Printed Dictionaries

Xangsamhua

Can anyone recommend a good hard cover Thai-English and English-Thai dictionary that goes beyond the Sor Setthabhut level? I'm looking for something I can put on a shelf.

Cheers

Xangsamhua

As for print dictionaries, as one might expect in Thailand, there are more Englihs-Thai than Thai-English dictionaries. As for the latter, my favorite is the Domnern Sathienpong Thai-English Dictionary, Third Edition, published in 2006 (dated 2549). This big, blue book costs 570 baht which includes a downloadable CD. If you are reading something on line, for example, you can copy and paste a word you do not know directly into the dictionary on your hard disk. Even though the book itself is Thai-English, you can easily do English-Thai by typing in an English word into the search text box on your computer version. All instances where that particular word is to be found will show up.

Finally, a click of the right mouse button on either and English or Thai word will produce the proper pronunciation from your computer speakers.

Domnern Sathienpong also ten appendices which provide specialized definitions for plants, animals, police and military ranks, and locations, among other lists.

When you say you want something beyond SO SETHAPUTRA, I am assuming that you are a sophisticated and knowledgeable user since this is a very fine, advanced dictionary. If you wish something more than what that dictionary I would suggest the Thai-Thai dictionary "พจนานุกรมฉบับมติชน", the Matichon Dictionary. This book contains not just definitions updated from the Royal Institute Dictionary, but small thumbnail pictures illustrating many of the words.

An interesting hybrid dictionary is "ศัพนานุกรมไทย ฉบับอธิบายสองภาษา" (385 baht) which is a Thai-Thai dictionary with English definitions for almost every word. Pronunciations for Thai words using Thai phonetics are also included.

Let us know when you find something to recommend to us also.

Can anyone recommend a good hard cover Thai-English and English-Thai dictionary that goes beyond the Sor Setthabhut level? I'm looking for something I can put on a shelf.

Cheers

Xangsamhua

As for print dictionaries, as one might expect in Thailand, there are more Englihs-Thai than Thai-English dictionaries. As for the latter, my favorite is the Domnern Sathienpong Thai-English Dictionary, Third Edition, published in 2006 (dated 2549). This big, blue book costs 570 baht which includes a downloadable CD. If you are reading something on line, for example, you can copy and paste a word you do not know directly into the dictionary on your hard disk. Even though the book itself is Thai-English, you can easily do English-Thai by typing in an English word into the search text box on your computer version. All instances where that particular word is to be found will show up.

Finally, a click of the right mouse button on either and English or Thai word will produce the proper pronunciation from your computer speakers.

Domnern Sathienpong also ten appendices which provide specialized definitions for plants, animals, police and military ranks, and locations, among other lists.

When you say you want something beyond SO SETHAPUTRA, I am assuming that you are a sophisticated and knowledgeable user since this is a very fine, advanced dictionary. If you wish something more than what that dictionary I would suggest the Thai-Thai dictionary "พจนานุกรมฉบับมติชน", the Matichon Dictionary. This book contains not just definitions updated from the Royal Institute Dictionary, but small thumbnail pictures illustrating many of the words.

An interesting hybrid dictionary is "ศัพนานุกรมไทย ฉบับอธิบายสองภาษา" (385 baht) which is a Thai-Thai dictionary with English definitions for almost every word. Pronunciations for Thai words using Thai phonetics are also included.

Let us know when you find something to recommend to us also.

i wonder, when you talk about the so sethaputra dictionary, do you perhaps have a smaller, 'tabletop' version at the moment? i have one, it's perhaps an inch thick and leaves out most illustrative sentences. still a good dictionary, though.

i second david's recommendation of the Domnern Sathienpong thai-english dictionary. i also have a dual-language thai dictionary (definitions in thai, equivalents in english, good etymological info) by เธียรชัย เอี่ยมวรเมธ (รวมสาส์น publishing). either one would look excellent on a shelf :o , although in this respect the RID thai-thai dictionary must be the leader.

i found the dictionaries to be so well-priced that i'm planning to buy just about all of them over time - a few each time i visit thailand.

all the best.

Cheers

Xangsamhua

i wonder, when you talk about the so sethaputra dictionary, do you perhaps have a smaller, 'tabletop' version at the moment? i have one, it's perhaps an inch thick and leaves out most illustrative sentences. still a good dictionary, though.

i second david's recommendation of the Domnern Sathienpong thai-english dictionary. i also have a dual-language thai dictionary (definitions in thai, equivalents in english, good etymological info) by เธียรชัย เอี่ยมวรเมธ (รวมสาส์น publishing). either one would look excellent on a shelf :o , although in this respect the RID thai-thai dictionary must be the leader.

i found the dictionaries to be so well-priced that i'm planning to buy just about all of them over time - a few each time i visit thailand.

all the best.

Anon, when you talk about the "เธียรชัย เอี่ยมวรเมธ (รวมสาส์น publishing)" are you referring to "ศัพนานุกรมไทย ฉบับอธิบายสองภาษา" (385 baht) or does he have a separate dictionary? Thanks.

Anon, when you talk about the "เธียรชัย เอี่ยมวรเมธ (รวมสาส์น publishing)" are you referring to "ศัพนานุกรมไทย ฉบับอธิบายสองภาษา" (385 baht) or does he have a separate dictionary? Thanks.

I have his พจนานุกรมไทยอังฦษ (ฉบับไหม่) - 1,200 pages; 760 baht

David, it's called พจนานุกรมไทย ฉบับอธิบาย 2 ภาษา (780 baht). Based on price alone, it must be just over twice as good. :o

I must admit I don't know the difference between a ศัพนานุกรม and a พจนานุกรม - could you explain that please?

all the best.

ps. mangkorn, mine must be the post-inflation model: 780 baht but only 1167 pages.

Edited by aanon

David, it's called พจนานุกรมไทย ฉบับอธิบาย 2 ภาษา (780 baht). Based on price alone, it must be just over twice as good. :o

I must admit I don't know the difference between a ศัพนานุกรม and a พจนานุกรม - could you explain that please?

all the best.

ps. mangkorn, mine must be the post-inflation model: 780 baht but only 1167 pages.

Ours are obviously different editions, with different titles. Actually, อธิบาย 2 ภาษา is a more accurate description of his work, but I am guessing that my edition may have been marketed with an eye toward farangs, because the prominent title is written in English: "A New Thai-English Dictionary," and his name is rendered in Roman script, as well. พจนานุกรมไทยอังฦษ (ฉบับไหม่) is the secondary title. The printing year is 2538 (in fact, it's 1,203 pages). I got it in Kinokuniya, which I think is the most-expensive bookstore here. But it's worth every สตางค์ - the definitions are extensive.

Cheers.

Cheers

Xangsamhua

... my favorite is the Domnern Sathienpong Thai-English Dictionary, Third Edition, published in 2006 (dated 2549). This big, blue book costs 570 baht which includes a downloadable CD. If you are reading something on line, for example, you can copy and paste a word you do not know directly into the dictionary on your hard disk. Even though the book itself is Thai-English, you can easily do English-Thai by typing in an English word into the search text box on your computer version. All instances where that particular word is to be found will show up.

I completely agree with the recommendation of the Domnern Sathienpong, though I have only found the yellow Second Edition from 1999. It does not have the CD, but only costs 450 baht, which is a real bargain. It has the same appendices mentioned for the third edition.

Unlike many, this dictionary has a very readable (in bold) Thai font and an excellent, open layout. It also includes all sorts of turns of phrase as well as a completely uninhibited inclusion of every slang term/phrase you would want to learn. The book is fun to just read.

I look at dictionaries every time I'm in a bookstore, and in two years have never seen one that I liked better.

For a Thai-to-English dictionary you can not go wrong tracking down a copy of the Mary Haas Student dictionary. Sure it may lack more modern terminology as it is now over 40 years old, but it is still worth the investment. If you consider yourself a student of the Thai language, this dictionary remains invaluable.

Thank you very much, everyone, for your excellent advice. I'll note down the recommendations and head off to the bookshops. I was interested in the Mary Haas recommendation. It was so well regarded when I was here on my first stint 37 years ago, but I thought it might now be superseded.

Incidentally, a dictionary I have found helpful, though I've not used it a lot, is the Lao-Thai-English Dictionary (2543) published by the Humanities Department of Kasetsart University. We bought it at Se-Ed a couple of years ago for THB350.

Best wishes to all.

Xangsamhua

I agree the Mary Haas Student's Dictionary is great - it is usually the first one I consult, because when there is an explanation in it, it is usually very good and more detailed than other dictionaries (contains short examples of usage etc.).

The only problem IMO is that it lacks a bit of depth so when you get onto advanced or specialized texts, it often comes up short.

English-Thai

I like the dictionary of P. SETHAPUTRA

English - Thai

dictionary of Contemporary Usage

Compact edition

1141 pages

Printed by Nanmeebooks

only 225 baht

There's also a hardcover version (I think from another publisher), but I think the paper quality is less good than the compact edition and the contents is the same.

Almost every word is used in an English sentence and there's a Thai translation of the sentences

The layout is very good (2 colors).

Question:

Are P. SETHAPUTRA and SO SETHAPUTRA the same person?

Thai-English

For Thai-English I like the dictionary of Domnern Sathienpong

This dictionary also shows how to use the words in a sentence, but not for almost every word (like English Thai dictionary of P. SETHAPUTRA)

I am still looking for a Thai-English dictionary that is as good as the English-Thai dictionary of P. SETHAPUTRA

I wish somebody would update the Mary Haas Student's Dictionary and give it as nice layout.

Edited by kriswillems

P. SETHAPUTRA and SO SETHAPUTRA are not the same person :o

I just went to the bookshop today to check.

I find the dictionary of P. SETHAPUTRA more useful for a foreign student of Thai language than the one of SO SETHAPUTRA. Because the the dictionary of P. SETHAPUTRA has examples about how to use the words (1 or more examples for every meaning of the same word).