Renting A Motorbike In Thailand

omgodess21

Does anyone know the procedures on hiring a motorbike/scooter for the day? On adverage how much it costs? Do you need to place a deposit etc? I know a lot of hotels offer this service, sounds like a great way to get around especially if the hotel is located away from the happening scene.

100-200 depending where you are and depending on the weapon but generally a 100/125 plastic pig. They won't ask for a license but you'll invariably need to leave your passport as deposit, or maybe 5,000 baht. While you won't need a Thai license to hire one, if the cops stop you you'll be fined about 200 baht for not having one. An IDP may sway them depending on time of month :o

Does anyone know the procedures on hiring a motorbike/scooter for the day? On adverage how much it costs? Do you need to place a deposit etc? I know a lot of hotels offer this service, sounds like a great way to get around especially if the hotel is located away from the happening scene.
Balls of steel ! :o

...but you'll invariably need to leave your passport as deposit,

Generally a copy is taken, rather than the original.

Wear a helmet, not doing so will give cause for the police to stop you thus leading to the question about IDPs etc.

Wear a helmet, not doing so will give cause for the police to stop you thus leading to the question about IDPs etc.

Perhaps the case with a large hotel but your average bike rental place doesn't have a photocopier under their desk, and besides, what's to stop you shifting the bike and jumping the border? Agree with your second point.

Do you think it sensible to hire a motor cycle, or any other vehicle without a valid driving licence ?

Would you do it in your home country ?? Stop and think of your situation if you should have an accident and hurt, main or even kill someone. No licence = Very big high jump to clear in my opinion!!

Perhaps the case with a large hotel but your average bike rental place doesn't have a photocopier under their desk, and besides, what's to stop you shifting the bike and jumping the border? Agree with your second point.

Before you leave your home country, make 4-5 copies of the main page of your passport (picture/passprt #). This will come in handy very often in Thailand. One use will be the motorcycle rental shops. NEVER leave your passport with them. A slight ding, or dent in the motorcycle (even if not caused by you, or if it was already dented and you didn't catch it) will cause your passport to be held hostage. And, they can demand whatever inflated price they want for fixing the problem, all the time holding your passport until you ante-up. Out of 4 motorcycle shops that will insist on taking your passport, one will accept a copy. Just keep looking. You should leave your passport at the hotel lobby main desk safe-deposit box (NOT the safe deposit in your room--also risky), and only carry copies with you. If you're ever stopped by the police, the copies will suffice.

Also, I always show the cycle shops or the authorities my home-country driving license (if asked for)--never a problem.

The above advice is based on experience in renting motorcycles in Phuket, Koh Phang Gna, Koh Samet and Koh Samui.

Edited by toptuan

:o Hi guys,

Thailand is not much different from the rest of the world. No license, no driving.....if you have an accident and no license you are up to your ears in the proverbial s... I would NEVER do it. Licenses here are simple to get. small test in English a bit of driving and you are done.

Anyway this is my take on this subject

Gerald

Before you leave your home country, make 4-5 copies of the main page of your passport (picture/passprt #). This will come in handy very often in Thailand. One use will be the motorcycle rental shops. NEVER leave your passport with them. A slight ding, or dent in the motorcycle (even if not caused by you, or if it was already dented and you didn't catch it) will cause your passport to be held hostage. And, they can demand whatever inflated price they want for fixing the problem, all the time holding your passport until you ante-up. Out of 4 motorcycle shops that will insist on taking your passport, one will accept a copy. Just keep looking. You should leave your passport at the hotel lobby main desk safe-deposit box (NOT the safe deposit in your room--also risky), and only carry copies with you. If you're ever stopped by the police, the copies will suffice.

Also, I always show the cycle shops or the authorities my home-country driving license (if asked for)--never a problem.

The above advice is based on experience in renting motorcycles in Phuket, Koh Phang Gna, Koh Samet and Koh Samui.

Do you think it sensible to hire a motor cycle, or any other vehicle without a valid driving licence ?

Would you do it in your home country ?? Stop and think of your situation if you should have an accident and hurt, main or even kill someone. No licence = Very big high jump to clear in my opinion!!

I actually don't think the criminal penalty would be much higher for not having a valid driving license but the owner's third party insurance would be invalidated, if you didn't have one. Even if you do have one, the insurance company will be adept at finding ways to wriggle out of responsibility. In any case they police would force you to pay cash on the nail to compensate your victims to get out of the cells (whether it was your fault or not) and any insurance pay out would come much later and would not go to you. The bottom line is that in the worst case scenario, it probably doesnt make much difference if you have a license or not. Just make sure you have plenty of cash available for emergencies.

I don't know if the Thai police accept international driving licenses for motor bikes. I do know that, due to a peculiarity, international driving licenses are only valid in Thailand for three months after they are issued, even if they are valid in the rest of the world for a year. My former company insurance provider once told us that it would only cover for foreign drivers on international licenses, if they are not based in Thailand and the IDP is not more than three months old. This prompted a rush to the licensing centre for color blindness tests and other hilarity but they are quite efficient now and licenses are issued quickly to those who have a valid foreign car driving license. All applicants for motor cycle licenses have to take the Thai test, regardless of what foreign license they have.

Don't forget to take a life insurance in your home country before coming here to rent a motorcycle!

:o

I do know that, due to a peculiarity, international driving licenses are only valid in Thailand for three months after they are issued, even if they are valid in the rest of the world for a year.

All applicants for motor cycle licenses have to take the Thai test, regardless of what foreign license they have.

Actually the IDP is valid for 90 days from arrival in Thailand, the clock re-starts if you do a border run so those on Tourist Visas are fine.

Didn't know about the motorcycle test thing, can anybody confirm?

I do know that, due to a peculiarity, international driving licenses are only valid in Thailand for three months after they are issued, even if they are valid in the rest of the world for a year.

All applicants for motor cycle licenses have to take the Thai test, regardless of what foreign license they have.

Actually the IDP is valid for 90 days from arrival in Thailand, the clock re-starts if you do a border run so those on Tourist Visas are fine.

I did not have to take a test for my car or motorcycle licence last February in Samui.

What a load of cobblers I have read on this thread. For the OP here is a bullet point guide:

1. NEVER leave your passport with any rental firm, copies will suffice 80% of the time.

2. ALWAYS wear a helmet, thats one of the coppers' favourite revenue raisers.

3. Expect to pay 150-200 baht per day rental for a 125 auto scooter type thing.

4. Deposit shouldn't be more than 1,000 baht.

5. A full driving license from your home country is perfectly acceptable. I was stopped several times on bikes before I got my Thai license, and there was never a problem with me producing my UK license.

6. 99.9% of rental companies have no insurance, and the document you sign says that you will be liable for all damages, so point 5 above will not invalidate your insurance.

Just to clarify some other points raised, if you have a bike license in your home country you don't need to do a bike test here. If you are coming on holiday this is irrelevant anyway as you have to have proof of residency to apply for a driving license.

Finally, unless you are an experienced biker back home, I would think twice about doing this. You will need eyes in the back of your head, cat like reactions, and nerves of steel to take on the traffic here on 2 wheels - you'll see what I mean when you get here. Also bikes are afforded no rights or priveledges by the 4 (or more) wheeled road users, and although the hospitals are cheap compared to the West, a lengthy stay can run into millions of baht.

I didn't have to take a test for a car or motorbike licence in Bangkok in November. I just showed them my UK licence and took the colour blindness, depth of vision and reaction tests then came out with the new style licences an hour or so later.