Bank Statements For Uk Settlement Visa

I have 6 months of bank statements but the last one is dated 2nd of Jan this year. Due to the police check and various other things our application wont be in until the 7th Feb. Is this too late? Will my finances be out of date? Similar problem with my credit card statements!

One other thing is that we are using my parents accommodation up in Newcastle, where as I work all over the UK and spend allot of time in London; also my company is registered in London.

If all these components add up to a prospected failure, I think it will be better if just go for a tourist visa. We did this last year with my parents as the sponsors and were successful. What do you think??? Moose

Moose

What do you want to do? Visit UK with your g/f/Wife or Settle in UK, you should apply for the Visa that suits your requirements, not the one that appears the easiest.

What police checks?, Police checks are not required for a UK visa application (settlement or visitor)

Your bank statements will be recent enough after all if you are in Thailand a month before your application you wouldn't have access to

your most recent statement.

As for your address/accommodation, you can explain it all in a covering letter with the application so as to leave no question in the mind of the ECO. The way I read it you will be living in Newcastle and working throughout UK, sounds OK to me. You must show that there is sufficient and suitable accommodation for you both when you arrive.

Cheers for the quick reply Mahout. We want to settle in the UK but if we have no chance of getting that visa this year, at least my wife could come as a tourist for a bit while I strengthen my application. I guess I'm just getting pre-application jitters.

I was aware that my wife has to undergo a police check by the Thai Special branch to check if she has a criminal record ect; as well as a TB check.

Cheers for the quick reply Mahout. We want to settle in the UK but if we have no chance of getting that visa this year, at least my wife could come as a tourist for a bit while I strengthen my application. I guess I'm just getting pre-application jitters.

I was aware that my wife has to undergo a police check by the Thai Special branch to check if she has a criminal record ect; as well as a TB check.

Your wife needs a certificate stating she is clear of TB , you get this in Thailand , UK immigration may ask to see it on her arrival in the UK.

BTW, My wife got the TB cert but was never asked for it , some weeks later she was sent a letter asking her to attend a "verbal " exam at the local healthcentre , they asked to see any Innoculation scars .

We showed them the TB cert and they said they had never seen one before!

Get one before she leaves though! The office we used is on Silom rd between patpong 1 and 2!

Jan statements are fine - it is unlikely you would have received more statements and if the 6 months worth are reflecting the same story then that will be fine. I only produced as up to date as I could which was fine.

As someone already pointed out - you don't need a police check for Uk purposes - and why would the Thais request it.

I have often wondered why they don't ask for this to be honest - or perhaps in most countries a clean one could be bought for the right money anyway - but I am getting off track!

I have 6 months of bank statements but the last one is dated 2nd of Jan this year. Due to the police check and various other things our application wont be in until the 7th Feb. Is this too late? Will my finances be out of date? Similar problem with my credit card statements!

One other thing is that we are using my parents accommodation up in Newcastle, where as I work all over the UK and spend allot of time in London; also my company is registered in London.

If all these components add up to a prospected failure, I think it will be better if just go for a tourist visa. We did this last year with my parents as the sponsors and were successful. What do you think??? Moose

Hi Moose

There are a couple of things here that you might need to address. Firstly, it sounds like you're self-employed. If so, you'll need to supply certified accounts to back up your claim of earnings. It's not quite so easy for self-employed people.

The key statement by the UK Immigration is: That your spouse shall have secure lodging and sufficient monies to ensure a resonable standard of living, and that she shall not have recourse to public funds. If you can prove this, then you'll get her settlement visa.

The other problem you might have is that you will not be living in your own home, but will rely on your parents. You might need to seek advice on this one. Some Immigration officials are very anal at interpreting the rules, and might view the fact that you are not living in your own place as a failure on your part to provide adequate accommodation. I'm not trying to put out your firework here - just being realistic. I have known of a case similar to this where the visa was refused because of the same thing.

About the TB thing. No prior health screening should be necessary (it wasn't when I went through this process some 7 years ago, but the rules might have changed). When I did this, on arrival at LHR my new wife was asked to undergo a medical (they have a small medical dept at terminal 3 immigration) where she had a chest X-ray and they looked at her previous innoculation scars, etc. Lasted about 1/2 hour. Then they let us through without problem.

Remember that the settlement visa is really YOU being under the microscope, and not HER - as is the case with a tourist visa. I found that the more paperwork you have the better, as all officials are the same and really cream themselves if you have lots of coloured stamps, etc. But the most important thing is to prove you have more than adequate funds, a continuing source of imcome into the foreseeeable future (not easy to prove this if you're self-employed) and a bona-fide place to live, with some degree of permenance - maybe your parent's place will suffice, but it would be worth getting a letter of support from them to the effect that they won't throw you out after 2 months. If it were me I would get them to have this letter verified and sealed by a notary public, after which for good measure take it to the Foreign Office (not far from Westminster Abbey) and get them to verify the Notary's signature.

When I went through all this it took me about 3 weeks of to-ing and fro-ing and collecting documents. At the Embassy they will interview you both together and individually. Be sure to get your stories synchronised. Even after all of this, it's down to the individual who interviews you and really quite arbitrary whether they award or not. If they don't you have no recourse and they don't need to explain their reasons, but will write a spurious reason on a pro-forma sheet that you'll be issued with that will fail to explain adequately why they chose not to issue the visa.

If all your paperwork is in order, you have a good (90%+) chance of getting the visa issued.

I wish you both good luck.

cheers all for taking the time to reply. I have a signed letter of invitation from my parents (we stayed there last year on my wifes tourist visa) although it isn't sealed or verified by the home office; we did the same last year and succeeded( my parents were the financial sponsors then though). From what I've heard 3rd party accommodation sponsors are permitted for residency visas.

As far as my accounts go, I have my bank statements showing regular money credited to my account from the main company that I am a contractor for, I have all of my invoices to them and a letter from my accountant. I've only been in business for 7 months or so. ( would a letter from that company stating that there is continuous work for me help?)

Either way I'm starting to feel the pressure.........

cheers all for taking the time to reply. I have a signed letter of invitation from my parents (we stayed there last year on my wifes tourist visa) although it isn't sealed or verified by the home office; we did the same last year and succeeded( my parents were the financial sponsors then though). From what I've heard 3rd party accommodation sponsors are permitted for residency visas.

As far as my accounts go, I have my bank statements showing regular money credited to my account from the main company that I am a contractor for, I have all of my invoices to them and a letter from my accountant. I've only been in business for 7 months or so. ( would a letter from that company stating that there is continuous work for me help?)

I don't know what your parents gave for your tourist visa but they should show evidence that the property is theirs to offer (council tax bill or similar) state how many are currently living there and that there is sufficient room for you to stay in addition. There is no need for verification or certification of such a letter. 3rd party assistance with accommodation is accepted for a settlement visa

Any letter from the company which indicates that your contract is ongoing and that they foresee it to continue is, of course, worth including.