What Is The Average Thai Wage ? And Could You Survive ?

churchill

I guess around 15,000 a month , but I know many on a lot less . I supppose many share accomodation or live with family but it does not give much spending money for entertainment etc .

However the best times in life are often , looking back , when one has very little but many friends .

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father-in-law makes about 12k per month when averaged out over a year. that's in a very poor part of issan. I don't know about others in their village but many are earning much much less.

There was an item in a national paper a few weeks ago on the guys that abseil down the high rise buildings cleaning windows

Their wage was 400 baht per day which would be about 10.000 baht per month.

This is one of the higher paying manual jobs

Edited by agudbuk

Thailand

Population: 64,865,523

Median age: 30.5 years

Population growth rate : 0.91%

Birth rate: 16.04/1000 population

Death rate: 6.94/1000 population

Life expectancy at birth:

Female: 73.71 years

Male: 69.23 years

Total population : 71.41 years

Population below poverty line: 10.4%

Workforce: 35,711,300

Agriculture: 49%

Services: 37

Industry:14%

Unemployment rate: 2.2%

Average salary : 7,015 bahts/month

http://www.thailand-focus.com/thailand.htm

Cheers

6000 is a 'normal' starting wage but most jobs tend to give a yearly bonus. 15K would likely be someone who's been with the same company for years, probably with a tertiary education.

Forgot to add that yes I could (do) survive..village life is much cheaper then city life and when you don't drink lao you save a lot of dosh!

Edited by RueFang

I'd imagine, very possibly erroneously, that rice costs much the same.

The doubling of oil prices over the last 5 years has had a knock on effect on market prices of all foodstuffs .. rice, chicken , pork....

I'd imagine, very possibly erroneously, that rice costs much the same.

The doubling of oil prices over the last 5 years has had a knock on effect on market prices of all foodstuffs .. rice, chicken , pork....

Obviously wage is important, but you have to look beyond that I reckon. In many families you usually have one big money earner by birth or marriage and the dosh gets spread around one way or another. Children also benefit from many gratuities from their parents along the way, the expectation being it will repaid in kind when the parents retire.

As in the west there is now a continuing cycle of debt among many low wage earners.

I stayed in a 500bht a night Bangkrapi hotel last year in BK and was surprised that they were advertising for staff, reception, security that type of thing and paying 12k a month.

Couldnt believe that the average is only 7k if thats what a security guard can make.

I stayed in a 500bht a night Bangkrapi hotel last year in BK and was surprised that they were advertising for staff, reception, security that type of thing and paying 12k a month.

Couldnt believe that the average is only 7k if thats what a security guard can make.

What do you think the interview is for? To find ways to nock the salary down. :o

Thailand

Population: 64,865,523

Median age: 30.5 years

Population growth rate : 0.91%

Birth rate: 16.04/1000 population

Death rate: 6.94/1000 population

Life expectancy at birth:

Female: 73.71 years

Male: 69.23 years

Total population : 71.41 years

Population below poverty line: 10.4%

Workforce: 35,711,300

Agriculture: 49%

Services: 37

Industry:14%

Unemployment rate: 2.2%

Average salary : 7,015 bahts/month

http://www.thailand-focus.com/thailand.htm

Cheers

good post ,that just about sums it all up for me ...

Easily, and I'd wager that a lot of folks around here could to (at least the forum members living out in the country... not all areas of course, as some places you simply can't live off the land) if they needed to. We have a self sustaining bass pond (and as densely populated as most temple klongs where they have no predators or fishermen to worry about) along with two water wells -have never drank the water, but our dogs manage to without dying... nor have I ever had to eat any of the fish, but some of our workers do from time to time seemingly without any issues-. Nuclear war or prolonged coup/revolution, we're set.

One thing the poor (and locals of all classes really) often have in their favor is that they still live under the same roof, which is often 100% equity (that's not including the folks that live beyond their means and buy into the whole credit and finance thing) + the whole pooling of resources thing as mentioned, so a lot of folks don't have that downward pressure of housing expenses -that's often true whether you sweep the streets or are fresh off the plane from growing up stateside like myself-. Utilities here are artificially low as well, one reason why you'll get these 'foreigners scratching their heads threads' on 'how the heck do they get by?'

:o

To live of little money takes creativtity, some mental rescources and a good attitude.

I lived for about 7 years on rent paid and 4000bht a week and was happy IN THE UK. Half the time was on the dole half the time at uni. I had no debt, no family support and to tell thr truth still was as happy as I am today. In some ways more so.

True you can't have kids on it.

16k UK costs must be no more than 8k here. So if no housing is involved, yes I do rekon I could live off it. And be happy.

There's no way you can state a relevant average for Thailand - it varies too much from place to place.

This is true, but you can break it down by professions.

Anyone who is a graduate and works in a Bank and speaks enough English to get by for example will earn a lot more than a Waitress or a Maid.

When I had a biz in BK I was paying English Speaking Grads 20,000 Baht a month.

When I had a biz in CM I was paying non-English speaking waitresses 5,000 Baht a month.

Its mainly (but not always the case) down to the education you receive as to how much earning power you can expect to have in LOS

Thailand is a country where you have the "HAVES" and the "HAVE NOTS". When you add their incomes together and average the number, it doesn't look that bad. In reality the have nots live on a pittance. We live up country and workers here are quite happy to receive 150 baht per day for working in the fields. They are NOT fortunate enough to have work every day. I would bet that not one in ten earn 7,000 baht per month.

Most factory workers expect an annual bonus of a minimum of 3 months' salary. So you must add at least 25% to the salary to arrive at a truer picture.

Then add in the value of free/subsidised food, uniform, housing etc.

Most factory workers expect an annual bonus of a minimum of 3 months' salary. So you must add at least 25% to the salary to arrive at a truer picture.

Then add in the value of free/subsidised food, uniform, housing etc.

I worked in two Thai factories and both paid minimum wage except to their key people. BONUS ?? Look up the minimum wage and you will get a better idea of what they actually make. Talking AVERAGE wage give you NO idea of what most Thais earn.

What do you think the interview is for? To find ways to nock the salary down. :o

12,000 per month.......... On average a Security guard works 80 hrs per week. = 29 baht per hour after tax..!!!!

Security at my Village, they get 6,000 baht per month, we have 3 that rotate shifts over the 24hrs..... so about 55 hrs week..

there is 63 detached houses here, we have our own owners management, road sweeper + lights + 2x rubbish collection week, we all pay 700 baht per month.

Edited by ignis

I am just about to take over a business outside Bkk and will inherit 6 staff. Their monthly salaries range between 4,500 and 8,000 baht per month. I was staggered when I found out.

Now I must decide how to deal with it. 4,500 is stupidly low but they still work there. Do I; put the wages up immediately, wait and see how they work and institute a range of performance or business related bonuses?

Or an I just being British about it. My wife says leave things as they are, this is Thailand.