Beware Of Deplorable True Internet

absolutelyBangkok

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a True 2.5meg connection, and I download a lot from Usenet. About 7-10 days back I noticed a sudden drop overnight in my download speed from 278kbs to <50kbs. I watched this for a few days and then called True who said they didnt cap that port (119). I changed to another port a few days later and suddenly got my max speed back again for a couple days but today it is suddenly struggling to go over 50kbs again. That represents in both cases a deliberate action to cut the bandwidth by 80%. I am now paying for a 2.5mb service but only receiving a 500kb service. I am fed up with this, True told me that they didnt cap the ports but clearly the service is being deliberately capped.

The Exact thing happened to me. Port 119 work fine for a few months then all of a sudden even at early times in the morning, the speed wents from about 250KB down to 15KB - 25KB. Thats a reduction of over 90%. Switched over to another port and all fine for a couple of weeks, and now as of yesterday same thing. They have capped the port about 90%. I think it clearly shows they are deliberately doing this.

I am now paying for a 2.5mb service but only receiving a 500kb service. I am fed up with this, True told me that they didnt cap the ports but clearly the service is being deliberately capped.

Suggest you cut your plan closer to what you actually get. I cut a 1MB to 512 and noticed no change in speed (and saved a little bit of money, though the exercise was more about making a statement that failing to deliver was going to cost them some bucks. Not that they cared).

i was a TRUE subscriber when i was in Bangkok, until end of 2007. i was on the 2mbps package for about a year and a half. i have to say in more than 18 mos of my subscription, i only recall two instances when my internet speed bogged down. im a heavy torrent user (i usually d/l about 10GB worth of media per week) and almost always on the web every night so i would instantly notice any dip in speed. i used to live in soi 2 sukhumvit. it might not be relevant to recent developments in the submarine cable problems but as recent as late january, i have access to my friend's True 2mbps line (they live in soi 10) and everything seems normal.

on the contrary, now that i've moved to pattaya (nongprue municipality), i'm stuck with ToT. i have a 1mbps line and after a week of wrangling with their customer service to fix my initial connection (no incoming adsl signal), i was finally online BUT speedtests have never given me more than one quarter of my published speed.

i can only say i miss my true service.

true2.jpg

And I have a 4 Mb Line!!!!!!! Need I say anymore.

I have also been in contact with true on numerous occassions and for the first few conversations with them they all but denied that there is a problem at all. Although on my latest conversation with they conceded that there is a problem which is some sort of progress at least. Still nothing has been solved though.

Apologies for the poor quality image.

The speeds should read 269 kb/s down and 156 kb/s up.

Edited by SWINDON MASSIF

Its the same thing here, guys. Starting 6pm to around midnight, I can barely use the internet. I am lucky if a page loads after hitting refresh 10x and waiting for 15 minutes. And I'm on a 900+ Baht package.

By the way, the crap speeds are just on the regular ports for services like http, pop, etc. When I use random ports for torrent downloads, I get speeds of 150k+ at the same time. So it's not that they overloaded the connections, but they are capping certain ports.

Edited by rainman

Its the same thing here, guys. Starting 6pm to around midnight, I can barely use the internet. I am lucky if a page loads after hitting refresh 10x and waiting for 15 minutes. And I'm on a 900+ Baht package.

By the way, the crap speeds are just on the regular ports for services like http, pop, etc. When I use random ports for torrent downloads, I get speeds of 150k+ at the same time. So it's not that they overloaded the connections, but they are capping certain ports.

A bit of a guess here, but I think it's their methods of preventing people going to evil, dangerous and just downright not-on websites that is somewhat responsible for the slowdown.

Perhaps it's an old 386 running at the back of the CAT building running DOS and some packet-sniffing software. And Autoflight.

I had ture in Bangkok and swiched to ji-net. I had the true 2mb SME package, it was so bad I could not even use my voange. True does Port shapeing so when thier bandwith ruuns out the only thing that works in web search. My seeds where 100 to 200 kps on true. was paying 2,500 THB. I swiched to Jinet 1mb plan and get 800 kps down on internetan l site any time day or night, in fact I get teh same test on thai sies and USA sites for download. It si great, do NOT falll for the speed crap it means nothikng, they may have 60 users shareing you internationl bandwith or more. the only one that is worse the true is TOT. I have TOT at my place in Pattaya, very very bad once agin, pay 1,000 THB for 2mb but in the day time get 100 kps download form the USA test site speekeasey San Francisco. The thai website get 1700 kps. This is crazy I advise ieveryone that useing edge is faster then the max package you can get with true or TOT so if you only can get those 2 you should just forget it and ue Edge. I have been in Thailand 7 years and the truth is the last 1 or 2 years things have gotten worse NOT better so thknking things wiell get beter with the new bifer to teh USA may only be false hlope. ONce agian the CAT will control this bandwith.. Just a few years ago thailand was braging to the world tha they wanted to be an eComerce headquaters of the world, ha ha ha ha. The only places the internet is worse then thailand is Lao and Cambodi, well I was thodl thier internet comes through or from thailand so I guess that is why!!! if you come here to do business on the net I suggest you think twice buy th time you pay 50 k for a 1mb dedicated line I think you could reant a nice place in any nice city in the world....good luck with your ISP but things will NOT get better anytime soon that is one thing we can say for sure!!!