get 8-9 km. per liter.

Since I bought this Focus diesel I have had the most relaxed driving ever, it´s a great pleasure to drive that car, comfortable seats, not too much noise, the best road handling I have ever experienced and the powerful 2 litre turbodiesel engine, all in all, a good buy.

But if your driving is mostly in the city I would recommend you the version with a 2 litre petrol engine and automatic gearbox.

My driving is maybe 10 % citydriving, therefore the diesel and 6-speed manual gearbox is just fine.

North

North..Glad to hear about your good experiences with the Ford Focus 2.0 diesel. It sounds like an economical car with the mileage you're getting, plus it should have good acceleration with the turbocharger under the hood. A coworker's wife has the gasoline version and the mileage is disappointing for a modern car with port fuel injection. However, I think handling would be pretty good as this coworker has a 1998 Focus that zips around with few difficulties. Too bad it's front wheel drive...you could put a nitrous oxide booster in it to leave the highway patrol guys in the dust! :o

But if your driving is mostly in the city I would recommend you the version with a 2 litre petrol engine and automatic gearbox.

My driving is maybe 10 % citydriving, therefore the diesel and 6-speed manual gearbox is just fine.

North

Thank you for your report. Since I know little about Thai market cars, could you answer a couple of q's?

1. Is this Focus a sedan (saloon)? What would be the list price for the base Focus TDCi in baht?

2. Is it assembled in Thailand? I imagine that would make it quite a bit cheaper.

3. I also wonder whether it's based on the newest Focus platform, as in the Euro platform. The ones we get in Canada are two-generations old because, well, it took the Ford factory in the States years to get the old one built right and they don't dare introduce the new, more advanced platform for fear it will repeat with the seven (or was it nine) recalls of the first-generation.

I'm impressed that it's equipped with a six-speed.

Happy motoring!

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Hi North,

Glad you like it mate. I got the Focus 2.0 Sport (gasohol) just before Christmas and oddly enough drove to jomtien the very next day. I am over the moon with the car handling, performance and economy so i think that it's money well spent. Keep us posted.

Cheers, Rick.

Rick,

Where did you purchase the Sport from and if you don't mind me asking what was the price?

Did you have to ask for many extras or was the complete package enough?

North

Thank you for your report. Since I know little about Thai market cars, could you answer a couple of q's?

1. Is this Focus a sedan (saloon)? What would be the list price for the base Focus TDCi in baht?

No, it´s a hatchback, list price is 1,055,000 baht.

2. Is it assembled in Thailand? I imagine that would make it quite a bit cheaper.

The Philippines.

3. I also wonder whether it's based on the newest Focus platform, as in the Euro platform. The ones we get in Canada are two-generations old because, well, it took the Ford factory in the States years to get the old one built right and they don't dare introduce the new, more advanced platform for fear it will repeat with the seven (or was it nine) recalls of the first-generation.

I have seen they sell two versions in Germany, I think basically the platform is the same as the one we can buy here, but the latest version in Germany looks a little different from outside

I'm impressed that it's equipped with a six-speed.

Happy motoring!

Fords are assembled in Phillippines, I believe it's the latest platform, but the engine choice is Asian. Only 36 diesels were on sale, I believe, but it might change.

The engine is the same, they sell in Europe, in fact it is manufactured at Ford´s Dagenham Plant in London. There are more than 36 for sale as far as I know.

The engine is the same, they sell in Europe, in fact it is manufactured at Ford´s Dagenham Plant in London. There are more than 36 for sale as far as I know.

I meant petrol engines are smaller and less powerful than in Europe. Diesel is a trial run only, you can find exect number of cars on offer somewhere in this forum, around early December.

I meant petrol engines are smaller and less powerful than in Europe. Diesel is a trial run only, you can find exect number of cars on offer somewhere in this forum, around early December.

There are 3 engine options of Ford Focus in Thailand;

1. 1.8L Petrol/Ethanol20 (available in 4-Door sedan model only)

2. 2.0L Petrol/Ethanol20 (available in sedan and 5-Door hatchback models)

3. 2.0L Diesel TDCi (available in hatchback model only)

All models are assembled in the Philippines. Petrol engines are also assembled in the Phils.

Diesel engines, for now, are imported from Europe.

Edited by Palace

Hi North,

Cheers, Rick.

Rick,

Where did you purchase the Sport from and if you don't mind me asking what was the price?

Hi Thaieagle.

Sorry for the late reply but i am not getting the topic e mail notifications.

I bought the car from Ford on Sukhumvit soi 62 Bangkok. The price was 936000 Baht and i took credit with Ford leasing over 48 months interest free. The complete package was fine so i did not need to ask for extras, but the guy did throw in the tinted windows for free.

I am very happy with the performance and the fuel economy of the car as it runs on gasahol which is cheaper the the usual price of petrol.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Rick

Hi North,

Cheers, Rick.

Rick,

Hi Thaieagle.

Sorry for the late reply but i am not getting the topic e mail notifications.

I bought the car from Ford on Sukhumvit soi 62 Bangkok. The price was 936000 Baht and i took credit with Ford leasing over 48 months interest free. The complete package was fine so i did not need to ask for extras, but the guy did throw in the tinted windows for free.

I am very happy with the performance and the fuel economy of the car as it runs on gasahol which is cheaper the the usual price of petrol.

I hope this helps.

Cheers, Rick

Thanks Rick,

I have now been on the Ford Thailand web site and was suprised to see that the Sport only comes with auto box. I would like to get back to a manual, so it might have to be the TDCi instead but i will try and get to look around them first, as the sport does looks good. On my rare returns to the UK i have always hired a Focus and they have always been a pleasure to drive.

Remember to make it clear it's Diesel at the gas station as I think Diesel-sedan's are VERY rare in Thailand.

Good point Phil,

My Fortuner was given gasoline instead of Diesel once, now I always make sure what I'm getting.

Yes, it´s a good point. Two weeks ago at a Caltex station I ordered : diesel, full tank. A moment later I just thought I would like to see, that he would actually fill diesel in the tank.

I got out in time to see him reach for the Gasohol 95 handle, so i stopped him.

Now I always stop the car and get out, before I order anything, just to be sure !

North

• 1 month later...

I see with surprise that you are now looking to part ways with the machine you spoke so highly of. Sorry to hear the love affair was so short lived.

I've never been sniffy about sloppy seconds so am just sorry i'm not in a position to take her off your hands. Hope she finds a new loving, caring and attentive owner!