Repercussions Of Overstay

Hi,

Due to a miscalculation, I will have to overstay for 1 day next month before taking my flight out to NZ. I spend a lot of time here, although I'm not retired or old enough, and have never overstayed before. So assuming I turn up to the airport (at Samui), apologise and pay my fine, will this affect any future touist visa/entry permits I might have?

Is it me? Why should you pay your fine on Samui...? I guess you'll be leaving from Bangkok ultimately .... Getting a extension avoids overstay, but is much more expensive than 1 day overstay (1900 vs 500).

Plus maybe they forget about 1 day and it won't cost you a thing ...

i recently departed on early hours of the 21st Janurary getting to immigration arrouns 1.30am and my visa (with 7 day extension) expired on the 20th. I claimed their were no flights the day before the woman didnt say a word just let me pass no talk of the overstay or a fine.

silly question, but why not go to aiport the day before your plane (no overstay) and wait there your plane. Eventually explaining the situation to the imigration Police?

Will cost nothing

He'll not be leaving Thailand until he is checked in and thru immigration so unless his flight is just after midnight and he can checkin just before midnight then this is not a way to avoid overstay.

I did the same thing once as OP. One day is not a problem at the airport and there is no 500Bht fine on the first day. The Immigration officer said that it would not be a problem in the future.

However you still run the risk of being found out if stopped on the way to the airport.

silly question, but why not go to aiport the day before your plane (no overstay) and wait there your plane. Eventually explaining the situation to the imigration Police?

Will cost nothing

It doesn't cost anything to leave one day late at Survarnabhumi. The first day is free.

Personally I would not pay for a 7 day extension when I'm offered a free day.

The stamp is not nasty and there's no need to apologize. They're a very surly unfriendly bunch anyway.

I've done it twice and it has never been a problem.

The stamp is not nasty

Whilst everything you say is true any stamp saying 'overstay' could prejudice a visa application for another country (or even possibly Thailand if the rules change) in the future. A lot depends upon just how much travelling you do and whether it's for business or pleasure (where refusal of a visa wouldn't be disasterous).

Personally, I travel a lot, any 'wrongdoings' indicated in my PP could potentially cost me a job, I would get the extension, but that's my choice, YMMV :o

Interesting mixed feelings on this thread. Personally having traveled in and out of Thailand since the early 1980's multiple times each year I wouldn't get an additional extension and just leave at the airport with a day over. It costs nothing and these things happen all the time. Flights are delayed, travel hold ups etc. They are not going to read the riot act to you if there is a slight delay. Two days or more though I would get the extension and eat the cost and time at the imm office.

Interesting mixed feelings on this thread. Personally having traveled in and out of Thailand since the early 1980's multiple times each year I wouldn't get an additional extension and just leave at the airport with a day over. It costs nothing and these things happen all the time. Flights are delayed, travel hold ups etc. They are not going to read the riot act to you if there is a slight delay. Two days or more though I would get the extension and eat the cost and time at the imm office.

2 days will cost you 1000 baht at the airport.... half of what you will pay for an extension. I'd get an extension for 4 days or more.

you don't have to pay any fees for a 1 day overstay! it's written on the board at the airport anyway.

So, don't worry. I had a friend who foolishly overstayed 1 YEAR, paid the penalty by spending 2 weeks in jail and came back without any problem.

1 day overstay? Why worry?

Rabbit

Will cost nothing

Who cares about the overstay fee? That is around three beers or so, a nice taxi ride or half a meal..... why torture yourself by staying a night at the airport???

For 1 day overstay, you dont need to pay any fine if you are going out by air.

However, if you overstayed for 2 days, you would need to pay the fine for 2 days (1000B).

Why worry about overstaying? I have overstayed for many times and never had any problem.

They just get extra money and they're very happy about that.

Edited by ptnewbie

Onboard here with those that mentioned that a one day overstay cost nothing... but it is 1000 baht for the second day, then 500 baht for each day after.. I overstayed 3 days the first week of October 07, I just paid the 1500 baht... Now I just applied and received a 60 day tourist visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, DC .... There was questions ask or mentioned for the reason of my 3 day overstay.. So, it's all good, I'll be back the end of Februrary 08...

Hi,

Due to a miscalculation, I will have to overstay for 1 day next month before taking my flight out to NZ. I spend a lot of time here, although I'm not retired or old enough, and have never overstayed before. So assuming I turn up to the airport (at Samui), apologise and pay my fine, will this affect any future touist visa/entry permits I might have?

A 1 day overstay does NOT get you an overstay stamp in your passport. What it DOES get you is a stamp (in thai) that says you were granted a 24 hour extension. NO fine is required to be paid at the aiport. This is not only written on the wall at the airport but been discussed frequently on this board. AFAIK, this only applies to thne airport. Don't think you get the free 1 day at a land border crossing but I'm not 100% on this.

You still well be sent to the overstay desk at the aiport but like I said, no payment required, and the stamp they place in your passport says you were granted a 24 hour extension. THIS COSTS NOTHING.

Now, on the 2nd day over (and more) you will have to pay for all days (500thb per day). Ie if 2 days overstay you WILL get overstay stamp and WILL have to pay 1000thb.

Hope that clears things up.

Hi,

You wont pay a fine you wont go to jail you wont get locked up when you get home.

Tax has gone up to 750bt now and somehow we avoided paying it when we came back because of delays etc , we went through in front of hundreds of people and never paid any ? (nearly missed the bus though) but not our fault.

No problem on 1 day, no fee. I over stayed many times by 3-4 days due to delays with my project in Thailand andthen changing flights no seats etc. I have been given a 1 year visa afterwards with no questions.

My one friend over stayed 3 months and then went to Penang paid the fee on exiting thailand and was issued a 1 year Bussiness visa. However that was 3 years ago, dont know now if they are getting strict on these things.

If you are postive you will only be one day, then no worry about it, you are allowed 1 day free.

Hope this helps.

You wont pay a fine you wont go to jail you wont get locked up when you get home.

Tax has gone up to 750bt now and somehow we avoided paying it when we came back because of delays etc , we went through in front of hundreds of people and never paid any ? (nearly missed the bus though) but not our fault.

I read somewhere that new government regulations require that the fee be included in all airfares, so perhaps you didn't avoid paying it afterall. With all my AirAsia flights I've never had to pay it at the airport, but it is included in the ticket price.

Edited by tropo

I read somewhere that new government regulations require that the fee be included in all airfares, so perhaps you didn't avoid paying it afterall. With all my AirAsia flights I've never had to pay it at the airport, but it is included in the ticket price.

Them's the rules now. The airlines include departure tax in tickets nowdays and account to the government authority for payment.

yeah, my experience has been that fines only start for the second day. First day is free. In fact I was counted as overstayed 3 days when boarding a flight to Chiang Mai in 2003 and they just smiled and let me go - said nothing. That said they usually count it very carefully and demand full payment.

Also, I was denied a multiple entry tourist visa at the Thai Consulate in Yangoon. Their policy is if one has overstayed stamped in their passport they do not give multiple entry visas of any sort! only single entries. They explained that there are so many overstays by Burmese in Thailand that they have to exact policies to discourage this behavior.

Otherwise, my last passport had lots of couple 3 days overstay stamped throughout it after numerous travel in and out over 10 years and visas gotten everywhere from LA, NY USA, to Singapore, Laos, Ho Chi Minh, Yangoon, and a few I cant remember. Overstay was never mentioned as a negative, to my knowledge.

Paid for a three day overstay years ago and later got a non-imm visa and work permit using the same passport. I think it would only be a problem for long overstays or people who are actually arrested and deported for overstays.

Hi,

there is no problem for the future, if you pay your fine on the airport. But if you checked from the police before you reached the airport, you have muich trouble. You can´t go to the airport, you ygo in jail and must wait for you deportation. After this you are in the blacklist for many years.

Be carefully.....

Hi,

there is no problem for the future, if you pay your fine on the airport. But if you checked from the police before you reached the airport, you have much trouble. You can´t go to the airport, you go in jail directly and must wait for you deportation. After this you are in the blacklist for many years.

Be carefully.....

You still well be sent to the overstay desk at the aiport but like I said, no payment required, and the stamp they place in your passport says you were granted a 24 hour extension.

Can someone confirm that the stamp given for 1 day overstay actually says that it is a 24 hour extension, I don't have one to look at.

there is no problem for the future, if you pay your fine on the airport. But if you checked from the police before you reached the airport, you have muich trouble. You can´t go to the airport, you ygo in jail and must wait for you deportation. After this you are in the blacklist for many years.

Be carefully.....

You have to love some of the posters on TV,,,this is way OTT and would have me hiding in the jungle..for one day extension .... :o:D

Be carefully.....

You have to love some of the posters on TV,,,this is way OTT and would have me hiding in the jungle..for one day extension .... :o:D

one year ago, police made a check in BKK and catch 12 foreigners for overstay. 3 or 4 people had only 1 day about, nevertheless the can´t go away, they must go in jail same people had more days overstay - police not make different.

1 hour overstay or 3days - there is the same :-(

I was a couple of days late, paid for the extra days and forgot about it. On my way out of Thailand got stopped at immigration by some nasty chief who kept me there for a very long time and asked me many questions. Despite my politeness and attempts to speak in Thai to warm him up he was horrible to me about the overstay I had already paid for anyway. I have never had to overstay, I have a work permit and a respectable job. Some people just hate theirs and they think it's our fault..