Smoking Ban

Basil B

Well apparently it's not 'really' breaking the law until June 1st (at least they won't be enforcing it until then :o ). As I mentioned on another thread the bars are realising this and bringing the ashtrays back out. Hurrah. By the time May 31st comes the law will be unenforcable.

As for your petty comments trying to demean me, I don't ride a scooter, and very rarely go to beer bars.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweetchariot,

Even if I do not like you a lot based on your previous posts on various threads, I still think you should be allowed to smoke, but in areas designated for smokers. I did smoke a lot myself 5 years ago, but quit and is happy about that. But I see the need for someone not yet ready to quit to smoke.

As long as you do not inflict any suffering on others, please go ahead. As with most other stuff.

You seem to be an intelligent person, and I am sure you can handle responsible smoking for a while, until it will become almost impossible to smoke anywhere. Just be prepared for that day, and avoid becoming one of the lepers...

Yesterday I had a look around in Pattaya, and while most places now had the ashtrays back on the tables :o there were only 1 or 2 customers in each bar actually pestering the air for the rest (30-40 guest). So much for 1/3 of the world are smokers. :D

Yes there seems to be a chill out feeling around this at present. And it is true there is flexibility until 31 May 2008. Then we will have to watch and wait..BIB..BIB..BIB

Yesterday I had a look around in Pattaya, and while most places now had the ashtrays back on the tables :o there were only 1 or 2 customers in each bar actually pestering the air for the rest (30-40 guest). So much for 1/3 of the world are smokers. :D

Well since you doubt my words, have a look here :

http://www.wpro.who.int/media_centre/fact_...fs_20020528.htm

onzestan

onzestan:

Everybody should read your link, particularly those that insist they need to smoke.

I point out those parts of your link that say....

=====Smoking related diseases kill one in 10 globally....

=====Every 8 seconds, someone dies from tobacco use.

But again, don't let me try to influence you. The article also points out that it is estimated that each and every cigarette you smoke takes five minutes off your life. Puff away and watch the second hand move along.

onzestan:

Everybody should read your link, particularly those that insist they need to smoke.

I point out those parts of your link that say....

=====Smoking related diseases kill one in 10 globally....

=====Every 8 seconds, someone dies from tobacco use.

But again, don't let me try to influence you. The article also points out that it is estimated that each and every cigarette you smoke takes five minutes off your life. Puff away and watch the second hand move along.

Here's another link :http://www.gdcada.org/statistics/alcohol.htm

where following statistic can be found :

Alcohol Statistics

• More than 100,000 U.S. deaths are caused by excessive alcohol consumption each year. Direct and indirect causes of death include drunk driving, cirrhosis of the liver, falls, cancer, and stroke.1

• At least once a year, the guidelines for low risk drinking are exceeded by an estimated 74% of male drinkers and 72% of female drinkers aged 21 and older.2

• 65% of youth surveyed said that they got the alcohol they drink from family and friends.7

• Nearly 14 million Americans meet diagnostic criteria for alcohol use disorders.5

• Youth who drink alcohol are 50 times more likely to use cocaine than those who never drink alcohol.3

• Among current adult drinkers, more than half say they have a blood relative who is or was an alcoholic or problem drinker.1

• Across people of all ages, males are four times as likely as females to be heavy drinkers.1

• More than 18% of Americans experience alcohol abuse or alcohol dependence at some time in their lives.6

• Traffic crashes are the greatest single cause of death for persons aged 6–33. About 45% of these fatalities are in alcohol-related crashes.4

• Underage drinking costs the United States more than $58 billion every year — enough to buy every public school student a state-of-the-art computer.2

• Alcohol is the most commonly used drug among young people.1

• Problem drinkers average four times as many days in the hospital as nondrinkers — mostly because of drinking-related injuries.1

Alcohol kills 6½ times more youth than all other illicit drugs combined.2

• Concerning the past 30 days, 50% of high school seniors report drinking, with 32% report being drunk at least once.2

Kind of sobering don't you think.

onzestan

• 3 months later...

This article was dated May 2002.

Well since you doubt my words, have a look here :

http://www.wpro.who.int/media_centre/fact_...fs_20020528.htm

onzestan

• 2 weeks later...

Im a smoker but it should be banned in the bars but only cause my wife tries to hit me with the ashtray when im pissed and making a fool of myself.Scotland had ban couple years nothing really changed people still smoke but more bars closing down.Pattaya bars need smokers money im afraid.

There are two groups of people who really get on my nerves. The reformed smokers are the worst followed up by the born again christians. I NEVER expected Thailand to ban smoking in bars but since they have they have saved me money. If I can't smoke in a bar I don't go in. Open air bars are normally much cheaper. It should be up to the bar owners. If they want to have a no smoking bar that is OK with me.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Smoking Ban to come back Pattaya tomorrow, stronger :o

They held a meeting last week of bar owners/managers where the health officer from the province (Chonburi) came down and gave his opinions on where and when it was permissible to smoke. He did state that you shouldn't smoke on the street in front of the bar if there are people passing by.

The word is that Bangkok police will be coming down to Pattaya to ensure enforcement of the ban...

starting around the 10th of the month.

:D

Hi,

Smoking Ban to come back Pattaya tomorrow, stronger :o

They held a meeting last week of bar owners/managers where the health officer from the province (Chonburi) came down and gave his opinions on where and when it was permissible to smoke. He did state that you shouldn't smoke on the street in front of the bar if there are people passing by.

The word is that Bangkok police will be coming down to Pattaya to ensure enforcement of the ban...

starting around the 10th of the month.

:D

Well, as many said when these regulations were introduced, at the end of the day, it will just be another source of revenue for the Thai Mafia, AKA, BIB.

The name of the game is:

1.Bring in a new law, solicit backhanders from all those who fail to comply, generally due to ignorance, as all laws are carefully written so that they are ambiguous and confusing.

2. After a period of time, relax enforcement of the new law, and then when enough people/establishments are no longer complying, have a new round of storm trooping, and collect again. And so on, ad infinitem.

BTW I am a non smoker so have no vested interest.

• 6 months later...

I know the smoking ban is being enforced in many places in Thailand, and I am thankful for that. But by far, Koh Samui is the worst offender. There are only a handful of restaurants on Samui, that even have signs posted. It is the worst location in Thailand for non-smokers. I have walked into restaurants and asked for the non-smoking section, and they look at you like you are from Mars. The normal response is, "no problem, you can smoke anywhere". Talk about missing the point. There is not a single government official that cares, or has made any effort. The mayor is lazy, corrupt, and all talk, and no action. He must be voted out next time, but still nothing will change, unless someone in power in Bangkok embarrasses them into submission. The mayor has been informed of the problem, and he promised to set up an enforcement group to go around and inspect every restaurant and bar on the island. As far as we know, not a single one was ever inspected. Talk about bluster. Talk about lack of initiative. Talk about ineffective. Talk about a lack of leadership. Talk about weak and dishonest. Someone has to do something. It has to come from the top. The police cannot be counted on to contribute to the well being of anybody in Koh Samui. They only respond where there is money involved in Samui. There seems to be little incentive for them to enforce the law there, as there is no political pressure on them. Samui is Thailand's "forgotten country".