9 Killed, 27 Injured In Bus Accident

george

9 killed, 27 injured when bus overturns in Kanchanaburi

KANCHANABURI: -- A chartered bus heading to a monk's funeral overturned at a sharp curve, killing nine people and injuring 27 others.

Police said the accident happened at 7 am on the Thong Phaphume - Sangkha Buri Road at a downhill sharp curve.

Police said the bus lost control while was going downhill and encounter the sharp curve, causing it to overturn.

Eight died inside the bus and another died on the way to the hospital. Those who were killed were seven women and two men.

Five of the injured were in severe condition and were forwarded from the Sangkha Buri Hospital to the Kanchanaburi Hospital.

The bus driver, Prapasrat Saengthon, 57, fled the scene.

Police said the bus was heading to the funeral of Luangpor Janthima, the late abbot of Wat Wang Wiwekaram in Sangkha Buri.

-- The Nation 2008-01-26

In the past I thought the drivers fled the scene to avoid legal action, but it just might be to avoid getting a beating by the survivors... I know I would be rather pissed off if a crazy driver caused me bodily harm. I can run fairly fast, so he better get a good jump. :o

Why on earth does almost every single news story involving damage to propoerty or persons intentional or not have a sentence at the bottom saying : "So and so fled the scene", it's ridiculous.

Damian

Is the news article ridiculous in it's reporting or is the driver being ridiculous when he flees the scene?

I am inclined to agree with Galong, more likely to be fearful of their lives from a passenger lynching when they realise the consequences of what was probably reckless driving.

Wat Wang Wiwekaram in Sangkha Buri.

-- The Nation 2008-01-26

Wat Wang Wiwekaram

This extensive temple on the southern outskirts of Sangkhla Buri edges on Khao Laem reservoir. The complex is constructed in an unusual mix of Thai, Indian, and Burmese Buddhist architectural styles, and the abbot Luang Pho Uttama is highly revered among local people, including tribal folk and Burmese.

large.jpg

Rest in Peace

Kan Win :o

Why on earth does almost every single news story involving damage to propoerty or persons intentional or not have a sentence at the bottom saying : "So and so fled the scene", it's ridiculous.

Damian

You still don't get it?

To avoid the possibility of being killed at scene.

It is the bloody culture!

Damian

Is the news article ridiculous in it's reporting or is the driver being ridiculous when he flees the scene?

I am inclined to agree with Galong, more likely to be fearful of their lives from a passenger lynching when they realise the consequences of what was probably reckless driving.

It could also have been bad vehicle maintenance? Who knows?

Damian

Ever seen a Thai walk up to the front of the bus and tap the driver on the shoulder to then tell him to slow down? Never happens. Face kills and no one learns. Will happen again in a week or so.

I was in a bus full with 60 schoolkids and teachers the first weeks I was here and asked a Thai teacher what was going on with the bus driver being so careless? "Don't worry, it's normal" :o

Never again, even my wife doesn't get to drive.

Damian

Ever seen a Thai walk up to the front of the bus and tap the driver on the shoulder to then tell him to slow down? Never happens. Face kills and no one learns. Will happen again in a week or so.

I was in a bus full with 60 schoolkids and teachers the first weeks I was here and asked a Thai teacher what was going on with the bus driver being so careless? "Don't worry, it's normal" :o

I am very concerned about your safety in thailand! Do you need any help to leave? :D

I hate to see people suffer.

Did I hear someone mentioning that the driver fled the scene?

Anyway a sad and tragic accident that could be prevented.

Heard on the news that the bus was going downhill and flipped over in a sharp corner, so either the driver was not familiar with the road or just reckless.

Couse and effect. is there a Thai translation for that?

I took a long bus trip two times in Thailand but will never ever again.

I remember one where the driver constantly fell asleep and his assistant waking him up by giving a good shake.

A few other foreigners also noticed this and we discussed and demanded the bus to stop and let us out and get the tourleader book us for the next bus.

Yes tourguide asked us many times why you want to go out, bla bla.

Had to wait about 4 hours but at least we felt more safe.

If this is the final descent into Sangkhlaburi, it is very steep and there are numerous signs stating "Use low gear" and surprisingly the regular passenger buses do, crawling down the hill in first gear. This was a chartered bus and as such is traditionally associated with very low driving standards.

Damian

I am very concerned about your safety in thailand! Do you need any help to leave? :D

If you're trying to be sarcastic, let me deflate your balloon over in Hong Kong by saying for the umpteenth time on here that I'm on my way out. You need not worry about my and my family's safety any longer.

Damian

If you're trying to be sarcastic, let me deflate your balloon over in Hong Kong by saying for the umpteenth time on here that I'm on my way out. You need not worry about my and my family's safety any longer.

So everything is going as normal in LOS. Thanks for the input Tony.

Perhaps the driver fled to avoid having to take a drug or alcohol test after the accident. A number of road users (car, taxi, truck and bus drivers) in Thailand take stimulants to stay awake.

My condolences to the relatives of the dead and I wish a speedy recovery to those injured.

Another reason why I take a 'private tour' rather than public transport where possible in Thailand.

Peter

In the past I thought the drivers fled the scene to avoid legal action, but it just might be to avoid getting a beating by the survivors... I know I would be rather pissed off if a crazy driver caused me bodily harm. I can run fairly fast, so he better get a good jump. :o

I fear Galong is probably correct.

Having spent protracted time in India, it was almost inevitable that reporting of very frequent bus crashes would conclude with the same statement. " the driver fled the scene".

My uderstanding there was, that whether or not the driver was responsible for the accident, staying around would more than likely involve his being beating up or worse.

Great shame and a great pity that we have these dreadful maimings and losses of life. My sympathies to the families.

If blame is to be laid, it should come to rest, finally, at the feet of the authorities. Ultimately, they should ensure that all checks and balances are in place.

As mentioned above, the Thai drivers may fear the bystanders beating them or worse. This is a frequent thing in India, as I personally watched a group tip a bus over and set it on fire, after it hit and killed a pedistrian. It would no doubt help to have drivers of all commercial vehicles trained and tested prior to letting them behind the wheel with passengers depending on them to get from point a to b, safely. In this part of the world where luck (good or bad) is blamed for ones fortune, dont hold your breath.

The death toll bumped up... with more possible as 9 others are critically injured...it was one those double-deckers with such a high center of gravity... the fleeing driver was caught and more about the cause of the accident...

Ten killed, dozens hurt in chartered bus crash

Ten people were killed and dozens injured when a two-decker bus overturned on a sharp curve in Sangkhla Buri district yesterday, police said. The chartered bus was carrying mourners who were to attend the cremation of Phra Khru Kanchanasitthisarn, the late acting abbot of Wat Wang Wiwekarama in Sangkhla Buri, when it overturned on the downhill curve of Kanchanaburi-Sangkhla Buri road in tambon Nong Lu. Eight passengers were killed instantly and two others was pronounced dead at hospital. Nine injured passengers are in critical condition. Driver Papatras Saengthon, 57, fled the scene but was arrested later while boarding another bus. He told police that the accident took place while the bus was following a 10-wheel truck downhill. The truck suddenly stopped at the curve and the bus crashed into its rear. Mr Papatras lost control of the bus which fell down the slope, crashed into roadside barriers and overturned.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/27Jan2008_news06.php

Edited by sriracha john

Bus drivers in Thailand drive like idiots.

Suprised this doesn't happen every day.

Thai bus drivers are idiots.

Wrong. This is a dangerous generalisation. 15 years ago MANY Thai bus and trick drivers were idiots. Now, among the survivors, there are only SOME.

The man at the wheel of this sadly sounds to be one.

Thai bus drivers used to be (maybe some still are) under ORDERS by their employers to flee the scene of a big accident to try to ensure that the insurers pay up. To help the man escape, they were under orders to carry a drivers licence using a false name and address so they were unlikely to be traced. Their jobs were held open for them (if they complied) and they would be re-employed when they re-appeared. Provided they had A NEW false name and address of course!

There are still rogue bus operators behaving like this and if there was any value placed on the life of 'low class' Thais around here (those who have to travel by bus), the government would have cleaned this up long ago. No chance under the new gang in charge now, I fear.

Last and not least, when WILL the press (and I mean the English language press) report that the DRIVER lost control? We are told that "The bus lost control......."!!

No it bloody well didn't. It's an inanimate object. And thus FAR more responsible than the driver on this tragic occasion!!

Ends rant.

Last and not least, when WILL the press (and I mean the English language press) report that the DRIVER lost control? We are told that "The bus lost control......."!!

No it bloody well didn't. It's an inanimate object. And thus FAR more responsible than the driver on this tragic occasion!!

Associated Press:

The accident occurred after the driver lost control of the bus in Kanchanaburi province.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5grDmJGV...abCcPwD8UDDB1G0

=============================

Canadian Press:

They say they're investigating whether the crash was caused by a break failure or by negligence from the driver.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...XSGg2DJyJ1nHnVQ

Confirmation of the increased death toll...

10 killed in bus plunge

Eight women and two men were killed and 26 injured yesterday when their chartered coach drove off a sharp downhill curve in Sangkhla Buri district on its way to a monk's funeral.

At 7am the bus lost control while negotiating the "1,000-Corpse Curve" on the Thong Phaphume-Sangkhla Buri Road. Eight passengers died inside the bus, one on the way to Pahol Polpayuha Sena Hospital and the last one at the hospital.

The driver, Prapasrat Saengthon, 57, fled but was caught in the afternoon on a Bangkok-bound bus at a checkpoint in Muang Kanchanaburi.

Prapasrat said a 10-wheel truck had slowed down at the curve so he had tried to brake but the brakes had not worked. The bus hit the truck's rear and overturned. "I'm willing to face all consequences of this accident," he said.

- The Nation