Road Accident Involving Death?

jaywalker

I just read an article in this week's Pattaya Mail

(see: Finnish motorcyclist killed in head-on collision at http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd10 -- it's the 10th link down the page).

To summarize, a Brit was driving a small car along minding hie own business, when this Finnish guy comes tearing out of a soi on a motorcycle, going the wrong direction at high speed, and was not wearing his helmet.

The Finnish guy dies, and the Brit is "provisionally" charged with "reckless driving that caused an accident, damage to property, and death".

Why was he charged with anything?

What does "provisionally charged" mean?

Assuming he has 'decent' insurance, what will his insurance company do?

What will happen to the Brit?

(see: Finnish motorcyclist killed in head-on collision at http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd10 -- it's the 10th link down the page).

To summarize, a Brit was driving a small car along minding hie own business, when this Finnish guy comes tearing out of a soi on a motorcycle, going the wrong direction at high speed, and was not wearing his helmet.

The Finnish guy dies, and the Brit is "provisionally" charged with "reckless driving that caused an accident, damage to property, and death".

after investigating, the police must have deduced that the brit was driving recklessly and that death resulted. Sounds like the police did not believe the brit's complete story. Perhaps the finnish guy came out of the soi slowly to try and cross the road and this brit driving recklessly plows into the poor sod

anyway, being involved in an accident with a bike while you are driving a car is one of the worst thing that can happen here. Whoever's fault it is , does not matter. The car driver will always bear all responsibilities.

A bike cuts your path, flat out, driver is drunk as a skunk, 3 passengers, no helmet, wrong way....you hit , you pay !

Drive defensively....that might help......

anyway, being involved in an accident with a bike while you are driving a car is one of the worst thing that can happen here. Whoever's fault it is , does not matter. The car driver will always bear all responsibilities.

A bike cuts your path, flat out, driver is drunk as a skunk, 3 passengers, no helmet, wrong way....you hit , you pay !

Actualy that is not the case at all. I was involved in an accident up North, I was driving a car and a bike crashed a red light and hit me and bounced off and hit another car. I received compensation for the damages the next morning in cash at the police station and there was never any hint of me being fingered for anything. It all depends on the circumstances.

Actualy that is not the case at all. I was involved in an accident up North, I was driving a car and a bike crashed a red light and hit me and bounced off and hit another car. I received compensation for the damages the next morning in cash at the police station and there was never any hint of me being fingered for anything. It all depends on the circumstances.

Glad to read that it'd gone well for you....Unfortunately, this is not always like that, I paid to know it....Luckily, no one was seriously injured ....

If things are changing, well, that's at least a good thing

Me, too, didn't pay, that is.

A couple months back was going to the Thai post office at Klong 6.  Stopped for the red light before turning right towards the Thanyaburi hospital and the PO.  Right turn green arrow came on, which means the east bound traffic has a red, started my right turn when a motorcycle zoomed out against the red.  Note, there's a policeman right there at the intersection.  I couldn't avoid the motorcycle, he couldn't avoid me, and he whooped into my van's left side passenger door.  I stopped, motorcycle & driver laying on the ground.

He got up and picked up his bike.  I walked around to get a photo with my digital camera,  cop came out, looked a me, looked at the bike rider.  I said "hmmm, doot fai dang,"  cop nodded, I held up two fingers and said "song pan, laew luang," cop nodded again.  The bike rider pulled out the two grey notes and handed them over, we cleared the intersection, and that was it.

Mac

It does depend on circumstances. Been hit three times by motorbikes. First time in Bangkok. Was turning left with turn signal on. He tried passing on left. Not much damage, nobody hurt, wife gave him a good scolding before he high tailed off. Second in Rayong. Again turning, this time right with turn signal on. She tried passing on right and again nobody hurt and no visible damage. She appologised before taking off. Third time my fault. making a uturn from accross the lane, had my signal on but did not see him try to pass. He bounced off my right front fender. Not much damage and nobody hurt. Surprisingly he was wearing a helmet. But he tried to get a lot of money. He had no license, registration, insurance. We waited for our agent to show up. Basically told the kid to take 200 baht and be on his way or we will have to go to the police station and argue it out there which will cost him and us more time and money than either on cares. Insurance paid for repairs to my truck.

You can drive defensive, yeah, but they still come at you from all directions. Usually, in my case from behind.

I know a case of a colleague, who's care was hit by a motorbike crossing at red light, driver died. My colleague was not guilty, acc. to the Police, no charges from the Police but anyway had to pay 100k Bht + to the family. So much depends on the circumstances, as always in Thailand.

BS, I was at the scene shortly after it happened. Obviously the Finn went head on into the Brit's car. Just as obviously the Finn's bike tore the fender off off the Brit's car, his head broke the Brit's windshield and then dented the car between the windshield and the door. The Finn's motorbike lay on the side of the road with his helmet attached to the bike. It was one of those B300 helmets that probably would have done him no good even if he was wearing it, but a proper UK or US helmet would have probably saved his life.

Rumor has it that the Finn got married the day before and was still drunk when the accident happened. Police always arrest the Farrang regardless of fault for no more than interrogation, to see what insurance he has and how good his legal representation is so they can determine how much of a fine they can assess.

The may Mayors office and high court officials have spoke at the PCEC and assured us that Farangs get equal treatment under Thai law. It will be interesting if someone will follow up on this and verify.

Howard, Pattaya City News are you there????

Edited by bob4you

What I have been told by my Thai wife is that the police will provisionally charge anyone Farang & Thai if there is loss of life. When they are sure it is not your fault & your insurance will help you in this, Then you will be released. It is also very important to have no 1 insurance & a good lawyer. :o

• 4 weeks later...

This happens only if you let it happen. It seems to be the going perception with the Thais because everyone says that. Personally, I had two accidents with a motorcycle while driving a pick up and wasn't responsible for any of the damages. Normally, all you have to do is say lets call the Police and it is settled right there. Most drivers, especially motorcycle drivers are either under age, don't hold a legitimate driving license and don't have the required insurance. The last thing they want is to see the police. As long as you do have everything covered, this is a big leverage point for you against such a situation.

Of course, if you are at fault, you should politely make a reasonable settlement and move on.

Martian