Tourist Visa To Retirement Visa?

Can a 2-month tourist visa be converted (in Thailand) to a retirement visa if all the requirements are met???

A while back a non-immigrant O or A was required before the over-50 retirement visa was granted.

Edited by kbvicar

You must obtain a non immigrant visa in a 2,000 baht step first (from Immigration) - this must be done with 21 days or more remaining on your current permitted to stay stamp.

OK, sorry lopburi. I SHOULD have asked is it possible to convert a 2-month tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa??? I've had the retirement visa for the previous 2 years and forgotten what the steps were...my bad :o

So...can or cannot???

TIA

Yes, you can. You've got some terminology issues ( no such thing as an A Visa, It's an O-A and only issued in your home country).

I did it two years ago.

First you apply and get the Non-O, then do the extension based on retirement. You can do both at the same time.

Yes, you can. You've got some terminology issues ( no such thing as an A Visa, It's an O-A and only issued in your home country).

I did it two years ago.

First you apply and get the Non-O, then do the extension based on retirement. You can do both at the same time.

OK Joe,thanks. So the tourist visa to non-immigrant visa CAN be converted in Thailand or not???

"OK Joe,thanks. So the tourist visa to non-immigrant visa CAN be converted in Thailand or not??? "

Yes. I went to Hong Kong on holiday right after turning 50 and got a tourist visa. I then went to immigration and applied for a Non-O visa, and a one year extension based or retirement, all in one day.

"OK Joe,thanks. So the tourist visa to non-immigrant visa CAN be converted in Thailand or not??? "

Yes. I went to Hong Kong on holiday right after turning 50 and got a tourist visa. I then went to immigration and applied for a Non-O visa, and a one year extension based or retirement, all in one day.

Great.That's what I wanted to hear, pal. The first time I was eligible for the retirement visa I was told "must get non-immigrant outside Thailand". That was only 6 years ago. I really need to keep up-to-date by visiting this site more often :o

I had to make a substantial (and unexpected) withdrawal from my Thai bank and will fall about 3 weeks short of the 3-month 800K "maturing" period -- hence the need for the tourist visa.

So, one last question and then I'll shut up...just how strict is the Pattaya office in enforcing the 3-month requirement??? Would it help if I could show 7 million baht in a Singapore account???

Edited by kbvicar

We really can not answer that as it will be up to them - in some cases they have not seemed to be strict on 3 month rule there. Give it a try; and if it will not fly make the visa trip.

Thanks lopburi. I'll go in Monday and give it a shot.

Kb,

You don't even need to get a tourist visa. You also can convert a 30-day visa exempt entry into a Non Imm O in-country, same as converting a tourist visa in-country, as long as you meet (or *will meet* within 3-months, in the case of money in the bank) the retirement requirements. So, a quick out and in border crossing may fit your situation better. The form for applying for an in-country Non Imm O visa is TM87, and can be found pinned at the top of this sub-forum (the TM86 is what you'd use to convert a tourist to a Nom Imm O visa in-country, and is also pinned, above).

A minor point, not all immigration offices may allow getting the non-imm-O and the extension on the same day. Chiang Mai made we come back more than sixty days after the non-imm-O was issued to get the extension. A friend likewise, all withing the last few months.

As lopburi3 has posted, often immigration doesn't like to accelerate dates but want you to use remaining time on a visa until you are in the last 30 days before they will allow further action on that visa.

Thanks Jim G and ProThai. I stopped by the Immigration office in Laem Ngop (I live on Koh Chang) Friday and the gentleman in charge looked at my documents and heard my story and said the TM 86 or 87 forms should do the trick.

He also said "better do it next week in Pattaya". When I asked why not here next week he said those 3 majic words...

CHINESE NEW YEAR :D I thought that started on the 7th and didn't affect the government offices being open. Go figure...

And ProThai I think you are correct...maybe some of the smaller Immigration offices don't want/can't process the "non-ordinary" visa applications :o

Edited by kbvicar

I've just returned from the immigration office in Pattaya and it could not have been easier. I was in and out in 20 minutes. Not one question asked regarding my not having the full 800K for last 3 months nor any mention of why I waited until 9 days before visa expired.

I now believe that the more non-immigrant extensions in your passport (this is my 3rd consecutive one) smooths out any bumps that may occur when extension time rolls around.